Lyrath Estate
Hotels.com
Newpark Hotel(Kilkenny)
US$271
US$246
Kilkenny Inn Hotel(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$187
  • Restaurant
US$230
  • Breakfast included
US$271
  • Restaurant
Aspect Hotel Kilkenny(Kilkenny)(Great Value!)
US$167
Orbitz.com
US$200
US$165
Zuni Hotel(Kilkenny)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,657 results
All reviewsla perlatuppers barthai restaurantyindees restaurantthermal suiteoasis spahydrotherapy poolold houseexecutive roomafternoon teaturn down serviceon arrivalrelaxation roomstar experiencelovely groundsmain restaurantspa treatments
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here in May 2012. It's a beautiful building, in a beautiful setting, full of beautiful people in designer gear. It's the kind of place you would expect to have died long since, along with our Celtic Tiger. I have never seen such a lovely bathroom or such professional receptionists but the awe ends there. There is a really strong tipping culture at this hotel, maybe it's at all 5stars I wouldn't know. I was staying an extra 2 nights in Kilkenny during a festival and my choices were here and a B&B, or 2 nights at a 2star. The B&B turned out to be great. But having arrived up at the Lyrath by taxi I was greeted by a porter in, I kid you not, top and tails, who made a big deal out of showing me where everything was as he insisted on trolleying my case to my room. All well and good except I had just been to the ATM and didn't want to give a €50 tip for this service. So I explained and promised to catch him again, which I did before I left. Anyway, I had booked a double for one but was given a twin, so Reception sent a maid to join the beds (I could feel the gap that night) and she made a big deal of putting sweets on my pillows and a little mat by the bed( I asked her what the mat was about and with a straight face she explained that it read "goodnight" on the way in and "good morning" on the way out. This apparently is a turndown service. And then SHE stood there too, expectantly. And I explained again, having been here maybe half an hour, that I hadn't had a chance to get change. I did know that at least €5 was expected, probably more. But I hadn't asked for these services and said so but they insisted thus leaving me embarrassed. And then I went to get a bite to eat and the waitress hung over my shoulder to see what gratuity I would put on my card for her. I saw red. I gave her €2 and a big smile. So I shouldn't have been surprised when the smoke alarm inside my room accidentally triggered that night and woke me (and the woman and child next door). Or that the overnight laundry service was off when requested that night. I woke, having slept badly, with a splitting headache. I couldn't even finish my favourite Eggs Benedict for breakfast. The only good thing was that the Receptionist said that it would be fine for me to go and take a relaxing bath for my headache and check out late. I had been able to get change while out in Kilkenny the night before and I was determined to come out of this with my pride intact. So on checking out, I left sizeable tips for the nice porter and the turndown maid. It was only then that the desk recalled that they had a jeep on hand to drop people to the station and I swear to God I was left feeling obliged to tip for this too. It's like a tipping culture that has grown beyond management's sight or it may actually be factored into the staff wages. Either way, it was highly unpleasant. Personally I believe that if you feel the need to have a mat to greet you in the morning you would be better off spending your money on a few hours of therapy instead of a night at the Lyrath.

Room Tip: Bring lots of €10 and €20 notes for them and they might let you sleep. And have the cash ready as soon as you arrive as they don't like waiting. Floor 2 is the lowest and rooms open onto terraces if you want to smoke.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank BusyMum_11
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear BusyMum_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny in May2012.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 2 November 2013

3nights B & B with 2 kids in an executive room. Staff lovely, rooms spacious, food lovely!! Pool slightly small but a lovely relaxing break. Plenty to do with kids. Close to town but yet very country orientated.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear CAIT F
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've stayed at the Lyrath Hotel half a dozen times, but this was the first time I had a beauty treatment there. It was a wonderful way to end my stay! The beautician, (I can't remember her name, but she's from Estonia) was so lovely to both my mother and myself. It's definitely worth the extra money to have a treatment in such relaxing surroundings. The meals were up to the usual top standard. The staff are always so nice, and the little extras like spacious rooms and balconies are great, even for a short two night stay. It's the sort of hotel that I'd happily lounge around all day, although we did go into Kilkenny city for a few hours. I'll definitely be back (a loyalty scheme would be good!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony (it may cost extra, I'm not sure). Facing on to the conservatory is nice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Maria R

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Loved every minute of our stay over midterm break. Stayed 2 nights on dinner b and b. La perla restaurant was just delicious and we really enjoyed it. Only thing I would criticise is that we were asked if we wanted sparkling or still water as we sat down (as if it came with our dinner) but were then charged 4.90 for it which is very expensive for water! Pool and changing rooms were on the small side but overall its a fab hotel and well run. We would definitely recommend it and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear amroarty

Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a 2-night B+B and 1 dinner package. As it was school mid-term, the hotel was full of families with young children, which was initially disappointing, but did not spoil our stay. Reception staff were efficient and all service was professional and friendly. The bedroom was spacious with a 6ft bed and a bathroom with bath and a great shower. Dinner in La Perla restaurant was very good and the buffet breakfast was the best I have experienced in Ireland, despite being very busy - again - well-trained staff! Pool is small and the spa was booked up, so did not get to try it. Surprised that Tuppers bar (only one open) was so small and lacked character. The fire should have been lit at least to give some atmosphere. Overall happy with quality of stay. Couples should avoid during school holiday periods, as I sensed it is very popular with families who seem to stay regularly!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on lowest floor - route to the pool!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple