“Fabulous 50th Birthday Full Of Surprises.”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Fabulous 50th Birthday Full Of Surprises.”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

On Saturday the 16th of February, I celebrated my 50 th birthday down in Lyrath with 22 other girls. We arrived down to Lyrath by mini bus at about 4.45pm. We had seven rooms booked, I had booked a balcony room for my two sisters and my self and as we where checking in we got a surprise we got up grade to the Pent House Suite. What an amazing surprise and a great start to my 50 th birthday. (Iona) the guest relation manager showed us up to the suite and could not do enought for us. The 22 of us started the party from then. At 8.30pm we went for dinner down in the wine cellar. We had the area to our selfs which was lovely we could all talk and laught with out disturbing any of the other guests. We had a fantastic meal/ wine. The staff Cathy, Donal Tom where just brillent. The chef ( Igor) made a stunning birthday cake, I would not have had dessert if I had know the birthday cake was coming out another surprise. After the meal we went up stairs to the x bar where there was music and we stayed up till the small hours of the morning. Breakfast the next morning was self service and amazing they had every thing. Some of the girls walked around the beautiful grounds as it way a bright sunny morning, the others went for swim. Bus pick us up 12.30 pm to return to Dublin. We all had a great night and every one said that they would return again to be pampered. Our thanks to every member of staff who we had contact with as each and every one of them gave out standing service in all departments, check in, house keeping, resturant and bar. A special work of thanks to Elaine Scott for her out standing customer care and attention to every detail.
Every one should go to Lyrath for their special days.
BC.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Benmadigan
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Benmadigan

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Firstly a very Happy 50th Birthday, and thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday with us here at the Lyrath estate hotel, the team remember you all well and thoroughly enjoyed having you with us here at the hotel for what was a great party.

Elaine looked after your upgrade to the Penthouse suite and felt this would give you a great space to relax and enjoy some time with your friends. It is greatly rewarding for the team to be mentioned personally in such glowing terms and all those mentioned have asked me to pass on their personal thanks for such lovely recognition.

I have also shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here in February as part of a wedding party. I had been to the hotel on a few occasions before, for lunch and afternoon tea etc. The wedding itself was fantastic, the drinks reception in the old house was idyliic and the photos turned out great! The staff were very friendly and accommodating and always on hand if needed. The function room for the wedding was decorated beautifully. The food for the meal was overall brilliant, although I personally thought the starter was a little bland and the assiette of desserts looked quite plain, although tasted lovely. Our room for our stay was fantastic, modern yet comfortable and lovely little welcome touches in the room. Breakfast was outstanding, great selection of foods and I loved the jugs of juice in the locally crafted Nicholas Mosse pottery, these looked great! I will definitely be back to visit and this time take in relaxing break and utilise the Spa, as I have hear great reports about it.

Dear Stn_eve

It is nice to know that you have visited the hotel in the past and enjoyed dining with us, and equally pleasing to learn that you enjoyed staying with us overnight whilst celebrating with family and friends.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the wedding party and the great atmosphere and charm of the old house for the drinks reception. We really are very fortunate to have the great combination of old world charm and great stylish facilities at Lyrath estate. I have passed on your comments to Iain and the conference team all of whom have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments regarding the wedding celebrations.

I have shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a one night dinner bnb package last saturday. Arrived early for check in so we left our bags with the very friendly bellman, and went for a long walk around the grounds which was nice. However our room was not ready til 4.30 pm which was a little annoying. They don't do check in until 4pm which is really very late for a luxury hotel. (must have cut back on cleaning staff cos check out is 12pm, and the rooms still weren't ready by 4pm) Got a complimentary upgrade to an exec room which was lovely, huge king size bed. Very nice room. Headed straight down for a swim and steam room , (very long walk from the room). Pool area is fine, family friendly sort of place, if you want luxury and relaxation, you need to use the spa. There was complimentary wine tasting going on in the wine cellar, which was great, lovely plates of cheese and very generous pourings of many wines, very sociable and casual tasting which we really enjoyed. Had dinner in la perla that night which was delicious, no supplements for beef or any other courses (pet hate of mine), and a very decent a la carte menu to choose from,and service was fantastic. Went for one drink at the bar downstairs after dinner, was pretty quiet. Didn't stay up for live music in the bar upstairs so can't comment on that. Breakfast was top notch, everything you might want, self service, but great quality. Headed to the spa for treatments with my wife after breakfast. The hydrotherapy and sauna area is fab, really nice, however, there are bathrobes but no towels provided and in the mens locker rooms i opened four different lockers and could not find one, so i ended up soaking the floor of the relaxation room, sorry!! I had booked an hour long fullbody massage and a half hour foot massage as a package deal. The full body massage was fine, my therpaist was very friendly, however the foot massage was 10 minutes of sitting in the room on my own with my feet in a basin of hot water, then a 2 minute salt scrub, and about 3 minutes of massaging on each foot. my wife also got a foot massage and her experience was completely different. Also given that i was supposed to be getting 90 minutes, i only got about 75-80 mins and 10 of those minutes were spent with my feet in water, so i didn't feel i got value for money. Aside from the spa treatment, it was a very enjoyable experience for both of us, and we would return.

Dear Davidc1981

Thanks for the time you have taken to contact us on Trip advisor following your recent stay with us at Lyrath estate hotel.

I am really pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for your kind comments in relation to the facilities and service provided.

I am sorry that we were not able to check you into your room on time; it appears that due to a number of late check outs that the team were slightly delayed in getting your room ready in time. We have maintained our staffing levels as normal, and the check in time of 4pm which has always been in place is designed to afford us the ability to maintain the highest levels of cleanliness.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the length of spa treatments to Louise our spa manager who has asked to be associated with my apologies for this shortcoming on our part. Be assured that we have acted positively to prevent a repetition of this problem in the future.

Dublin
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here last Valentine's weekend and it was an amazing experience. Pricey but worth every penny. We got upgraded to a suite which helped! Beautiful, beautiful room. Food and atmosphere in the restaurant was great. We had breakfact in our room. Drinks with music in the bar were lovely. Great grounds. Would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Carrickgirl

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback on trip advisor following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am pleased you chose us to celebrate your Valentines day, and delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.

I have shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such fantastic feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I stayed here as it was based close to company where I was due to be interviewed the next morning.

Location wise, the hotel is great. The grounds are beautiful and there is a real smooth atmosphere to the place. The golden Labs are beautiful and really friendly, I couldn't believe it at first but you can find out more about them in the Hotel!

I ate at the bar and (of course) the food is expensive but it is great food tastes great. The service is definitely 5* to be fair - they are helpful, courteous and very friendly & profession. The staff around the hotel are great, and very accommodating.
The breakfast is a combo of buffet and menu. I have to admit, the food was great but I found the whole breakfast thing a bit formal (I was tired!!) and it wasn't too relaxed.

The rooms are lovely, the beds are amazingly comfortable too. The bathroom is large bath tub, shower and separate w/c and double sinks. The rooms are spacious and even though there was a family in the room next door, the rooms and hallways were relatively quiet.

It is a few miles outside Kilkenny though so be prepared to fork out for taxis or drive into town.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear TravellingNoirin

Reviewed 15 February 2013

My wife and I where married in the Lyrath this time last year so we already have a soft spot for this lovely hotel. The wedding was amazing, best day of our lives, thanks in part to the excellent staff (most of them still remembered us a year later) and the amazing treatment we received. For anyone considering the Lyrath as a wedding venue I cannot recommend it enough.

As a normal guest one year later we had another great experience, on Thursday we had bar food after the long drive after work we couldn't face another drive to the town (even though its only 4 minutes down the road.), I can honestly say the Thai green curry I had in the toppers bar was the nicest curry I have ever had (sorry dad). Friday we eat in la perla, also in the hotel and again I was very impressed with the quality of the food and the service.

The room we had was an executive, great facilities and the bed was very comfy. I only wish I could take the shower with me.

All in all the Lyrath has many special memories for me and I look forward to our second anniversary there next year.

Room Tip: 337 great room
Dear Daniel S

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences here at Lyrath with us on Trip Advisor; it was a pleasure to welcome you back for your wedding anniversary.

Dervla, Mary-Aine and the team have asked me to pass on their regards and to thank you for your lovely feedback on the wedding celebrations you enjoyed at Lyrath Last year. It is equally rewarding to learn that we provided the same excellent standards again on your anniversary and that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us

Laois, Ireland
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

Arrived at Lyrath just before 4pm which is check in time and there was no problem checking in a little early. There is ample parking. The lobby is huge and spotlessly clean.
The room (a standard room) is quiet big and again spotlessly clean. There is loads of hanging space for clothes and the safe is big enough to take everything (unlike the usual shoe box sized ones). The bathroom!!! Oh wow. First off the toilet is in a separate room and the shower and bath and sink in a beautifully decorated room. The shower is a massive walk in without a door and is heavenly. There are two beds a double and a single, personally I would prefer just one larger double bed as opposed to a queen and single but that's not saying its not comfy it is. The only slight issue is the pillows there a little soft but that's a personal thing. There is plenty of tea and coffee facilities. And the turn down service of bottles of water and little chocolate is such a nice touch.
The staff, every single member I came across were so polite and professional and their attention to detail is what makes this hotel so luxurious and comfortable.
Also, tuppers bar for food, is beautiful. As is La Perla. Also one of the bar men went out of his way to make me (a very pregnant lady) a non-alcoholic cocktail. Which was yummy and again just shows how lovely the staff are and how well trained they are as professionals.
I was brought to lyrath for a special birthday/pre baby get away and definitely relaxed and pampered and would recommend the hotel, the restaurant and spa for a really special treat.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear CPDM

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences here at Lyrath with us on Trip Advisor, your feedback is greatly appreciated and provides great motivation to all the team at Lyrath, all of whom were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities to be first class throughout the hotel. What is even more rewarding is your feedback on the team here at Lyrath, it really does make a difference and does boost morale greatly to receive such lovely comments.

I have also shared your comments regarding the pillows and Murali our head housekeeper has already ordered in a stock of alternative pillows to provide an option on request.