“Magic”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Limerick, Ireland
“Magic”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed recently in Lyrath and it's hard to describe how amazing it was. The room was more than spacious (bathroom with separate shower & bath was huge). Hotel was busy with weddings both days (the room was so quite you wouldn't have known) but the staff were so nice and always said hello. Breakfast was the best I've ever had in a hotel. went to campagne in kilkenny, it was easy to see why it's a Michelin star restaurant. If I was back again the only thing we wouldn't do is to go to la Perla in the hotel, the was nice but no much better than you'd get in any takeaway. All in all the best hotel i've ever stayed and can't wait to go again. Imust say the version of events stated by 'busy mom' is hard to believe, think she stayed at a different hotel to me!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear thomand2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments, to be described as "magic" is praise indeed.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Leixlip
Reviewed 5 November 2013

we received a gift of two nights at this beautiful hotel. Our room was very spacious, bright and comfortable. Bathroom facilities were excellent - albeit no facecloth or hair conditioner which was a surprise.
We made the mistake of booking over mid term but in fairness the only thing this impacted was the need to queue for breakfast - once your were seated it wasn't an issue at all. Breakfast selection was very comprehensive, fresh and tasty. We also tried to pack too much into our time in Kilkenny so didnt get to enjoy the hotel, grounds or Spa as much as we would have liked. I will definitely be back with a more relaxed schedule.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Clare H

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I fall in love everytime I stay here!! It is just perfection. everyone in my family has stayed here for romantic getaways and the old world manor style blends perfectly with the modern hotel to suit our very different tastes. Everything in this hotel is amazing from the room, to the food, the staff, the spa and best of all the grounds with the two golden retrievers who just love the cuddles and walks. For a home away from home with luxury at every turn, Lyrath is the only option. Would also just like to say the shock i felt after reading the review from 'busyMum_11' I had to pick my jaw up from the floor - I have never experienced pressure to tip any member of staff or noticed any lingering over my shoulder........maybe this is because I am young and they don't expect tips but I'm pretty sure its just not the case! Looking forward to my next visit already!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelrz
Dear Shelrz

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

Dublin
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Went for a girls shopping / overnight stay in Kilkenny & chose Lyrath House to stay. We were given a free upgrade to an Executive room but unfortunately we were not able to stay in this fabulous room as they don't come with twin beds but our room we were changed to was lovely.

Both dinner and breakfast was out of this world, we had dinner in La Perla & cannot recommend it enough.

Staff were very helpful and nice although a little understaffed with a wedding and a pre-wedding dinner happening with the goings on.

The Oasis spa was devine and definately worth a visit after a long day shopping

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Elle1_25Dublin

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Recently stayed overnight at Lyrath, with my husband and friends, to celebrate a birthday. Everything from the moment we checked in, was first class. Staff were friendly and professional. Room was bright, clean and spacious, however, the little touches made our stay. I had asked the hotel, by email, if they could do anything to enhance my friend's stay, as it was her birthday we were celebrating. A handwritten note from the guest services manager, along with chocolates were waiting for her when she arrived in her room. Pool area is bright and clean and the water is warm. Breakfast the next day, while busy, (following a wedding the previous night), was fresh and tasty. The only downside and its very minor, was the bar downstairs had an overwhelming smell of cooking fish (which was obviously on the menu that day), which meant we sat in the reception area while we enjoyed our drink. Overall, a lovely stay, would definitely recommend and will hopefully stay again soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank fk1701
Dear Fk1701

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here in May 2012. It's a beautiful building, in a beautiful setting, full of beautiful people in designer gear. It's the kind of place you would expect to have died long since, along with our Celtic Tiger. I have never seen such a lovely bathroom or such professional receptionists but the awe ends there. There is a really strong tipping culture at this hotel, maybe it's at all 5stars I wouldn't know. I was staying an extra 2 nights in Kilkenny during a festival and my choices were here and a B&B, or 2 nights at a 2star. The B&B turned out to be great. But having arrived up at the Lyrath by taxi I was greeted by a porter in, I kid you not, top and tails, who made a big deal out of showing me where everything was as he insisted on trolleying my case to my room. All well and good except I had just been to the ATM and didn't want to give a €50 tip for this service. So I explained and promised to catch him again, which I did before I left. Anyway, I had booked a double for one but was given a twin, so Reception sent a maid to join the beds (I could feel the gap that night) and she made a big deal of putting sweets on my pillows and a little mat by the bed( I asked her what the mat was about and with a straight face she explained that it read "goodnight" on the way in and "good morning" on the way out. This apparently is a turndown service. And then SHE stood there too, expectantly. And I explained again, having been here maybe half an hour, that I hadn't had a chance to get change. I did know that at least €5 was expected, probably more. But I hadn't asked for these services and said so but they insisted thus leaving me embarrassed. And then I went to get a bite to eat and the waitress hung over my shoulder to see what gratuity I would put on my card for her. I saw red. I gave her €2 and a big smile. So I shouldn't have been surprised when the smoke alarm inside my room accidentally triggered that night and woke me (and the woman and child next door). Or that the overnight laundry service was off when requested that night. I woke, having slept badly, with a splitting headache. I couldn't even finish my favourite Eggs Benedict for breakfast. The only good thing was that the Receptionist said that it would be fine for me to go and take a relaxing bath for my headache and check out late. I had been able to get change while out in Kilkenny the night before and I was determined to come out of this with my pride intact. So on checking out, I left sizeable tips for the nice porter and the turndown maid. It was only then that the desk recalled that they had a jeep on hand to drop people to the station and I swear to God I was left feeling obliged to tip for this too. It's like a tipping culture that has grown beyond management's sight or it may actually be factored into the staff wages. Either way, it was highly unpleasant. Personally I believe that if you feel the need to have a mat to greet you in the morning you would be better off spending your money on a few hours of therapy instead of a night at the Lyrath.

Room Tip: Bring lots of €10 and €20 notes for them and they might let you sleep. And have the cash ready as so...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BusyMum_11
Dear BusyMum_11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny in May2012.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

N.ireland
Reviewed 2 November 2013

3nights B & B with 2 kids in an executive room. Staff lovely, rooms spacious, food lovely!! Pool slightly small but a lovely relaxing break. Plenty to do with kids. Close to town but yet very country orientated.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business