“Lovely but probably won't stay again”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Pros: We very much enjoyed our stay. Our Executive room and bathroom were exactly as depicted in photos on their websites and were large by European standards and well appointed. Our room overlooked a stand of trees and a farm meadow and it felt very private. There was a family next door with an infant and we never heard a sound from their room. There was a good variety of breakfast choices and the staff was very accommodating even to guests who were late for breakfast. The negatives: While only about a 5-7 minute ride to town it was a 10 Euro ride each way so if you don't have a car add 20 Euros each day to the overall cost of your stay. We are fit and healthy but opted not to walk as the road to town was several lanes wide and very busy and there were no sidewalks most of the way. Internet was free but the signal was quite weak, even in the Tuppers Bar right off the lobby, probably due to the thick stone walls of the original building. Be mindful that unless you get one of the few rooms in the old house, your room will actually be in a very modern building and this hotel is pricey compared to others in the area so you are paying for old world charm that you experience very little of. The staff was friendly but most of them were not locals and couldn't really provide much useful information about the surrounding area. A hotel of this size and rating should have a concierge. While we truly had a lovely stay I think that on our next visit to Kilkenny we will stay somewhere a bit less expensive or closer to town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorldTravelers003
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear WorldTravelers

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Iain Gray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,533)

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is a truly wonderful place to stay. Not sure what it's star rating is but it's got to be more than four & could be as high as seven. Behind the facade of the original 17th century house is a magnificent & tastefully integrated modern structure, housing the accommodation, the restaurants,the bars, the health & fitness centre, the spa, the convention centre & a host of other meeting rooms & features. The accommodation is top notch with no detail omitted. The seven course meal we enjoyed was second to none & all courses were served with style, panache & good humour.
The breakfast also mor than measured up to its star rating. My only regret is that I could only stay one night but for sure I will be back at the first opportunity.

Room Tip: If there is one available, try to get a suite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear silverfox 711

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Very well appointed bedrooms, spacious, stunning views and peaceful surroundings. Stayed here for Kilkenny Chamber Award and well done to all staff, the evening was a great success. Will definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade - you dont ask you dont get
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Polishslovakian

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed here last night ... I am not one to post on trip advisor but as I am a hotel critic I needed to express my thoughts on this hotel. Where to start... The staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful from start to finish. I cannot fault the rooms but the first point of call for me is the staff. If the staff are not friendly or helpful you can forget it. The food itself was average. Due to unforeseen circumstances I could not travel home today so I requested to stay again and they looked to charge €220 for the one night. I had only paid €112 for last night and I felt because I had stayed the night before that the price could have been better. I cannot understand that they would prefer to have no money at all rather than what I would have paid. I will not return again

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank Unknown188
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Unknown

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent Visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am surprised and of course disappointed at your comments regarding the team at Lyrath, particularly as you were looking to extend your stay at the hotel. It appears that the rate quoted for a second night stay is the issue that has caused dissatisfaction; in common with all hotels the rates quoted are based on the availability of bedrooms not an arbitrary decision simply based around picking a value on a room. I am sure as a hotel Critic that you will be aware that this is common practice.

I am of course sorry to learn that certain other aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Was lucky enough to stop here for a bite to eat with my partner. We sat out on the conservatory and had the ceaser salad wrap with veg soup. Absolutely gorgeous and full afterwards. Fantastic interior. Staff were very friendly and helpful. 5 star service in a 5 star venue. Will be back again

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Glen B

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed there for one night as a special treat, the surrounding is amazing, food was great, the staff at the Spa were excellent, I could not recommend this hotel highly enough for its value for money. A beautiful blend of the 17th centruy building with a huah steel wrap around to creative an amazig atrium that was lit up in the evening time. Well do, great job.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DavidMulligan 34

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed there two nights for a wedding. We couldn't fault it, the room, food, staff were all lovely. The location is very scenic and you can really relax here. I would definitely return again , this was my third time at this hotel and it never fails to impress.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends