“Not 5 star!”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Dublin, Ireland
“Not 5 star!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Lyrath. I splashed out on this "5 star" for my boyfriend's birthday and unfortunately we didn't get what we paid for. On arrival we had lunch in the outdoor patio area and it was quite pricey for what we got. The food, a goats cheese crostini and chicken Caesar wrap, were very bland. It put us off eating there for lunch/dinner for the remainder of the weekend. The room was fine and had nice views of the gardens. We were looking forward to using the thermal suite and spa and decided to leave treatments until our second day. However upon arrival at the spa were asked to pay in to the thermal suite €15 each which I could not believe after paying so much for the room! And I use the term "thermal suite" lightly one of the steam rooms and saunas were not working and so we were left with the open air hot tub, tropical shower and one other sauna & steam room to use. Definitely will not be recommending the Lyrath.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BCiaraB
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear BCiaraB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have just returned home, from what was a fantastic break in Lyrath,shared with 9 friends.From the moment of our arrival until departure this was indeed a 5 star experience.A fantastic hotel in a stunning location,close to one of Irelands hidden gems (Kilkenny City)the biggest plus were the wonderful staff,reception,bar,dining room.in fact any member of staff we engaged with were professional,efficient and most of all, so so welcoming and warm.Other 5 star venues should follow suit.Just the sort of hospitality that made Ireland such a popular destination in the early days, when that was all we had to offer!No spas,no pools just our natural friendliness.I could not rate The Lyrath too highly and look forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Irishtouristontour,

I cannot describe to you what a pleasure it was to read your kind review following your recent stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. Let me thank you sincerely for sharing your wonderful experiences with us.

I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. The staff still proves to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and hard work are unrivalled and they really are a major contributor to the success of the hotel. They take great pride in their work and try their level best to ensure that every guest enjoys their time away.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I recently had a mid-week break here with my wife as a sort of mini honeymoon. From the beginning I had a good feeling about the venue. When I rang to book a meal I was delighted to speak with the receptionist who was extremely friendly and professional and guessed it was a special occasion.

On our arrival, we found a complimentary bottle of preseco in our room as well as a hand written note from the concierge, Luke Smith, offering both his and the hotels congratulations. Later that evening we rang down to order the treat pack and was told it had been discontinued. Instead of leaving it at that the concierge brought us complimentary freshly made popcorn and truffles. Truely an excellent service from a friendly and dedicated member of staff.

At dinner both evenings we were congratulated by the waiting staff at various times throughout the meals. This personal touch really makes a stay important.

Lyrath house is an excellent hotel that flies the flag high for Irish tourism. We most definitely will be back.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Irishtouristontour,

I cannot describe to you what a pleasure it was to read your review following your recent stay. Let me thank you sincerely for sharing your wonderful experiences with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the hotel, the staff still proves to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and hard work are unrivalled and they really are a major contributor to the success of the hotel. They take great pride in their work and try their level best to ensure that every guest enjoys their time away.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Lyrath. A top class location and a very relaxed atmosphere from the moment we entered. The rooms were what you would expect from an establishment of this standard. Food was quite good, although service was erratic (due to the fact that the computer system for ordering/tills had crashed - totally understandable!!) We both had steak and desserts were a real treat - oreo cheesecake with candied popcorn was a highlight. Breakfast was a let down however. The cooked meats had been re-heated so many times they were tasteless. the cold selection was top class however. The Oasis Spa was the best spent €150 ever. Worth every penny, especially the outdoor hydrotherapy pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lifts. Long walk to others
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Naomhcolm,

Thank you for your fantastic review and for taking the time out to share your experiences with us. On behalf of all my staff and I, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

The team and I were delighted to read your lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your words of praise which are very kind indeed. I have a soft spot for the Oreo Cheesecake myself ;)

I am also thrilled to read that you enjoyed our Oasis Spa. It truly is a haven of relaxation and the hydro therapy pool is an ideal location to gaze out upon some of the beautiful gardens.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future for another relaxing stay.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Our second stay here proved to be a much more enjoyable experience than the first. This time we were upgraded to a luxury suite. The room was huge. Breakfast buffet was very good, plenty to choose from - we highly recommend the pancakes and syrup. We will definitely return again in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Janine231,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your second stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.
The team and I are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and the upgrade to the Suite.
We are truly honoured that you returned to us for the second time and we are looking forward to your next visit already. If I can be of any further assistance for your next stay please don't hesitate to contact me personally.

ireland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at Lyrath during June bank holiday weekend, as part of girls allowed package. Beginning with afternoon tea, which was fabulous, dinner at Yindees also fantastic, followed by a movie in the screening room. This is a perfect break for a group of friends. We had slight delay with screening of our movie and staff went above and beyond in making it up to us. Rooms are beautiful, plenty of space, high ceilings, amazing view from our room. Enjoyed the extra little touches such as the turn down service. Grounds are peaceful and well worth a walk around and also thoroughly enjoyed the bar/ conservatory area. Hotel is so well maintained and attention to detail is fantastic,but what really makes Lyrath hotel special is the staff. We will be making a return visit as soon as possible. One very minor issue was no hot water on Sunday morning of our trip but that was beyond hotels control and they worked to resolve it and offered use of spa for showers.

Room Tip: Room 303, fabulous views of gardens outside, on same floor as lobby but very peaceful.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ned1Ireland
Dear Ned1Ireland,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.
From your review, I am very pleased to see that you seemed to really have experienced a lot of what is on offer here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

It's ever so wonderful to hear you found the facilities, food and service top class throughout the hotel. I am also delighted to read that you enjoyed our popular "Girls Allowed" package. we are thrilled you had such a great time with us I am so happy that our team’s friendliness and service was a real highlight for you. We believe that our service will ultimately determine whether our guests will return and your feedback is incredibly encouraging for me and my team and thank you for recognising them and their efforts. I have shared your kind words to the team and they have asked to pass on their thanks and gratitude.

We are truly honoured that you choose to stay with us here at the Lyrath Estate Hotel and my only hope is that you don't wait too long until your return.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We travelled from Belfast and further for a girly birthday weekend. Room was lovely - balcony was great. Our friends room didnt have a balcony (shame) so the drinks were on us!

Breakfast on Sat was a bit odd...we went up to get our cooked breakfast from buffet (after our fruit or cereal) to find our table cleared completely! Even though cardigan, jacket and a bag was still over our chairs (which a family next to us said they would keep an eye on. And they did - it wasnt up to them to save our cups of tea/coffee and toast!) Staff seemed bemused when asked for coffee, tea and fresh toast ... oh and cutlery please?!
Dined in hotel fusion/asian restaurant on Sat night. Excellent service but two main courses were very salty - both green curry dishes. I know fish paste can be salty but almost inedible. Restaurant manager was very good - told us chef disagreed - but replaced dishes to our choice. Two glasses of prossecio to make up. Also, more glasses for all after dessert. Thanks for that!

All of us enjoyed our spa treatments too! And we've left Lyrath Estate with happy memories and possibly a will to return!

Thanks to all the great staff !

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear RedRedWin,

Thank you for the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments. I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would like to assure you that the issues raised have been discussed appropriately in the relevant departments.

I do hope to meet with your personally on your return stay to the Lyrath Estate Hotel.