“Little getaway.”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
“Little getaway.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

My boyfriend and myself stayed here for two nights as a birthday break. We drove down from Dublin and our room was available immediately even though we arrived early. A lovely red headed girl checked us in, though I didn't get her name.

We were on the 4th floor and had a gorgeous view of the grounds from our window. The room was spotlessly clean, very spacious and there was a complimentary bottle of wine and box of chocolates waiting which I thought was a nice touch. We rang down later that night to see if it was possible to swap the red wine for a white, this was done for us without a problem and we were left the red wine too.

The spa was lovely, we had the thermal suite experience and the staff were so friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast had an excellent selection of food and drinks available. My only problem was there wasn't anything gluten free available apart from fruit, I had expected this though so it really wasn't an issue at all.

We had afternoon tea in Tuppers Bar on our second day, it was delicious and beautifully presented. My only disappointment was you aren't offered a choice in the sandwiches or scones you just have to wait and see what arrives.

The grounds of the hotel were just beautiful. All the staff were so friendly and professional, they always said hello if it's passed them in the hallway.

I'd very much recommend this hotel, we'll definitely be back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Aisling R,

Thank you very Much for taking the time to share your feedback with us following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lyrath Estate again in the near future.

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Lyrath for one night. We had reserved the room through booking.com, and had emailed the hotel directly to request an early checkin. Our request was met and not only but we were upgraded to a beautiful executive suite by Iona, who I want to Thank so much it was a lovely gesture we did not expect it! When we arrived we were greeted by the lovely Ciara, who was very friendly and ever so nice. She gave us a quick run through the happenings in the hotel on the evening. We got to our room and the first thing that wowed us was the beautiful view from our window. The bedroom was beautiful and spotless. It was lovely and spacious. As we were heading out we needed a taxi which was quickly organised by the girls on reception. After our evening out, we came back to hotel and enjoyed a couple of drinks in Tuppers Bar. The following morning we went down to dining room for breakfast to which there was a great display of food and plenty of choice. We were ever so reluctant to leave the hotel, however we were checked out by Ciara who was again so lovely. We will definitely be back it was a beautiful stay...wish it could have been for longer... Next time we will have to take a visit to your leisure centre and take a walk around the grounds of the hotel. We ran out of time!! Thanks again to the staff at the Lyrath Estate Hotel for making our stay very relaxing.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mellisad,

Lahinch, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Wow great hotel and pool
Spa area to die for
Staff great and friendly and had dinner in thai restraunt lovely will be definately back
At breakfast say a staff member greeting kids and making deals if the finish their breakfast even crept into the kids games room and wow

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear JohnJohn1981,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Positives are the old house - which is beautiful, Yindees restaurant and the grounds which are amazing and a real differentiator. Lots of nice walks and was beautiful when we visited. Quite near to Kilkenny too if you have a car, a fantastic city with lots to do and great places to eat!

First impressions weren't great as there were long queues at the very cramped reception area. I think they should use the spacious lobby to create a more accommodating reception desk. The queues were almost out the door. Room size was surprisingly small for a hotel that was newly built less than 10 years ago on a greenfield site. Otherwise it was comfortable though and housekeeping was good.

Swimming pool disappointing - was very cold in the pool area so not very inviting to stay around there.

Breakfast is chaotic with very long queues so I recommend to get there early - they even ran out of butter one morning! Yindees restaurant was excellent and staff were great there.

Overall it has potential but it needs improvement to be a real 5*.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear nlank,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

My Mom, sister and I stayed in the Lyrath to celebrate my birthday in April. We stayed on a busy Easter weekend and from the moment we checked in to when we checked the service was of the highest standard and we all agreed we will be back soon to recharge the batteries again!

We chose the Girls Allowed package which included an overnight stay, afternoon tea, evening meal and access to the private cinema to watch a movie of choice with popcorn and champagne. When booking we enquired to add on spa treatments and in my email correspondence with Dee Grant, we found her most accommodating.

We arrived at 12:30 in advance of our spa treatments where we opted for Indian head massages and facials, I must say the spa and therapists were excellent and it was pure relaxation (unfortunately I cannot recall the names of the therapists but we all raved about our individual therapists). The outdoor pool was the highlight - a must!

We then checked into our room and were delighted that we had one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the Georgian part of the hotel.

We had afternoon tea outside overlooking the maze style gardens as the weather was salubrious. The afternoon tea itself was also great, as it was a busy weekend service was a little slow but this did not bother us as we were happy to take in the view of the gardens and relax.

We had dinner in La Perla restaurant and both Mom and I had the beef and agreed that it was one of the best fillets we have ever had.

We booked the cinema for 9:00pm and contrary to other reviews we asked reception whether we could change into our pyjamas and robes and it was no problem. When booking the cinema originally with Dee she was so nice and send on the list of DVDs and added that if we wanted any new releases it was no problem for them to arrange this. We chose to wach Breakfast at Tiffanys in the end, which they had. Before the film started our fresh, hot popcorn and champagne was delivered to us.

We had a lovely breakfast the following morning, I amo not a fan of buffet breakfasts but found it to be hot and fresh with a great selection.

We were all sorry to leave as we checked out - a beautiful location, great service and amenities and very relaxing!

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting one of the rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CocoIIIII,

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I spent three nights here and I must say, it was fabulous.

Pros:
The general manager Iain, kindly upgraded us to a fabulous room as we were celebrating a special occasions. He also came to introduce himself to us personally during our stay, a nice touch. Breakfast was plentiful and well organised. We had a lovely walk on the grounds. A very special mention to two fantastic staff members Kamil & Jan who helped us out of a difficulty!!

Cons:
The Thai restuarant had a very long wait for food but we were offered a complimentary drink.
The pool is tiny.
Tea and coffee are super expensive!

Despite these minor issues, we would certainly return and have fond memories of our stay!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MiriamClancy,

kildare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Myself and my Fiance stayed in the Lyrath in January as we were lucky enough to receive a voucher for a stay along with afternoon tea and a spa treatment each. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted and checked in as well as orrientated to where we could find our room, where breakfast was served and where the spa was located. When we opened the door to our room we were very pleasently suprised. The room was large, spacious with a large bathroom with bath and separate shower area. There was plenty of room to store clothes. The massive bed was dressed in clean, white, crisp linen with fluffy soft pillows. Needless to say we slept very well. The bed faced the patio doors which led out to a balcony which overlooked the gardens. I imagined how nice this would look in summer.
We took a stroll down to the spa to double check our appointment times for the spa treatments the next day and to avail of the afternoon tea. In the spa it appeared that there was a problem with our treatments which didn't seem to be in the diary. However the spa therapist resolved the problem swiftly and very professionally and accomodated us with appointments the next day. She also told us where we could have afternoon tea and told us to come back to the spa later to enjoy the facilities. We had our afternoon tea overlooking the grounds and it consisted of sandwiches, scones and various cakes served with tea or coffee. It was quite substantial and certainly kept us going until dinner. We spent some time in the spa afterwards.
The spa was beautiful. The changing rooms were immaculate with lockers for personal items and fluffy white robes and towels. The relaxation area was lovely and the perfect area to chill with still and sparkling water, fresh fruit, tea and coffee making facilitiesand fruit infused water. We alternated between the sauna and the hydrotherapy pool which for me was the highlight of the spa area. It was and indoor/outdoor pool which overlooked the gardens. It was bliss to bathe in a warm pool while taking in the fresh air.
Deirdre on reception was a great help in advising us on places to eat and places to go in Kilkenny. She had a great knowledge of local restaurants, pubs and what was on. Breakfast again was substantial with a fine spread of a hot cooked breakfast, various cereals, fruit, pastries and waffles. Our spa treatments were very enjoyable. We both had the back neck and shoulder massage. Our therapist had vast experience in sports massage and worked miracles with our tired muscles.
Overall we had an extremely pleasant stay and found the staff and service excellent. I have since bought family and friends vouchers for the afternoon tea and spa treatment special which is excellent value at €50. I would recommend a stay here to anyone including those with children as they also have a fully kited out games room available to children which I'm sure would be greatly appreciated during a stay with children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple