“Truly beautiful and serene.”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Des Moines, Iowa
“Truly beautiful and serene.”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The scenery to this hotel's location was incredible. We enjoyed our stay, the food, the rooms, everything. You want to find a room that looks out to the back of the property. It certainly was a pleasant place to stay and we would be happy to go back again!

Room Tip: Get a room in the rear of the property
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear 112DesmoinesTra..

Thank you very much for taking time to share your review of Lyrath Estate following your recent stay at the Hotel.

I could not agree with your views more, we really are very fortunate to have the honour of working in such beautiful and serene surroundings, and i am personally delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath estate the next time you are visiting Ireland.

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Wonderful staff, excellent breakfast and clean and spacious rooms. Great on site facilities for families. Pool was small and basic. Didn't get to experience the spa but Will be back. Very relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Fiz 12

Thanks for taking the time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am very pleased to know that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us, and thank you sincerely for your very kind comments regarding the great service and hospitality provided by our superb team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate in the near future, and I hope you have the opportunity to relax and enjoy our excellent Spa facilities the next time you visit us.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I really want to write an amazing review of the Lyrath. I really do. However, it just seems to lack that extra Umph!! If that is how I can sum it up.
My partner and I make a trip to Kilkenny once or twice every year. This time with extra reason to celebrate, we decided to splash out on the Lyrath. We booked a deal that included an outdoor picnic and use of the mountain bikes to cycle around the estate. I rang ahead to book a treatment in the spa, as I had heard rave reviews about the spa itself.
On arrival, the place was very busy but the lovely Cara at the front desk checked me in, booked me 2 mountain bikes for the following day and upgraded us to a superior room. I want to be grateful, it was a lovely gesture and Cara definitely deserves a mention.
However, the rooms.... hmmm! The rooms just lack that extra bit of class and luxury that you expect from a 4 star hotel. I would most definitely call this a 3-star room. Now maybe the extra special rooms are nicer and have an extra wow but I've paid less (far less) for a far more inspiring room that this one in the Lyrath.
The rest of the hotel is nice, although I can see how once it might have been amazing now it's at a nice standard. The spa is lovely, it's 30e to use the thermal suite which after using it, I think is a little too much but perhaps I didn't get to appreciate it too much. I had a hotstone massage from an amazing therapist and would go back for same again. The spa was extremely busy too which kind of took away from the experience and the reception staff were a little frazzled which lead me to feel a little uncomfortable. However, all in all, on a quieter day, I'd imagine it's a nice escape.
We didnt eat in the hotel so I can't remark on the food but there always seems to be something going on in the bar and restaurant. Breakfast is nice but again, it was so busy when we were there it almost felt like feeding time in the zoo.
The lyrath is nice, don't get me wrong. I feel like I'm being a little harsh in the above review but if I could put my finger on it, it's almost like it's at 85% instead of 100% in terms of service, value and that little bit of extra professional zing.
To the couples on a romantic getaway reading this, one thing I will say... this is a very busy hotel with lots of families, babies and young children. That all and fine,and I find it admirable that it's such a child-friendly hotel, but it does mean your romantic break will be lacking in eh, romance, somewhat.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SpinsterCaz

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny. We really do feel that all feedback is a gift and always appreciate constructive comments from our valued guests.

I am pleased that you able to take advantage of the excellent grounds at Lyrath and to avail of a picnic and the use of our bikes to explore the surroundings. Thank you also for your very Kind comments regarding the service provided by Cara, I have passed these on and Cara really was delighted to have been mentioned personally in such lovely terms.

It is of course disappointing to hear that you feel that Lyrath is in some ways lacking “umph”, and that you felt the rooms were lacking in the feel of luxury; We Have and will continue to seek new and innovative ways to add the extra touches to our accommodation and regularly this with the team.

Whilst I agree there are always ways to improve and grow ones business, I still strongly feel that Lyrath is amazing both in terms of the outstanding range and quality of facilities, and also in terms of the dedicated team who strive always to provide the very best hospitality available.

I am sorry you were not able to avail of either of our two restaurants for lunch or dinner; I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast, during August we accommodated in excess of 300 guests per night and inevitably this did result in breakfast being busy at times, particularly between 10am and 11am.

We have over the summer period, and indeed we are over all holiday periods, delighted to welcome families and offer an extensive range of activities designed to let parents relax in the knowledge that their children are entertained and safe. Outside of the standard holiday periods we find the number of children we welcome would be in keeping with the norm of any hotel. I feel that with our extensive and beautiful grounds, our wonderfully appointed Spa, our beautiful Georgian mansion house and our great range of dining options and Bars that we provide a great environment for romantic couples.

In closing I would like to once again thank you for your constructive feedback, and I hope that you are able to visit us again in the near future.

WATERFORD
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. From start to finish I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was ready when I didn't expect it to be and it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. We went to the spa one of the days, I am a beauty therapist myself and wasn't hugely impressed with the spa, my therapist didn't introduce herself so I have no idea what her name was, I had a full body massage and reflexology, the massage was fine I did enjoy the reflexology. The treatment rooms are lovely and cosy but thermal suite isn't great in comparison with the size of the hotel and grounds, the gym and swimming pool is also tiny. The grounds are fabulous we walked down to the lake and it was lovely. There seemed to be lots of things for kids to do and I also noticed a few people on bikes. We ate in yindees one night and it was delicious really tasty food and polite staff. The only thing that really let the place down is tuppers bar, we had our lunch here one day and it was awful, charged 9.00 euro for a chicken ceaser wrap and It was thrown together. Extremely disappointed with the food there!!! Overall it was a great stay. We also got a 50 euro voucher off our next stay. Will defiantly be back!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ANNERS1

It was great to welcome you back to Lyrath to celebrate your wedding anniversary, and very rewarding to know that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish.

I have passed on your comments regarding the Spa to Caroline our Spa Manager; Caroline is very grateful for the points you have raised in relation to service and facility provided, I know Caroline will use your points constructively to focus on all areas where we can improve.

I also take on board your comments regarding the standard of the Lunch served in our Tuppers Bar, Emma Jane our operations manager and Gerard our head chef have already discussed this matter and again will focus the attention of their teams on providing a higher and more consistent standard in this regard.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Lyrath estate in the near future and meeting with you personally upon your return.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We have stayed at the Lyrath at least 15 times over the years, always lookedforward to going there, but sadly the standard seems to be falling.The staff dont really seem to care if the guests are lookedafter or not,lyrath is supossed to be a 5 star hotel and it used to be that in every way but not any more.kids club isin't what it was they dont have much going on for kids any more.overall it just dosen't feel the same.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear thomasedward10

I am very pleased to know that you are a frequent visitor to Lyrath estate, equally I am disappointed to hear that you feel that the standard appears to be falling and that the team. I strongly believe this not to be the case, and believe that whilst every business will from time to time suffer small lapses in service, that the team at Lyrath Estate provide a very high standard of service to all of our valued guests.

I am a little confused with your comments regarding the Kids club and that you felt the range of activities for children to be lacking. For the first year since opening we delivered a fully dedicated and supervised childrens club both in the morning and evening affording parents the opportunity to leave their children in our care to enjoy an extensive range of entertainment. On a daily basis we provided nature trails, kids discos, tony the tiger Kids club, cinema, console room, playground, crazy golf, basketball, air hockey, fuzz ball, arts and crafts, painting competitions, board games, picnics, kids high teas, swimming pool, pedallos and rowing boats. We have received excellent feedback from many families relating to the great improvements we have made to our family packages this summer. I would really appreciate discussing this matter with you in more detail and would ask that you contact me at gm@lyrath.com .

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel has lost it's appeal, I have stayed here on two occasions with my partner and was disgusted on second occasion. Management are not competent and this made our trip to hotel a bad experience. The rooms are of average size and spa facilities are also average. Although in a picturesque setting Lyrath has lost it's glory days

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Choinne
Dear Choinne

I am disappointed that you feel that Lyrath has lost its appeal, and that you feel management have led to a bad experience. Regrettably I am unable to pass further comment as you have not really explained which aspects of your stay were disappointing, rather you have comment in very broad unspecific terms; I would of course welcome the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail and would ask that you contact me at gm@lyrath.com, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss specific points. Materially our facilities have not changed and the room size and spa facilities have not been altered in recent times.

Trim, Ireland
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed here for one night, was going to stay longer, but nothing to hold you there. The bedroom was very basic and could do with a freshen up, the spa and leisure centre is very disappointing. The very loud, awful piped music everywhere is really annoying - please please turn it down and change the cd.
We ate in the thai restaurant and the food was really good, a very pleasant surprise and breakfast the next morning in the main restaurant was also very good.
As a venue it is just too big and too loud, not sure if its targeted at couples, families or corporate, need to get their identity sorted.
In general, I would recommend it, but not sure who it suits.

Room Tip: Endless corridors so ask for a room near the lifts.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Roxi32

I am pleased you enjoyed your experience in Yindees Thai restaurant and also at breakfast in La Perla restaurant, and I am glad that in general you would recommend the Hotel to potential guests. I am however disappointed that you felt the hotel to be lacking in terms of bedroom quality and ambiance. We have a continuous programme of redecoration in our bedrooms and indeed our public areas, if you would kindly let me know your room number I will ensure that I personally inspect the room and the last time we decorated it.

It was also concerning to learn that you were disappointed in the Spa and leisure facilities, again I would really appreciate it if you would let me know specifically what aspects you found disappointing as I will as with all feedback, constructively address any areas where we can improve our product. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your valued feedback in more detail, gm@lyrath.com.