“Weekend Break with Friends”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed in Lyrath for a weekend earlier this month with some friends of ours. The approach to the hotel on arrival is lovely.
Reception staff were very pleasant and friendly and we were offered help with carrying our bags to the room.
The room was really lovely and in particular I liked the bathroom which had a separate bath and a lovely walk in shower.
The bed was nice and comfy with beautiful soft sheets, there were feather pillows though which I'm just not a fan of.

We met up with the couple we were there with on the Friday night and had dinner in the bar which was really nice, if a little on the pricey side.
After our meal we went up to the bar beside the Asian restaurant where there was live music which we really enjoyed.
On the Saturday night we ate in the main restaurant and all four of us really loved it, everything put in front of us was absolutely delicious. I'd return to the hotel just for that restaurant alone!

The breakfast was also lovely, if a bit chaotic as it's self service. A pet hate of mine is hotels where you have to wait on toast separately, and so your breakfast is at the table getting cold while you queue up for toast. The first morning we had to go looking for someone to ask for tea, but other than that we really enjoyed it.

Overall it was a lovely stay and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear Penfold_04

Many thanks for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent stay with us at the Lytath Estate Hotel Kilkenny

I am delighted that overall you really enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy all the facilities while you were with us. I have ensured that all the team are aware of your very kind comments and they have asked to be associated with my thanks for such great feedback.

Noel and his team of chefs in Yindees and La Perla do pride themselves on producing great food and they were delighted to learn that you enjoyed meals in both restaurants. We are currently reviewing our menus and indeed pricing and have already seen a change in some of the dishes and the respective prices for these.

Breakfast at the weekend is always challenging purely from a volume perspective, and whilst you enjoyed the breakfast i d very much take on board your comment regarding toast from the server. This is something we will consider with future plans within the restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed for 1 night on a Saturday and ate in La Perla Restaurant.
Arrived shortly before 4 pm and was told the room was not ready. Left our bags at reception and were told they would call as soon as the room was ready. No call so had to go back to reception after waiting for an hour to be told the room was ready. Our bags weren't in the room and I subsequently found them still seating on a trolley in the lobby. Receptionist apologised but no offer of an explanation or late checkout etc.
We ate in the restaurant at 8.30 and were given a table between two with parties containing children - one set well under age 8.
Food was alright with slow service - though staff were very pleasant and friendly. Our room was spacious & clean but definitely not luxurious.
In the morning the express check out / invoice outside our door was actually for the room across the hall - some consolation to note that they paid more for their room that we did.
Not a bad hotel and no major complaints but disappointing after reading the website and at the price paid.

1  Thank Declan35

Dear Declan 35

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your experiences of the Lyrath estate hotel with us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that on this occasion that myself and the team failed to provide you with the warmest of welcomes and the standard of service one would expect from any hotel. I feel that when service is the question the star rating is largely irrelevant, the basics of any hotel whether 1 star or five star to me are simple, great service great hospitality and anticipation of guest needs.

I have shared your comments regarding check in with Elaine our front office manager and Murali of head housekeeper. We offer 4pm as our guaranteed check in time and our failure to fulfil this should have certainly been dealt with more effectively and more sympathetically. You have my assurances that this feedback has been used to highlight and reiterate the focus n our handling of a delayed check in.

I am glad to note that the staff in the restaurant were pleasant and friendly, yet disappointed to learn that the service offered was slow. We always aim to strike a balance with the pace of the service to ensure it is not hurried, but if perceived as slow we have clearly not fulfilled the desired balance. We are a family friendly hotel and welcome children, on occasion and when we are very busy in the restaurant this does not always afford us the opportunity to separate different age groups out into discreet areas.

I hope that in spite of our shortcomings on this occasion that you visit us again in the future and take advantage of some of the fantastic deals that we currently have on offer. In closing i would like to reiterate my thanks for your feedback, and also to reiterate that we do act upon the feedback offered.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

This is my 3rd trip to the Lyrath. My Auntie booked 22 women for her 50th Birthday. Before we arrived I had sent down some birthday decorations & asked Elaine Scott if it would be possible to put these in my aunties room as a surprise for her.
Upon check in, my Auntie got a wonderful surprise, she was upgraded to the amazing Penthouse. What a fab room. We started off the celebrations here & all the decorations I had sent down, were up in the room, along with some other treats from the hotel.
We had dinner in the cellar bar, it was lovely, they food was just amazing.
We than had drinks in the bar & than moved on to the residents bar until the early hours.
Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff & they really mad us all feel so welcome & were so friendly, we couldnt have asked for a better night.
Elaine Scott was off that day, but popped in to make sure we were all looked after, she was brilliant & really made us feel special. She went above & beyond her call of duty & this says alot & this was very much apreciated by us all.
Thanks again to all the amazing staff for making this a very special occassion.

Room Tip: Attentive staff, amazing Penhouse, fab food, the list could go on!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dollyw

Dear Dollyw

It was great to welcome you back to Lyrath Estate hotel and many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you all enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the birthday celebrations in the wine cellar on the Saturday Night. I realise that I am going to be biased but I do agree the team here go out of their way to offer great hospitality and great service. I have passed on your very kind comments to all concerned and they have asked that I thank you on their behalf for such lovely comments on the standards and service provided.

Elaine was really excited to welcome all the members of the group and insisted on coming in to make sure all of you were having a great time.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

We visited the Lyrath New Years Eve for some spa treatments - we were staying nearby and wanted to get some take outs on our way home. The hotel offered to find us a number for some local Thais - there is a Thai restaurant in the hotel which was given the day that was in it - was too busy to take our order but lucky for us the assistant manager (I believe) overheard us talking while walking by and organised the lot for us - that small bit of customer service made our day it was a small thing but really nice thank you Lyrath! Apart from that it was a lovely day, beautiful location and thoughtful customer service!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
LyrathEstate, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear CSquared 77

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in December.

I am really pleased to learn that one of the team was able to help you with your special request for a take away meal from our Thai restaurant Yindees on New Year’s Eve. Much as this is not a service we would normally provide, I am pleased that we were able to fulfil your request. I hope that you had a pleasant and relaxing New Years Eve having enjoyed some therapies in our Oasis Spa.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

We were here for a wedding back in September, fell in love with the place! The hotel, the spa & the beautiful grounds, the restaurant in the hotel was gorgeous, food was out of this world! The wedding itself was brilliant food again was great! Hotel staff were lovely too! I think the price of the stay is the only complaint I have....& that's just a tiny complaint! Will defo revisit :)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Kathynolan

Dear Kathynolan

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel in September.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to experience of the facilities whilst with us and that you thoroughly enjoyed the wedding celebrations.

I have also shared your very kind comments regarding the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel to all of my team members who were really pleased to hear such nice feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future for what we can assure you will be another thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I loved the location. The grounds are beautiful, I went for a walk but unfortunately due to the very wet weather recently, the underfoot pathways were naturally very muddy and not too pleasant (not the hotel’s fault).

My room was ready on arrival. It was fabulous, very spacious, had all the comfort and luxury that makes staying in a 5 star worthwhile. I cannot overstate how great the room was, the bathroom was amazing and while in my room I basked in absolute comfort.

I was not impressed with the bar service and also as a single guest found there was not enough light at any table in the bar for me to read – so people watching became my pastime while in the bar.

Breakfast was buffet, the sausages were not good, three partially cooked fried eggs were lying in a pool of grease waiting to be served to the next guest who came to breakfast bar – I gave the first one back. The second was no better – and shame on me – I did not make a fuss.

The lockers in the Ladies changing room at the pool were open on my arrival. However, I discovered after my swim and having my shower that they have no keys or handles, rendering them impossible to open. I then had to try to get back into my wet bathing suit and go out to get the attendants attention (my clothes were inside the locker !! ).

I could not get in to the swimming pool next day as the door was locked. I had to walk all the way back to the Spa to discover that the swimming pool was closed from 12noon to 4pm - which I found unbelievable. Even so, a note on the door explaining to guests might be helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank journeyperson2012

Dear Journeyperson2012

I appreciate the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us following your stay with us at the Lyrath estate in February.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the accommodation and general surroundings at Lyrath estate and that you found the environment and room standards to be of a good quality.

I am sorry that you found the service in the bar to have been in some way lacking, however I find it difficult to comment further as you have not really elaborated on this point. I have however passed this general comment on to Catherine our Bar Manager to ensure she shares it with all team members.

The bar is generally lit at a low level during the evening to create a more relaxed atmosphere, we do however have more brightly lit areas and one of the team would have been happy to have re seated you if this had been brought to their attention.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding breakfast. We do ordinarily have a chef on the buffet cooking the fried eggs to order with requests for poached eggs Benedict etc coming from the main kitchen. I am sorry that you did not find the offering to your liking, I have reviewed breakfast with my team and do take on board the comments you have made.

I am pleased to let you know that we are currently in the process of increasing the number of lockers in the ladies changing area, and we are also repairing all the locks and handles as we undertake this project. We have also made the signage outside the leisure club more conspicuous to ensure that guests are more clearly aware of the opening and closing times.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Myself and my Fiance are regular visitors to Lyrath and each and every time we stay here our expectations are surpassed. Our recent visit was to distract ourselves from our wedding plans and we arrived on Saturday 16th Feb for an overnight stay. Unfortunately the room we had booked (Room 41) was not occupible due to the fact that some ignorent people decided to smoke in it the night beforehand. Pretty rude in our opinion as its clearly a non-smoking hotel and this room is a one off 17th century style room that doesnt derserve that treatment! As usual the staff were fantasic. In particular Iona and Kara who went over and above to ensure we had an alternative suite arranged. The service from the staff in this hotel is over and above what I would ever expect and it never falters. Our new room was our favourite so far...a beautiful suite overlooking the grounds. The hotel had arranged wine tasting in the cellar bar that evening and that too was a lovely experience. Counting down to our next trip to Lyrath.... thanks to all at the Hotel. S&D

Dear SarahDamien

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I am really pleased to learn that you are regular visitors to the Lyrath estate, and that the team here consistently exceed your expectation in terms of the service and standards that they provide.

It does disappoint me when guests choose to ignore the very clear policy that we are a non smoking hotel, we are very strict about this for both the comfort of all of our guests but also clearly in relation to the safety implications. I am sorry that you had to experience the result of another guest’s ignorance on this occasion.

I must say that I agree with you regarding the team at Lyrath, they are without question the best team I have had the pleasure of working alongside in my career, friendliness, warmth and hospitality seem to come naturally to the team here.