“Lovely hotel and grounds”
Review of Lyrath Estate

Lyrath Estate
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with lovely grounds surrounding it. Rooms were comfortable and clean, and the staff was pleasant. Spent time at the bar after dinner and the staff was very accommodating. We would definitely stay at the Lyrath again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Annissa G,

Thank you for the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate Hotel in the not so distant future.

Iain Gray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,552)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Only back from 2 day stay(my wife,child (7),and three others).great hotel close to killkenny not to far from Dublin.kids club was great my son had a great time and that left time for the adults to chill out,and we did.The staf were very polite nothing was a problem from bar to the kids club staff.
There was one or two things I could moan about...but won't,I had my say on check out.
It was my wife's 40th treat and she enjoyed it,the food in la perla was lovely there other restaurant is Thai and no complaints,even the bar food was good.
The hotel is old and new which works,yes it needs some TLC but simply solved.
The spa is nice but 15 euro is a bit much,surly 5 is enough saunas and steam rooms are a convenience not a luxury in most hotels,I know there's the infiniti pool and it's nice but 5 euro as said is enough as your staying at the hotel.
The ground are lovely and on a nice day there's a play area for the kids so the adults can have a cold beer and keep an eye on them.
And just a taught music for an hour or two in the bar or lobby midweek.

Room Tip: Our room was standard and a good size at that,207,
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2014

Dear Derekm226.

I do hope we have the honour of welcoming you back again for another break and if I can be of any further assistance in the meantime please don't hesitate to contact me at gm@lyrath.com

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Great 3 day stay with my wife and 5 year old boy
A good 5 star resort without being over fussy.Good kids club and great food in the restaurants
Friendly staff and good facilities add up to make the perfect spot for a short break in Ireland
Would definitely come back!

Stayed: August 2014
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2014

Dear Liam S,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences of a recent stay here with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. What a pleasure it was to read your kind words and a great boost has been given to all the team here.

I am thrilled to read you found the services, facilities and team of the highest standard.I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and to know that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you very much indeed for your kind recommendation of our hotel.

I do hope that I will be able to meet with you and your family personally the next time you come to visit us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

First time to stay here and while I enjoyed the stay I was a little disappointed to be honest. Having recently stayed in Carton House and Brooklodge I was expecting more from a 5*. Most staff are very helpful and friendly while others need a little extra training in the art of hospitality particularly one or two at the reception desk. The grounds are very nice, however there were empty glasses and some rubbish lying around outside which is very tacky for any hotel.

Rooms: There were no glasses for the bottled water unless you want to use the ones from the bathroom, no dvd or radio, better selection of herbal tea would be appreciated, towels flimsy with no proper bath towel, no face cloths. Overall room was spacious and comfortable bathrobes and slippers for myself and kids was a plus.

Food: Breakfast was nice enough but ordinary, small things like display let it down felt a bit like a canteen at times (bread displayed in an awful manner and butter sachets thrown in a bow) Staff at breakfast were excellent and made it a pleasure to eat there. Ate in Tubbers Bar and must say the waiter was exceptional food was good and reasonably priced. Cookies and milk at bedtime for kids is a real treat and they loved it.

Facilities: Pool is fine for kids but not up to scratch for adults. Having to pay extra to use spa pool leaves a very sour taste so I refrained. Kids loved being able to wear their bathrobes to pool, kids club was good as were the bicycles, games room etc we didn't move from the hotel for 2 days which is saying something.

Overall a good hotel and very relaxing however I couldn't honestly say it is 5* quality almost there but some attention to detail required.

1  Thank Rhona B
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When I first heard we were going to a child friendly hotel ... it put shivers down my spine. I had visions of lots of forced activities and a sort of "hi di hi campers" hell ... but I was so so wrong.
Lyrath House is a wonderfully charming old estate house drenched in history. The Old house itself and the 170 acre estate are simply stunning. For those interested, the history of the estate and especially the design of the house are well worth reading up on.
I'm genuinely at a loss to describe how good this place is ... it walks a very fine line - while delivering on plenty for parents - outstanding service, quality food and drink, several bars, several restaurants, swimming pool, spa, health centre, walking trails, nearby fishing ... it also keep your children happy with a games room, fuzeball, table tennis, board games etc, and a by appointment "games room" for video games aged children - featuring a selection of consoles (PS and xbox) , not to mention a private cinema (myself and my eldest had a private viewing of Robots), did I mention a kids turn down service, mini bath robes and a hot chocolate (with marshmallows) at bedtime.
Every member of staff I interacted with, acted professionally, providing crayons before we even thought about it (the kids menus in the bar are both a colouring book and an introduction to the hotel), constantly asking if there was anything else they could do ... and all with an enthusiastic smile (despite how busy they were). The concierge engaged us a few times helpfully suggesting activities that may be of interest. Bear in mind - all this is 10 minutes drive from Kilkenny city, the Castle and all the pubs and restaurants. Not to mention a close drive to Castlecomer discovery park with zip line tree walks and Dunmore Cave and it's 1000 year old viking battle stories.
I'm hard pressed to find any negatives here at all - The Pool changing rooms are a tad small and as a "recovering wine bore" I would have preferred a larger wine selection to go with the superb food menu... but I moan about that about everywhere I go and to be fair the Jerome Quiot Réserve Des Boisselets Châteauneuf-du-Pape was "really outstanding".
This is a wonderful hotel. The staff are a true credit to the place. I'm already planning my return.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

On arrival we were given an upgrade to a double club room on the fourth floor. This was a large very bright room with a view over the lake and grounds. The bed was large and comfortable , the room was well equipped and quiet.
This seems to be a real family friendly hotel with bicycles , games equipment and activities to suit all ages .The pool is small and the changing areas are limited with lockers that you can't lock. The pool area facilities appear inadequate in comparison to the rest of the hotel.
Breakfast was served in La Perla restaurant and despite being very busy all of the staff were courteous, friendly and helpful especially the lady from Limerick who always greeted everyone with a smile .As another reviewer commented the staff appear to be enjoying their work and nothing was too much trouble .The hotel is situated in lovely grounds and is convenient to Kilkenny which is a delight to visit with lots to do and see .

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake and on the upper floors would be best
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dustylin
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2014

Dear dustylin,

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Lyrath Estate Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We arrived late on a rainy summers evening to be greeted by warm & friendly staff at reception. I have attended weddings at The Lyrath but hadn't stayed before. While this was a short stay of just one night, I will definitely be back. The hotel & grounds are beautiful, every staff member gives you their full attention in a friendly, discreet & efficient way. We had a beautiful room which was an oasis of calm, I heard no noise from the corridor or adjoining rooms at any point. The room had so many little touches eg. chocolates on the pillow, a do not disturb button, fabulous pillows. I ordered breakfast to be sent to the room, a phone call to the room to say breakfast was on the way was a good idea, which I appreciated. It is the best breakfast I have ever had sent to my room, sometimes you feel you are missing out if you do not go to the dining room for breakfast, not in this case. Esther delivered breakfast in a professional & friendly manner. Hugh took care of check out & was a pleasure to deal with, he went beyond the call of duty, so pleasant & helpful. We will certainly return as this hotel is a gem. Thank you to the staff for making our stay so relaxing & enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear so400,

Thank you for taking time to share your experiences with us following a recent stay in the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

I was delighted to read you found the service, food, staff and facilities all of the highest standard throughout the hotel.

I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the estate, the staff still proves to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and hard work are unrivalled and they really are a major contributor to the success of the hotel.

I do hope to meet with you personally upon your return visit to us.