“Defo NOT 5 STAR”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 28 July 2008

No matter what it says this is definitely not a five star hotel. It's a clean, comfortable hotel but it falls down on the extras that you come to expect from a five star hotel. Staff are very pleasant and helpful but could do with more traning. This was apparent everywhere, the bars, the reception and the SPA. Even though we had got a good deal with the package we were on there were too many shortfalls with our stay and these took the edge of our enjoyment. If it's the full five-star treatment you're after this is not the hotel to choose.

1  Thank relaxoh
Write a ReviewReviews (2,536)

Reviewed 27 July 2008

My wife and I stayed in Lyrath on June 5, 2008, with mixed results, see previous review from Snoodles. The management did finally contact and agreed that on our experience they were not up to standard.

My wife and her friend took Lyrath up on an advertised special offer, mid-week €165 pps for 2 BB and 1 D. They found it excellent value. The service in the dining room was far improved from the previous visit. It was attentive and organised and my wife felt the previous visit may have been one of their off days which should not happen in a hotel of this standard. She doesn't think it quite merits five stars, four is more applicable. For some dishes in the restaurant the pricing is five star but what you get is four star.

Without a special offer she feels their price structure is very expensive particularly for these times. Judging b y the number of people there she was no way alone in taking up the offer.

Lyrath has a lovely ambience of relaxation and restfulness which is hard to beat.

Snoodles

Reviewed 9 July 2008

Look, I'm not saying that this is a bad hotel. The staff are friendly. The rooms are excellent. The food is fine.........just fine (not 5 star dining though). I just can't knock this feeling that it should only have a 4 Star rating. It no doubt ticks all the technical boxes to gain the 5 stars but they will have to up their game on etiquette. In a 5 star you should wear a jacket to dinner. No short skirts, low tops, etc. No runners. If you want to splash around the new money, that's fine but guests need to buy into the etiquette that should come with staying in a 5 star.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Staying two nights, this was a girlie break for some golf and spa use. The new buildings blend in very well with the old house and the staff were extremely helpful and everywhere so you did not have to wait to catch someone's attention.
The pool is slightly on the small side but that was OK because it was no busy.
Food in the Thai restaurant was excellent and all in all the price for our stay was very good value for money.
Very good breakfast though it has to be said that at it's peak it was very busy and they stuggle to cope with all the guests.

Reviewed 26 June 2008

Lyrath seemed all a bit too new when it first opened - it was very plush, but seemed to lack character; the huge lobby area seemed impersonal and threatened to turn the whole experience into just another convention hotel. The good news is that the place has settled down remarkably well: staff are exceptionally friendly and professional and the food is excellent and much better value than one often finds in this kind of hotel (although the wine list is uninspired, and the notion of going down to a wine cellar to choose your bottle is a bit of a gimmick - it's hard to read the labels, and there are no tasting notes which would make it a more meaningful exercise). The swimming pool is a pleasure, with floor to ceiling glass windows on two sides, and a nice sense of swimming towards the hedgerows at the "infinity" end of the pool. The comfortable loungers make it a pleasant place to spend some time, reading or contemplating. Lyrath is close to Kilkenny city where anyone at all interested in wine should seek out Le Caveau, one of the best wine shops in Ireland and a holy grail for Burgundy.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 30 May 2008

WOW!!! Lyrath Estate has totally raised the bar. I hosted an event and was recommended the Lyrath by a business partner. All aspects of this hotel are magnificent, from the, decor, setting, clean crisp rooms, delicious food and most importantly the customer service. I read the brochure after my stay and noticed that Lyrath "is dedicated to meeting perfection" at all times. The Lyrath delivers in all its promises of excellence within the brochure. What makes the Lyrath different is the attention to detail and the small things that exceed your expectations. Its very rare that you find a place such as this. All the staff are friendly, welcoming and professional . When you walk into the lobby, it is easy to relax with the music and the surroundings. In fact I was surprised how comfortable and at home I felt, and that this was a new experience for me. Well Done Lyrath. Fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2008

I was celebrating my 30th birthday and my partner wanted to do something a little special.

We had stayed in other 5 stars in Ireland before, and having seen the Lyrath hotel on the television thought we would investigate what they had to offer.

I read trip advisor weeks before deciding to stay at Lyrath. There were mixed reviews and as such was a little cautious when planning on staying there. So I did what most people probably wouldn't do in this situation - I rang the hotel to find out more about them and to see if they could make my visit a special one -given the reviews I had read about them on TA.

I spoke with the GM there, Patrick Joyce. Having spoken with Patrick on the phone prior to my booking, and really feeling he was there to make my stay a special one, I decided to go ahead and book my 30th there.

On arrival after driving up the amazing private entrance I was greeted by Tom, the super nice gentleman on the door - and this I new was something I would remember. A jolly smile and a warm greeting - that I felt was really genuine.

Myself and my partner are vegetarians and this can sometimes limit us with choices when it comes to eating out - I had mentioned to Patrick on booking that we were both veggies and he assured me we would have a great choice of meals. He wasn't wrong - we actually had two dinner MENUS created for us - with our names on them specifically! Wow did we feel special! And that's not taking the lime light away from the birthday cake and singing that I received after the meal! All this because I took the time to find out more about them – they took it upon themselves to go above and beyond in providing me a birthday I wouldn’t forget.

A few people may have expressed problems here on Trip Advisor whilst staying here or anywhere else - but if you don’t tell the hotel when you are there they can't help to make your stay better! I for one won’t take all negative comments on face value. The good comments outweighed the bad - but it is the bad ones that seem to stick. Contact the hotel and have a chat with them if you are concerned - I am glad I did.
This stay will be one of many for me for years to come.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple