“a little slice of heaven”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 6 September 2011

My husband and I chose the Lyrath as our weekend destination to get away from it and just relax and they definitely did not fail to deliver. All the staff, from the cleaners to the bar staff and reception, were very courteous and professional. Our room was simple and elegant with a huge bed which was super comfortable. The hotel building itself is so impressive they way they have seamlessly added the new part to the old house. It’s lovely too that you can wander around the stately home; it’s like having a museum in your hotel. Upon entering the lobby you get an indication of what kind of place you are in, stylish, sleek, modern and elegant. Before dinner we had a stroll around the vast grounds attached to the hotel. Our dinner was in the trendy Yindees Oriental restaurant, the starter was incredibly tasty, my main course was very nice but I though it was a little uninspired (Lamb Jalfrezi), dessert was chocolate and chilli moose which I can’t wait to try and replicate at home. Afterwards we had a delicious cocktail which was made by Conor. At €10.50 each you wouldn’t have too many of them but a fantastic end to a great evening.

Breakfast the next day was nice, there were lots of options but I’ve had better quality of food elsewhere. There is a huge variety of choice which makes up for the slight lack of 5 star excellence I had been expecting.

The Oasis Spa was the highlight of our stay. You are whisked away to the relaxation room to sip refreshing drinks while contemplating what to do, go to the sauna with the panoramic view of the garden, the steam room, or my favourite, the mineral pool. It was really relaxing lying in the pool with jets of bubbles gently massaging you whilst enjoying the captivating views below. I did not want to leave. Reluctantly I did and went for my back massage which was very pleasant.

As we had a late checkout we didn’t need to rush to leave the room and had a lazy lunch in the bar before heading off.

If I had to criticize the hotel at all it would be that the distance from our room to the lifts was huge, we are a fit young couple who have no problem walking but I would have thought the hotel would be better serviced with lifts. Also, our room was very elegant but a little sparse in furniture I thought, if I were to be finicky about such things.

However, I would highly recommend the Lyrath to anyone wanting to check out of reality for a weekend. My whole stay was wonderful and I have to say that the two golden retriever dogs, Oscar and Ringo, hanging around outside were so adorable and definitely made my stay!

I can’t wait to go again.

2  Thank Janenoz
There are newer reviews for Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 5 September 2011

AMAZING!

My husband and I booked a one night pamper break for our 12th Wedding Anniversary and we were not disappointed. The hotel is luxurious and the staff and friendly and really helpful. We first stopped at the Spa and spent 3 hours being pampered. The hydrotherapy pool was amazing, really relaxing, the relaxation room was lovely and well equipped and a lovely way to spend 15 minutes before being brought in for our treatments, drinks, sorbet and fruit were all complimentary. Our treatments were amazing. I felt so Totally relaxed at the end.

We had dinner in La Perla within the hotel which was fabulous. The food was really nice and the wine was fab too. We then went upstairs to the bar where there was live music, really good, and then we went to the Residents bar until 3am!! We had such a fantastic stay. The rooms are lovely. Beds are so comfortable, hotel was clean, well equipped and quiet.

I stay in lots of hotels through business and pleasure and cannot wait to come back to the Lyrath again (Must find an excuse!!)

Reviewed 4 September 2011

We stayed on a week-end (2 B&B and 2D) break. We found the staff welcoming and helpful and the room was large and comfortable. Breakfast selection and quality was excellent. Dinner menu was somewhat limited and substantially the same on both evenings. If you can't eat shell fish it is even more restricted. The food we had however was delicious and very nicely presented and served.
So what was less than 5*. The service in the restaurant was OK but somewhat careless at times. On both evenings we were given a jug of drinking water but no glasses to put it in. We drank coffee on the second evening with used desert dishes still on the table. Tea served after dinner on the first evening was made either from poor quality tea bags or with water not freshly (or at all) boiled. Left a poor taste after an otherwise very tasty meal.
While the public areas were all clean, the walls in our room (438) have enough dirty marks to justify a fresh coat of paint or a professional cleaning.
The beautifully laid out grounds and gardens could do with a significant amount of attention. They look a bit neglected.
Overall, while we had a very pleasant stay, I will certainly consider some of Kilkenny's lower priced but very good 4* hotels for our next visit.

Room Tip: Some rooms involve long walks from the elevator so anybody with impaired mobility should check when...
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Had a fab stay here recently. Staff very friendly and not too fussy. Hotel dogs are gorgeous and well spoilt! Ate in both the bar and the Asian restaurant both tasted fab and were well priced!!!
Pool a little small but it's still ok.
All in All a great weekend away !!! Will be going back

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We had a super weekend in this hotel, we felt we didn't need to even leave the grounds, there was so much to do. We really loved the warm welcome from both door-men, and the way that everyone was catered for, not just the adults. The three resident dogs, Ringo, Oscar and baby Reilly, were a great hit, especially when Ringo took us for a walk! The room was spotless and roomy and had a super view. The food was lovely but we were left waiting on a couple of occassions which was a disappointment. We tried out both the spa and the leisure centre and enjoyed the experience. Tip for guests - make use of the hotel robes and slippers and change in your room, because the leisure centre change rooms are very small. Between the walks, the pedalos and the cinema, we had to drag ourselves away from the hotel to visit Kilkenny City. We're sure to make an excuse to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Lyrath Estate Hotel! Our travel agent had booked the room for us and while I had checked it on Trip Advisor, it was even better than expected! It is one of most beautiful places we stayed while in Ireland! Everything from the moment we arrived until we left was First Class! The room was beautiful, as was the view from the room, the food was delicious and the staff was wonderful and VERY helpful!

The bed pillows were so very comfortable! The receptionist gave me the website where they can be purchased and I am ordering some as they were the most comfortable I've ever slept on!

It was very convenient for our activities in Kilkenny!

We will definitely stay here again whenever the opportunity presents itself!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My wife was 5 months pregnant so we hoped to have one last break before the baby! We decided to spend a little more and the Lyrath looked good from its website. Our 1st impressions were ok until we got to the bedroom, which was a disappointment. Basic considering what you are paying for. Also there was lots of noisy kids!! They overcharged us on our bill but this was sorted out. Nothing special about this place in general.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple