“Great Property”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great Property”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Highly recommend Lyrath Estate if you are going to be in Kilkenny. The grounds are really beautiful. There are acres and acres to explore. There are bikes you can use or you can take a stroll. They also have a gym facility and two good restaurants.

Of real note was the service. We had a room. In the old section of the hotel. Very quaint and special. Unfortunately there was no air conditioning and it was unseasonably hot. The hotel manager was able to quickly find us another room in the newer wing of the hotel and get us moved. The room was very comfortable.

Room Tip: The original part of the hotel is very quaint. May get hot in the summer as no air conditioning in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Travellingglobal,

Thank you for the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am very proud of the team here at Lyrath – they make all the difference to every guests stay offering a relaxed friendly and genuine hospitality. It pleases me to hear the service that was provided to you on this matter.

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We returned to the Lyrath for a family stay, we loved it. As it's summertime, and there are daily activities held, the kids had a ball. We had stayed before and had some issues but after contacting the hotel, and dealing with Hugh, the Guest Services Manager all issues had been addressed and the service provided was excellent, we are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Walshj16
Dear Walshj16,

It is very rewarding to know that your recent experience matched your expectation of the Lyrath Estate hotel. Hugh is a great asset to our team and he has asked me to pass on his personal thanks to you.

I do hope that I will be able to meet with you personally the next time you come to visit us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at the Lyrath for 2 nights this week. Check in very efficient and friendly. Bar food lovely, very generous portions. Room very comfortable. Food very tasty in Yindees restaurant. Small gripe here, instead of placing a jug of water on the table, manager came with bottled water at €4.90 a bottle. Expensive.
X bar lovely, live music Friday night, very nice. Bar staff here very friendly and efficient, Seamus deserving a special mention.
Breakfast again as usual very high standard. Plenty of staff. This is my third time visiting the Lyrath and I treated my parents this time and they were very impressed. Thanks again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Junieruby
Dear Junieruby,

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about the service and facilities here at the Hotel along with your words of praise which are very kind indeed. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and they are very pleased that you appreciate their service so much. Seamus has asked me to pass on his personal thanks to you.

Cork
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at The Lyrath last May for my friend's hen and I have to say it was 5 star!

As soon as you walk into the reception you are welcomed very warmly by a very friendly man. The reception staff were friendly and efficient in organising your check in.

The room we were in was comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathroom was 5 star with it luxury shower and modern bath. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were top quality.

The hotel was very busy as you can imagine in May with Communions, hen, birthdays etc.. but in regards to service you wouldn't have noticed this because they had the right amount of staff required to cater for the numbers staying at the hotel. We had afternoon tea which was very tasty, I would highly recommend the restaurant for a dinner. The food was amazing and considering we received an early bird hen package that had a set menu the selection was very good. Not the usual cheaper limited options that you would get in other places in an early bird.

The breakfast food and service was again not a disappointment. With a great selection and ample staffing so there was no waiting around to be seated. My only regret is that I booked a spa treatment to early and didn't get to fully enjoy the breakfast.

The Spa was fabulous and offered great May/June deals. I was 24 weeks pregnant at the time but they tailored my treatment to suit my condition which I was impressed by because some places would push the pregnancy packages which can be very expensive. Well worth checking out.

The only complaint I would have about the hotel was there was a smell when we first arrived to our room on the 2nd floor. I think it was something to do with the plumbing when everyone was having their showers. I am not sure if it was an temporary problem as housekeeping did have some kind of machines in the hallways but it was a little off putting but like I say it was only there morning and early afternoon.

Overall the stay in the hotel was an experience that I hope to have again. I would love to return with my husband or take my mum/sister away for a girlie weekend. It is definitely a 5 star hotel but without it being pretentious. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank CorkSudee
Dear Corksudee,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time out to share your experiences with us. on behalf of all my staff and I, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you and your family back to the Lyrath Estate Hotel for another wonderful stay.

ireland
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Lyrath Estate on the 19th of July 2014. This is my second time staying here. It's truly an amazing place. The sense of pure relaxation you get from the minute you enter the estate and drive up to the house. The staff are very friendly and are very helpful. Our room was beautiful 437 spacious with a beautiful view over looking the ponds and estate.
My husband joined me on this occasion so I was dying to see what he thought. He loved it!! Thank god! I have made it a pact with myself that I will try and visit once if not twice a year from now on. I did not use the spa or leisure facilities this time round but I have had the pleasure before of the treatments and I will avail next time!!
Food is fab! Something for everyone. Thank you for such a lovely weekend at a time in my personal life when I most needed a lift! I look forward to returning again soon!!
Keep up the fantastic work that all the staff do to make this hotel a very beautiful place to stay!!
Caroline

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank cazod
Dear cazod,

I cannot describe to you what a pleasure it was to read your review. Let me thank you sincerely for sharing your wonderful experiences with us.

I think our location offers the best of both worlds, close enough to the vibrant town centre of Kilkenny, yet far enough away to afford complete peace and tranquillity set amidst stunning estate grounds.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for an anniversary and we were treated so well. There was flowers and prosecco waiting in the room and it was very special. The room was clean and spacious, and bed was comfy. The spa is nice though it is small, our massages were good, I think it's luck of draw with therapists experience, we had similar treatments but huge difference in skill and therapy. The hotel receptionists are very friendly and prompt with 5 star service.

The only bad point was the breakfast experience.. It's like a motorway service station.. The breakfast food is nice tho it is chaotic atmosphere... Why don't the waiters bring toast to people or take an order of eggs Benedict or porridge .. Most 5 star hotels have that as a minimum service.. Having to que for slices of toast and other foods wasn't that relaxing. Very busy but the waiters looked very harassed which shouldn't be obvious.. Overall the hotel is very nice and we will be back... Maybe breakfast in bed in future!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Loveluxury2013
Dear Loveluxury2013,

I am also thrilled to read that you found the reception staff friendly and attentive. I have always said that the staff are the greatest asset that the hotel has and they take great pride in the work that they do year in and out to welcome all our guests and sure they have a pleasant stay.

As regards our breakfast service we offer a wide range of different foods both hot and cold. We have a menu that is available for all guests to order for including eggs and porridge and I apologise this was not brought to your attention. I would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the standard of our service at Lyrath Estate Hotel, and I do apologise sincerely for the inconvenience caused.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel for more prosecco and flowers in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Went for 2 nights june bank holiday weekend 2013 Poor experience. Price for accessing the spa area was extra weren't told this till we were in our robes and all ready for a dip in tranquillity think it was about 60 euro each. I never mind paying for treatments but a fee for entry, unacceptable! considering the rate for weekend was a 5* one. Our room was located on a corridor in the middle of wedding guest rooms and never informed of this, only to be woken to a ruckus at 3 am that continued till about 6 am. Prawn cesar salad that was very poor. The Rose Garden had a few spindly sparce twigs . The flower bed at the entrance, the roundabout one was overcome with weeds. On exiting I nicely highlighted my few concerns the manager was subsequently called by the lady at the front desk. He proceeded to apologise and insisted on getting my email address and would be in contact, to date no word. In summary it was okay but not of 5* standard.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Geraldine G
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Geraldine G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your previous visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes