From the minute we turned off the main road into the driveway of the Lyrath Estate, we know something special awaited us. The location is simply superb amid the rolling countryside, with so much open space making up the vast grounds of the hotel. And the building itself fits happy into this grand setting, where it seems no expense has been spared to ensure top notch interior design, with only luxury furnishings to be found throughout. Walking through the opulent foyer we truly did feel like royalty!
The standard of the rooms is very high, with the inoffensive décor adding a feel of timeless elegance to them. All the 5* touches are catered for, and we were particularly impressed by the turndown service which not only turned down the duvet, but left us slippers at each side of the bed, truffles on the pillows, a fresh bottle of water each & most impressively of all dimmed the lights and set some gentle music playing….all very romantic. The huge bathroom was the other highlight - a very contemporary affair with the most fantastic walk in shower.
The staff were great, from the doorman to the waitress at breakfast our every need was taken care of. The porter who brought our bags to the room provided an excellent run through of the room for us, which was a useful exercise. And we have to mention the receptionist who recommended her favourite Kilkenny restaurant to us. She booked us a cab and even drew us a small map to make sure we’d find it. We had a fantastic night there, and can’t thank her enough for telling us about the place.
Unfortunately during our visit to Oasis spa the infinity pool was closed for maintenance, which was a real shame. I found it peculiar that this wasn’t pointed out to us at the time of booking, but I’ll give them to benefit of the doubt and assume that it wasn’t a scheduled maintenance. Otherwise though it was a lovely experience and our massages were of a very high quality. We both found the spa staff to be well trained and very pleasant & conversational. I will say however that the thermal area of the spa was considerably smaller than those in other 5 star hotels we’ve stayed in, but as I didn’t get to use it I can’t comment as to whether it’s as effective or not.
The swimming pool in the Lyrath is a nice size, and due to the height of the glass windows at its end it almost seems you are going to end up swimming into the outdoors when heading in that direction, a nifty illusion. If that makes no sense I’m sorry, but you’ll see what I mean when you get there! Upon entering the pool area we received a Lyrath pool bag containing not just a towel, but also a swimming hat and shampoo & conditioner. Very convenient. One thing to note though is that the changing rooms are unusually small. There wouldn’t want to be more than 5 or 6 people in them at once. Excellent steam room & jacuzzi.
Tuppers bar is set in a section of the old estate house, which is an interesting traditional area to contrast the rest of the hotel with. Big comfy chairs, an open fire & stonework walls all add to the traditional homely feel. The food is unfaultable, and drinks menu extensive, if a bit on the pricy side.
During our time in the Lyrath we also took a small walk around some of the grounds, following a route advised by the porter. For those interested in something a little more intense there is a guide book available outlining some of the more adventurous routes available. The grounds really are that big that a guidebook would be a must have if one were to venture further afield! And a tip – if it’s any way wet outdoors make sure to wear boots that you’re not afraid to get muddy.
Overall then we felt that we definitely received the full 5* treatment during our time at the Lyrath, and in fact this is possibly the best hotel we’ve stayed in, in the republic. I have noticed a lot of criticism for La Perla restaurant in other reviews, but as we didn’t dine there I can’t speculate. The breakfast we ate in the restaurant was fantastic though, with a great variety of option available for ordering specially made items included in the standard B&B price, as well as the buffet of course. We happened to be there on a Tuesday night when both the X-bar and Yindees are closed, which was a disappointment, but the hotel was of such a high standard that we didn’t let this in any way set us back. One of our party happens to work in one of the most renowned 5* hotels in Killarney. She was equally as impressed as we were, and commented that it was easy to see that the owners were “not afraid to spend money” to make the Lyrath experience as good as it can be. To sum up we couldn’t recommend this hotel enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on 170 acres of parkland, Lyrath Estate Hotel is only 5 minutes from Kilkenny City. It offers luxurious air-conditioned rooms, an award winning spa, an outdoor infinity pool, and a selection of bars and restaurants. Guests can enjoy a peaceful night's sleep at Lyrath Estate Hotel as rooms are soundproofed with each having beautiful views overlooking the estate with not a car in sight. Each guest bedroom includes complimentary Wi-Fi and a 43 inch flat screen television. The Oasis Health Club boasts a gym, steam room, swimming pool and Jacuzzi. The Oasis Spa offers a thermal suite, sauna and steam room with a range of indulgent treatments, with advance booking recommended. Contemporary Irish cuisine is on the menu at La Perla restaurant using the finest local ingredients. Tupper's is a traditional Irish bar located at the heart of the hotel where you can enjoy a quiet drink & delicious bar food. Yindee's serves authentic oriental food whilst there is a range of beverages available at the sophisticated X Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa & Convention Centre Hotel Kilkenny
- Lyrath Estate Hotel, Spa And Convention Centre
- Lyrath Hotel Kilkenny
- Lyrath Estate Kilkenny
- Lyrath Estate Hotel Convention Centre