“Excellent Service - I'll be back!”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 25 April 2008

I stayed for one night recently in the Lyrath and was very impressed with the service.

Like other reviewers, I thought the doorman was lovely and the offer of valet parking a welcome touch. The receptionist was very helpful and I was escorted to my room too.

I used the swimming pool area and didn't have a problem with a lack of loungers as I was the only one there! Granted, there are only about 4 or 5 so on a busy day this could pose as a problem.

I didn't have dinner, but the breakfast the next morning was really good quality and a great choice too.

I will definitely be back to this hotel and hopefully the next time I'll manage to stay 2 or 3 nights!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank IrishTravellerDub

Reviewed 13 April 2008

Sayed at The Lyrath for one night with my husband and 6yr old boy. Booked executive room for extra space and no problems there except for the turn down service, which was done at 5pm!!!!The hotel is lovely and staff are all very pleaesant, especially the gentleman who greets you when you arrive, and offers valet parking. This is a lovely touch and its free.However some things really need to be sorted if they are looking for 5 stars. The prices are 5star but the service is certainly not. Ordered afternoon tea when we arrived, the cakes etc. arrived without the tea which we waited for over 20mins before we got it. The bar service is not good.A glass of champagne is 14.50 and arrives with no coaster and no bottle presentation. It could have been anything. All the drinks we ordered were served without coasters and were very messy. A few peanuts or olives would be appreciated especially at the prices.Restaurant LA Perla really needs to get its act together. We waited over one hour for our starters with no apologies and it was not busy.Lyrath needs to sort out these problems as it has the potential to be 5 star but its not quite there yet.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank luluDublinIreland
Reviewed 12 April 2008

Certainly not a five star hotel, you'd expect more for the prices charged. There was a problem with the toilet system hurrendous smell in the room staff refused to change us to another room said the problem would be fixed promptly the smell lasted throughout our two day stay and the hotel was certainly not full. When we booked we were promised that the spa would be open and if there was a dely we would be emailed if we wanted to change our dates we got there suprise the spa is not open and the girl who took our booking was off so there was nothing they could do, we told the receptionist we came down for a relaxing spa break could we change our dates to when the spa was open the receptionist sniggered no. The staff were unhelpful we demanded a manager upon leaving the only person who seemed to listen, nightmare never again.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sparky12dublin
Reviewed 2 April 2008

Having stayed in this hotel last year and given it a great review on a previous occassion I was delighted when my husband booked us a weekend away in a luxury suite in february for a romantic break away
The room was absolutely fab with lovely comfortable queen size bed , beautiful bathroom with lovely bathrobe slippers and toilitries, everything about his hotel is lovely my only grip this time was the meal we had in La Pearla restaurant i was really disappointed with what was on offer in the restarant and have to admit as not up to the standard that i have come to expect of this restaurant the menu is very scarse with little choice and variety and the wines are way over priced something i did not experience on a previous occassion .Th staff are very dismissive and don,t make any form of eye contact with you while taking you order they seem to have a upty attitute about themselves which wasn't very pleasant . A better option here is either the Thai restaurant or the fab food they serve in the bar . My husband had the most fab sausages in gravy with mash , i had the fish and home made chips for our lunch absolutely beautiful no comparison to the restaurant ,
Otherwise i love everything about this hotel next time I won,t be making a reservation in La Perla come on guys sort this one out everything else great , more choice on the menu please

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tsam
Reviewed 28 March 2008

I read the reviews on here before booking but decided after a recommendation from a colleague that it was the right place to go for a relaxing Patricks Weekend!

Drove to Kilkenny on the Sat am, got to the hotel and was greeted by the rain - no drop down area and a muddy walk along a walkway from the car park to the hotel. Not a great 1st impression but you could get over that.

Check in was smooth and was taken to our room which was very clean and bright. Not the largest of rooms but big enough.

Went to the bar on the 4th floor to watch the rugby, had a few drinks and a snack which were pleasant. Charged these to the room but was not given a copy of the receipt which was a little annoying.

Went back to our room to open the champers that my other half had ordered as a treat - only to find this was not champers but sparkling wine. Went down to reception to flag this and an hour later had heard nothing. Called down to ask to speak to the Duty Manager - only to be told he was busy and would call me back. Another half hour later and still nothing.

After 2 hours, I called again and spoke to a Manager who apologised and got a bottle of champers sent up 10 mins later.
IMO not good enough for a 5*.

After all the hassle we decided not to go out - but to get room service - 80euros for a poor pub meal. Salad was heavily overdressed, nan bread was soaked and soggy from all the dressing, burnt chips and chicken was dry. The 10euro tray charge was actually a 10euro per person charge which was a little deceptive.

Flagged these issues with the manager at breakfast the next day - only to be given the usual excuses.

Breakfast was delicious thou and had a good selection. Used the pool area - relaxing and clean. Not enough chairs/loungers and nowhere to hang robes and towels which again is strange for a 5*. No drinking water available here either - you have to go out of the pool and into the gym.

Grounds are lovely, had a stroll on the Sunday before heading into Kilkenny.

Went out for dinner and drinks in Kilkenny on the Sun night which can be recommended...

Turndown service with bottled water and chocs was a nice touch, but then the mini bar was empty and you had to ring down for supplies which was a little out of the ordinary (?)

Toiletries were H2O spa - nice for me but hubby forgot his shower gel and they were not very man-friendly!!!

All in all I left with mixed feelings - as they took so long to rectify their 1st mistake and did nothing to resolve the room service issue.

Rooms are nice and the hotel is too but there is just something missing,

If you are looking for a 5* I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Samantha L
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Disapointed with some of it.

Concierge was great when i pulled up offered to park the car and bring the bags in for me when i arrived and when i was going in to town asked me if i'd like him to bring the car up to the door which was a lovely touch.

Few problems with accommodation staff as they tried to get in my room at nine. I was a stayover and they thought i was a departure all four days of my stay.

The third time a maid entered the room i said nicely that was staying a few days. Then the supervisor came up and i said yeah i'm staying. Then he said fine may i use your phone to check with reception which honestly seemed a little invasive since i had someone in the room with me and at this point it was only eleven. Lucky it was my best friend who'd come away for a girlie break and not my boyfriend as the constant interruptions could have been embarrassing.

Unfortunately the interruption happened everyday but only once or twice.

All was fine and he thanked me for using the phone.

The hotel didn't have cards to say do not disturb there were buttons which lit up. Although me button was switched on at 2 in the morning when we'd returned and was still on ever time we wee interrupted it doesn't seem to matter to the staff.

The hotel was beautiful with some honestly nice and genuine members of staff although the people who put my luggage in the bride and grooms suite weren't the most honest of people when they told me "its in our luggage store" It's unfortunate for them that when we were in the bar later the lovely receptionist cam up to me to apologise about sending my bags to the suite. No one had obvioulsy told her they'd covered with me about the magic "store" but i appreciated her telling me this and it was a genuine mistake.

It was very hard to get phone reception throughout hotel but that's not their fault.

i bought a west coast cooler and my friend got a glass of wine and i was given the bottle and nothing else. Having worked in hotels and having a restaurant this was especially surprising to discover that i was to drink West coast cooler from the bottle and no coaster was under it for a five star hotel/ When i asked for a glass with ice and a piece of lemon i thought i was sending the bar tender to the north pole to pick the ice himself from the expression i received.

Gorgeous hotel with a few minor staffing problems training from management maybe helpful.

We plan to return this summer because the grounds are beautiful and appreciate that service one week can be totally different the next. We stayed in the Rivercourt for two days also which i think is the four star sister hotel and it was actually better which is funny given the star.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank WeddingShowAroundGal
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Have just returned from a 3 night Easter break in Lyrath. Reading some of the other reviews I cannot believe I was in the same place. Our room had a wonderful view of the lake and surrounding countryside. It was clean, comfortable and very spacious. Nothing was too much for the excellent staff. Small matters like additional towels and replacement bulbs were attended to immediately accompanied by profuse apologies for any inconvenience caused. From the staff who greeted us at the door with offers to park our car, to the smiling reception staff and the staff of the bars and restaurants I have never come across a more pleasant atmosphere. As another guest said to us "the place wraps itself around you". The leisure suite may not be the biggest you will find but it is perfectly adaquate. The music on the Sunday evening was great and far more pleasant than having to battle with the hen and stag parties down the town. We had a lovely meal in the Thai restaurant and judging by the crowd we weren't the only ones. Lyrath was a joy from start to finish. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends