“Great surprise in Kilkenny”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
California
“Great surprise in Kilkenny”
Reviewed 10 September 2008

We were traveling with 4 of our friends. We just happened to find this Hotel on a website and booked it. It turned out to be one of our best finds in Ireland. The staff was more than friendly and quite eager to help. The Estate is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are very modern. There is absolutely nothing that they did not provide. The surrounding countryside takes your breath away with its beauty. We were able to book reservations in their dining room and it met all our expectations. The food was prepared and presented beautifully. On top of that it tasted good! They had an extensive wine list which complimented our meal. In the morning, the breakfast was just as satisfying as the dinner, the night before. Hated to leave.

• Liked — Beautiful setting with all the luxury!
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Cork
Reviewed 6 September 2008

A group of us went to this hotel recently for a 2 night break. Hotel looks fab when we arrived and the staff at the front desk were very nice and helpful. The bedroom was just average no view just the side of the swimming pool. bathroom very nice.
we went to the bar for a meal the first night, and were waiting close to an hour for our meal to come, not acceptable for a 5 star hotel. The prices of drinks in the bar are outrageous and should not be allowed.
all in all i would say it should be classed as a4 star, could not see why it was rated 5 star except for the 5 star prices

• Liked — Gardens
  • Disliked — Prices in the bar
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank StaceyCork
Virginia
Reviewed 5 September 2008

This was the most fantastic hotel that we stayed in during our two weeks in Ireland. Fantastic 5 star plus ! Great breakfast, rooms, staff and total facility. Even the dogs were grand! I would highly recommend this hotel to you.

• Liked — Service and the beauty of the accommodations, lovely and up scale.
  • Disliked — Our room could have had a better view
  • Stayed August 2008
Louth
Reviewed 28 August 2008

While the reception, bar, restaurant staff were wonderful and made us feels very pampered, the restaurant at the Lyrath was such a disappointment as to spoil our whole stay. The menu was very limited and we had to wait 45 minutes before getting our starters, a further 15 minutes after finishing that the soup arrived and was cold. Veg and potatoes with Mains were not hot and the coffee (luke warm) arrived 15 minutes before the dessert. Maybe it was just a bad night but a 5 star can't afford to have bad nights. We ate in the bar the next 2 nights and it was excellent. Better selection, better service, hotter food, and well priced. The drinks at the bar were a little more expensive than usual but not massively so. The hotel was lovely and rooms adequate. A good 4 star maybe ( if the restaurant was sorted out) but it is not a 5 star. It gives the window-dressing trappings of 5 star with the annoying doorman and overly eager porters but it is just a good 4 star.

2 Thank PBMLouth
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I recently enjoyed the mid week "Pamper Me" package with my boyfriend in the Lyrath Estate. We spent 2 nights and over all it was a lovely stay. I would say however that it is more a 4 than a 5 star hotel.
The Staff were very helpful, polite and professional. The rooms were lovely and comfortable and the bathroom was great with a large walk in shower. One point to note is they don't provide much on the Shampoo and Shower Gel side of things. I would recommend bringing your own. Also on the second day, after our room was cleaned, the key card we had in for the lights disappeared.
Both restaurants were excellent, food was great and wait staff were very professional. Tubbers bar was a bit expensive. We ate lunch there both days and felt the prices were too high for food/ drink (a class of Pinot Giorgio was €8.50!) However we had no plans to leave the hotel and go into the town so we made do.
The spa was very nice but not 5 star. When I went down for my first treatment it was very quiet, so I had the relaxation room to myself, which lovely however I noticed that a lot of the white covers on the seats were stained with what seemed to be make-up etc. Not really what you'd expect for a 5 star. I had 1 hour facial booked @ 1pm as part of the package. The treatment was lovely and relaxing, however it started 15 mins late and still finished at 2pm. When it was finished I had a soak the heated infinity pool which was amazing. The sauna and steam were standard, however the women's tropical shower's were not working so I had to use the men's. When I went to treat myself to some tea (facilities located outside the relaxation room) there was no hot water left, I thought this strange as there was not many people about. It seemed like it had never been filled that day. Also the hand moisturiser in the bathrooms was empty. I had a 30 minute back neck and shoulder later that afternoon and it definitely wasn't the best I've ever had. There was no rhythm to it and again it was 25 mins not the full 30. I guess I should have complained about all this while I was there, but I was on a "Pamper Me" package and I didn't want to stress myself! :)
My boyfriend on the other hand had amazing massage and had no real complaints about the spa.
I would recommend this hotel but not as a 5 star. The spa could do with a bit more attention, but overall I had a very relaxing stay!

• Liked — The bedroom!
  • Disliked — The Spa could have been better.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Stayed in this hotel for one night to attend a function. Service from reception onwards was shoddy and certainly not befitting a supposed 5 star hotel. Unable to understand many of the staff as they were from Eastern Europe with very limited english, reception staff couldn't understand me and I could not understand them. Spa grossly over priced. Bar prices very high. Returned to room at one stage during the evening the find that towels had been removed and not replaced, no idea why, they had not been used. Bring your own shower gel, shampoo and soap as these are in very very short supply.

Overall would not recommend this hotel at the price or level of service.

• Liked — wooden floors in bedrooms
  • Disliked — price and lack of good quality service
1 Thank Fossy_8
dublin
Reviewed 11 August 2008

I stayed with my girlfriend at the Lyrath Estate for a one night midweek break in April 07. The hotel may be many things but it certainly is not 5 star.

We found the staff to be disinterested to the point of being surly. We had been looking forward to enjoying the spa failities but were disappointed to find ourselves sitting in the hot tub looking out on the conference centre where there were a bunch of Diageo sales people smoking and talking on their mobile phones...we felt like we were in a business park...which is exactly what we were trying to take a break from.

The problem with this place is that it sets unrealistic expectations and charges accordingly. I do not know who awards 5 stars to hotels like this, but whoever is responsible sets the bar very low indeed. If the hotel had been sold to us as a 3 star conference center hotel on a roundabout beyond walking distance from the city we would not have been disappointed because we would have known what to expect.

Overall very disappointing and not to be recommended. Maybe they have sharpened up since we stayed and if so good luck to them. This does not change the fact that the place is primarily a conference centre.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple