“Highly recommend!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Cork, Ireland
“Highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed here recently with my wife and I would recommend the hotel to anybody. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly from the start to finish of our stay. The hotel is located bang in the middle of Kilkenny City and everywhere was within easy walking distance with loads of parking space at the rear of the hotel. The food was super and the portions extremely generous. There was a very good atmosphere within the hotel at all times. Overall I would certainly recomend this hotel - one of our better experiences!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Carrick on Shannon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

When we arrived and saw outside of building we were very disappointed. Room was ok better than expected I suppose. when we went down for dinner and saw nobody else eating it was not a good sign. The food was terrible. Everything thrown onto the plate. We had steaks with onions, mushrooms, cabbage, carrots and potato all on the plate. Cabbage stumps and all. It was terrible. Breakfast was worse again with food not half cooked. Overall it was very poor. Saw chef with cigarette behind his ear.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

My boyfriend won a night dinner, bed & breakfast in the hotel from his work. It was a voucher from one of the deals so we only had a fixed time in which to use it. We chose the night of my birthday as a treat. Due to dietary requirements I tend to check with hotels if they can cater for me, especially when dinner was included. He emailed and received a friendly reply. When we arrived check in was smooth enough. (Although why we had to fill in a registration card when they had all of our details and could simply print it for us to sign is beyond me.) I double checked with reception about dinner and the receptionist seemed put out that I would even raise the issue. She simply said to inform our server and it would be taken care of. She also asked if I had anything with me that I wanted the chef to cook... Reg flag began to flag right there. That's the first time any hotel or restaurant had ever asked me that and it was not put forward in the email to my boyfriend. In fact I was hoping she'd just highlight the room to the restaurant as per the norm for reception. We proceeded to the room and every room door was open on the corridor on the way. Including ours. Our room was not fully ready. This sort of thing annoys me but from working in hotels I know it happens. We left our bags, closed the door and went exploring. We had been told not to make a dinner reservation and the restaurant served until 9. We got back to the hotel at 8pm. There was only two tables seated when we arrived. We passed through the pub (which was playing some awful tourist music) in order to get to the restaurant which had no music or atmosphere. The waiter asked first if we were residents, second if we were on a package, and thirdly if we'd sit at the bar because they had a large breakfast sitting. One hour before end of service, with two tables occupied and we were asked to leave. After being seated at a table in the middle of the bar floor we quickly asked if we could move back in because it was awful. We asked what exactly I could have on the menu and this threw the waiter through a loop. He had absolutely no idea and made no attempt to hide it at all. He went to check with the chef and advised I could have the caeser salad with no croutons or sauce (so just lettuce) and chicken with no sauce or stuffing. I asked if I could even have the soup and he replied no. This sets alarm bells off in my head as if in a restaurant if the soup and gravy both contain flour it normally indicates they are using package goods in the kitchen. We left and ate in a nice restaurant down the road. Between having no menu choices and the waiter having no idea about anything and rudely talking to my boyfriend when I was asking questions we had had enough. We returned later that night and got into bed to realise the hotel must be home to the squeakiest beds in Kilkenny! Breakfast was no better. We had different servers and although they seemed more capable than the previous night they were still pretty clueless and flustered. Considering we were told the owner was a coeliac on check in I was expecting a little more knowledge, not much, just a little. (And on a side note, if the owner was a coeliac and they had been informed before we arrived, why did no one pop to the shop to get some bread or cereal??) On check out we highlighted the issues at dinner but we received the response of: "So they didn't feed you at all? You should have spoken to the chef. He would have made anything you wanted." I'm pretty sure that's what the waiter was supposed to be doing when he was checking with the kitchen on what I could eat. Avoid this hotel.

On a side note of cleanliness. The rooms were clean on first look but when we went to plug our chargers in beside the bed there was a large section of filler in the headboard and it was manky and the bedside locker on my side was actually screwed to the headboard so I couldn't access the plug at all. There was also a notice in the room which said "A day without wine is like a day without sunshine." Next to the elevator there was a place to stub out cigarettes... how many years after the smoking ban are we at this stage to still have something like that in an interior public space? The bed clothing were in serious need of a re-vamp as they were very faded. There was the kind of film you find on bathroom windows over the bedroom windows so you couldn't even look out. Next to me at breakfast there was a wire hanging from the wall.

The best thing I can say about the hotel is the location is great. Was very easy to find somewhere else to eat for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Amaland
Dublin,Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stayed here in June with a group of 6 girls. We had the best time, didn't actually need to leave the hotel as the nightclub is connected to it.
The hotel rooms were spacious and clean. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was quite good too. We have booked our next stay here already :)

1 Thank michey23
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed here two weeks ago with 5 of my friends. We really enjoyed our stay here and I would recomend it to anyone that was thinking of taking a trip to Kilkenny.

The hotel is only 5 mins from the train station so its in a great location.

We booked three twin rooms and had plenty of space in all our rooms. One of the rooms actually had a double and a single and another had two singles and a double. The rooms are very spacious also so you have plenty of room to relax or to get ready.

The staff were lovely when we arrived and couldnt have been more helpful. The hotel consists of a restaurant, a Bar, a disco bar and a nightclub so we didnt need to leave the place for the night. However if you are going to be there longer than one night like we were, the hotel is right in the middle of Kilkenny so you are close to all the amenities.

We did not eat in the restaurant but had food in the bar which was really nice, we had breakfast the next morning and it was super, even though we were late down they still served us.

Overall I could not find a fault with the hotel, we all had a really good time and I am now going back to this hotel in two weeks and down again in October.

I would recomend the hotel to anyone taking a visit to Kilkenny.

1 Thank Funbobby2810
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

What a lovely hotel. We stayed there for one night back in March and the room was very comfortable. Both management and staff were hospitable and professional without being intrusive and I loved the architecture in the back bar. The hotel is centrally located and the breakfast was very tasty. Will definitely stay there when next in Kilkenny.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

A group of us stayed here at the weekend and it was brilliant. From the minute we arrived Louise and Pius made sure all was ok for us throughout. Good pint and food. Lovely atmosphere and great bar. Thank you to the great staff. From Donal, Killarney.