“Avoid the Reception Staff”
Review of Kilford Arms Hotel

Kilford Arms Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This hotel has a fabulous location. The décor from the entrance and Foyer are great. All looks lovely til you get to your rooms. These are very basic and need refurbishment but are comfortable and do the job. The only down fall I have for this hotel is the Reception staff. A particular girl is the rudest most uncooperative person I have ever come across in my life. I have travelled the world and never seen customer service like this before. Because she is the very first person you deal with it, it put me in such a mood that dampened my entire weekend.
Apart from that, it was lovely. The staff in O Faolans bar is fantastic warm and friendly and also in the hotel bar next door. All in all had a good time, I would return but I would not deal with certain staff members

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed in Kilford arms for 2 nights in July, the best value ever €27.50 pp per night yes that's right €27.50 pp. Ok maybe the rooms are a bit mid 90s and the carpets in the public areas could do with a re vamp but spotlessly clean 5*** breakfast and a fantistic city center location.
The staff could not have been more friendly and a secure car park thrown in for good measure.
For aq top value Kilkenny City break you can not do better..

Room Tip: Not ideal for children at weekends as there is a night club in the building and may be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
KilfordManager, Front Office Manager at Kilford Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Kilford Arms Hotel, and indeed for choosing to stay with us recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments.

Thanks again and hopefully we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Kilkenny and the Kilford arms hotel very soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed here recently with my wife....Location is perfect as its right beside the bars and shops. I thought the hotel was a bit grubby and could have done with a good clean. The staff however are excellent and will make sure you enjoy your stay. If it's a hotel where you want to take the family & kids then this is not the spot but if you want to get away and let your hair down then it fits the bill.

1  Thank Darrell P
Reviewed 30 October 2013

my self and my wife had a two night midweek break in the kilford arms, it is a beautiful hotel, right in the center,we were able 2 park the car and walk where ever we wanted to go, food was fab, staff were excelent, and so helpful, we would return there again. Johnny

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KilfordManager, Manager at Kilford Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in the Kilford Arms Hotel.

I have already shared your kind words with the staff and they are very pleased to receive such kind words.

Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you to the Kilford Arms Hotel on your next visit to Kilkenny.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Kilford Arms on a two night break (Room 76) we had stayed here previously and really enjoyed it, however this time it was a bit dissapointing. The room was clean and comfortable, but it could do with a small table and two chairs. We brought drinks up to the room at night, however the glasses remained there and were never removed. Meals were good overall, but the breakfast on Friday morning was a disaster, we both had a full irish which came directly from the kitchen, however everything was deep fat fried and the grease just oozed out of it, the fired egg was hard as a rock, we had to ask for some marmalade and the waitress brought out two little tubs, but didn't bother bringing out any more for anyone else. Saturday morning the breakfast was buffet type and was much tastier, although the pudding and sausage was again deep fat fried, there was no availability of a low fat spread. We had an evening meal, my wife had bacon and cabbage (which she enjoyed) I had the steak and onions (which I also enjoyed although I thought the 5 euro supplement was bit much) we both had dessert Apple tart and cream and Cheesecake and cream, both were the skimpiest desserts we have ever seen, little oblong pieces, the apple tart was terrible it was the worst apple tart ever, the cheesecake was all cheese and the smallest biscuit crumble I ever encountered. We had the same desserts previously and they were excellent with large diagonal pieces and very tasty with real apple in the tart, and real cheesecake with quarter inch biscuit crumble.
The Draught Guinness was terrible, soft and tangy, so I switched to Bud Ice which was good, the bar entertainment was good on Friday night and we enjoyed it.
overall it was disappointing.

1  Thank gunsmoke77
KilfordManager, Manager at Kilford Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Firstly I would like to say thank you for your review, while it doesn't make for great reading I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and please be assured that everything you mentioned will be investigated straight away. I can only apologise and explain that this is not our usual standard at the Kilford Arms Hotel.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed one night in the Kilford Arms on a Saturday night. The hotel is part of a complex of bars and a nightclub located centrally in Kilkenny. To me this hotel is geared towards hen/stag parties and groups. When we arrived at lunchtime from the carpark through the bar there were plenty of very noisy groups already in situ. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. Our room was perfectly functional and clean but the furniture is scuffed and chipped. We spent our afternoon and evening out and returned late to the hotel but were woken during the night by noisy groups coming in. They have a great offer to pay €20 for late check out til 6pm but we didn't avail of it. If you are looking for somewhere to stay for a night out in Kilkenny then the Kilford Arms is great, however if you 're looking for a relaxing break I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arch_ie161

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Myself and my husband spent two lovely nights in the Kilford Armsatthe beginning of October. We were looking for a quiet stay to recharge our batteries forthe long winter ahead.We found our room clean , and there was plenty of fresh towels in the bathroom. The room had T.V.iron ,hairdryer ,safe etc so we wanted for nothing! Breakfast was excellent and also dinner which was served by very friendly staff. The hotel is a few minutes walk from the train station which suited us, also the bus stops there as well. We will return to this hotel again!