“Gorgeous setting and great food”

Chapter house tea rooms Kilkenny
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Ireland
“Gorgeous setting and great food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

This little cafe is worth seeking out for a spot of lunch on the grounds of st Mary's cathedral. It's really warm and inviting with lovely windows and arched doorway. There's seating outside also for when the sun is shining surrounded by the cathedral.

The menu has lots of choice and there's a specials board too - great for me, I'm a veggie but also for the carnivore hubby. I had the nut loaf and he had seafood chowder and a beef lasagne. Really tasty and looked great. Yummy desserts too. Chocolate biscuit cake and real homemade apple tart.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Reasonable prices for great food.
Would def go back for lunch or just a coffee. Lovely spot to meet for a chat with friends.
No complaints here, nom nom nom.

2 Thank EmmaClare

kerry
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“our visit to kilkenny”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The chapter house is hidden away and should be the highlight of anyones visit to this historical city. We were seeing the sights and happen to find the chapter house. In the quaint surroundings of the Cathedral, we entered and went down a winding staircase to find a very beautiful restaurant serving fresh food, very tasty, reasonable, and service with a smile. We sat and felt we had been transported to different world. We left feeling relaxed, enjoyed the great food and wished we could visit more often. A must if you are around for locals and tourists alike.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank lehzack
Dublin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem of Kilkenny”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Found this little place on my travels and love it. Great food,great staff and the owner Katie is always there to say "Hello". I always try and stop for a cuppa and a bite when in Kilkenny.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Luke S
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Something Special”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have to say, I was bowled over when I went to this restaurant the other day. A friend of my mam's recommended it to me, because she knows how much myself and my friends like quaint and unique places to eat and this certainly fit the bill. We entered from the James' street side, and a feeling of warmth and homely-ness hit me immediately. The restaurant was bright and spacious, with gorgeous old worldly arched doors, stony walls and central pillar.

As for the food and service, I can't complain. I see that two reviewers before me commented on the lack of gluten free food, but I think they might have changed their menus since then or something, as my coeliac friend had a wide selection available to her (she had soup and bread, followed by a nutloaf and salad) I had the special of the day, fish cakes and a sublime slice of chocolate biscuit cake afterwards. The staff were friendly, with 2 young local kids working there, which is always nice to see.

All in all it was a very enjoyable afternoon. One thing I noticed was that there was no music playing in the background. Usually I wouldn't like this, as I think it makes restaurants see more empty and bare, but here I think it added a bit to the calm atmosphere. I really do think this place has something special, and I'm definitely going back.

• Visited December 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Beautiful café & great selection for veggies & gluten-free diets”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Such a pretty setting! Was here on Dec 6th 2013 with my husband and I have the dual challenge of being a vegetarian and coeliac. Was surprised and delighted to find out from the waitress (who was very helpful) that ALL their soups are gluten-free & come with gluten free bread and that they make a gluten-free dessert every day. For main I went with the lentil & nut loaf (also gluten-free!) which was divine, really filling, great flavour. And then I had a choice of either raspberry meringue roulade with hot raspberry sauce or the gluten-free cake of the day which was chocolate & almond cake with cream. I chose the latter and it was delicious! Its a real little gem in Kilkenny, we really enjoyed it and will be back on our next visit.

• Visited December 2013