“Has gone downhill from last stay”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have been a frequent visitor to Lyrath over the past few years and therefore think I can give an honest opinion based on my experiance. Previous to my last visit I have always enjoyed my stay which is why I chose to return. Based on last visit I think it may be my last

Room
We booked a night away (our first child free in 3 years) and decided to treat outselves to a suite. Suite was lovely but beginning to show slight signs of wear and tear and I dont know if the mattress needs replacing or has been replaced poorly but was the most uncomfortable matress Ive slept on in a long time. Had only stayed in hotel 7 months previous and no issue with mattress on that stay. Also the demand service wasnt working on the TV in the room so our plan to watch a movie wasnt to be. We did notify a member of staff to see if it could be fixed and in fairness they did try resetting it (to no avail) but did admit it had stopped working in the bad weather. I do think a hotel that claims to be 5* needs to have issues like this addressed and resolved ASAP and if a service is advertised it should be available. Biggest issue though was the maintenace work ongoing outside hotel. It would have been nice to be informed of this either on booking (we rang to book a few days earlier) or on check in as I would have requested another room. Too late when youre trying to have a long anticipated lie on and are awoken from 9am by the constant drilling and banging of the walls right outside your room. We had booked a late checkout but was wasted because we couldnt really use it

Think this was the most disappointing aspect of our stay. We had lunch in Tubbers bar on arrival and previous to this trip have always found the food delicious. This time myself and partner both ordered steaks. They were dreadul. While they were cooked as ordered, they hadnt been rested which meant they arrived on our plates swimming in juices and were tough and didnt taste like a good quality steak. We had dinner in Yindees that night and food was OK. Nothing wrong as such but with the price your paying just expected more in terms of flavour and quality of food. It wasnt just us either. Got chatting to couple at next table, also on a return visit and their view was same as ours. Due to a mixup in the kitchen they had nearly an hour wait between starter and main and they thought food when it finally arrived was "disappointing" and had lost the freshness enjoyed on previous visits

Staff
In general the staff as always were amazing. Friendly, helpful and whatever downfalls the hotel is suffering its not due to them. Only exception to this was Maitre 'D in Yindees who made a smart remark when seating us. I asked if we could have another table when he was seating us as we wanted to be facing each other rather than sitting beside each other. Wasnt too happy with the request. Not sure why as plenty of empty tables.

Pool
We decided to us the pool on 2 occasions while we were there and both times children were in/around the Jacuzzi which was clearly marked as over 18's. Sometimes signs arent clear or parents choose to ignore them fair enough. On our previous trips pool staff always inforced this, in a very nice way but meant they were child free. This time staff seemed to ignore it so a realxing Jacuzzi was no longer a realxing Jacuzzi with children trying to get in

In summary I dont know if Ill return because for the money we spent I expected more. Little rest, poor food and amenities not availble made for a less thasn enjoyable stay

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Alibabe2655,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent Visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

I am also grateful to you for highlighting the excellent staff at Lyrath. As you saw whilst staying with us, we are investing in improving the property, and whilst this does bring some short term and regrettably unavoidable disruption, our ongoing and long terms commitment is centered on investing in this excellent hotel and driving standards forward.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com; I would welcome the opportunity of a more detailed discussion with you regarding our future plans.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights last summer and it was absolutely amazing! The hotel and grounds are very well kept as well as the interior. The pool and thermal spa were very welcome on the Sunday too! The food was delicious and the service was perfectly timed. It's also perfectly distanced from the town too, it was less than 5 minutes drive but once at the hotel you felt like you were hours from any busy roads or streets. Will definitely be returning here sometime again. Thanks to everyone at the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Gfin14

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent stay with us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. I have passed on your kind comments to the team who have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind words.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

It was our first time staying at the Lyrath. We arrived around noon and were happily greeted, they even had our room ready! We then spent the afternoon in the spa and relaxation suite. Our treatments were great. We then popped into the pub for a small lunch which was again fantastic, great food and service. That evening we ate in the main restaurant La Perla, food was absolutely delicious. Our room was very clean and comforting. House keeping checked on us mid afternoon to see if we needed any fresh towels or bottled water which I though was very thoughtful. Over all a fantastic stay with very friendly and helpful staff! Can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JocelynC

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your wedding celebrations with us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Last Sunday we had my son's Confirmation Lunch in La Perla Restaurant in Lyrath Estate Hotel. We had a group of 24 adults and 12 children. The Children had a fantastic day, and were so well looked after in the Restaurant, their food was so efficiently and promptly served when we sat down, I had pre-ordered from a very impressive children's menu the day before.
This made everything so relaxed and enjoyable for us all. Then the big hit after lunch for the children was been able to watch a movie in their own private cinema ! A huge thanks to Gerard and his kitchen team who also made a delicious cake for the event and to Brian and his restaurant team. Everyone was so impressed with such a delicious lunch and extremely attentive and friendly service. Definitely 5 stars !! can't wait to go back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Andreaf024

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent with us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We had a really nice midterm family break staying for two nights at the Lyrath. From the moment we arrived in the pouring rain we were warmly greeted by the doorman and all staff. Our room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. The kids really enjoyed the pool and the childrens activities which were available during this schools out week and of course the lovely treat of pancakes and waffles which were available during breakfast. My husband and I had a delicious meal in the La Perla on our first night. All our dealings with staff were pleasant and efficient. The hotel was very busy during our stay and breakfast on our second morning was extremely busy but the staff did their utmost to keep smiling and deliver a high level of service to all hotels guests. We have stayed in many hotels and the level of service was very high we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Keating JT

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff! Concierge is such a gent!! Beautifully decorated for Christmas!we had afternoon tea as a family for 2.5 hours. Relaxed & top of tea offered regularly! 5 afternoon teas & everything was plentiful. Looking forward to next year already !

Stayed: December 2013

Dear Angestar

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following your recent visit to us here at Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. I have passed on your kind comments to the team who have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

From arrival to departure this hotel was good but lacked that little something to set it apart. Executive room was a good size and staff were good except for check-in where we were the only couple in the reception area but the 2 reception staff appeared uninterested in having to check us in! Another member of staff showed us to the room and he was excellent in his description of what was on offer in the hotel. There were remedial works taking place during our 2 day stay and although the work was being carried out in the distance the "drilling" of masonry permiated our room from morning to late afternoon. Breakfast was good but do take note of the menu on your table as you would need to order items like porridge and poached eggs from it. A small tip for the hotel breakfast is that small trays should be provided to save you the many trips you need to make to the buffet as your table can be a distance away. We had a meal in La Perla but found it overpriced while the food didn't stand up to the menu description!
We would return in the future with no works going on and hope the "welcome" we received was a once off!

Room Tip: Executive rooms are perfect for comfort