“Beautiful, family friendly hotel”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just back from a one night stay at this beautiful 5 star hotel with my wife and two children(4 &1). From the moment we arrived all the staff made us feel welcome & were very friendly. We were upgraded to an executive room which had loads of space for rollaway bed & cot for the kids. We had lunch in Tupper's bar & had dinner in Yindees restaurant, food was top class and staff were excellent. We had breakfast in La Perla, buffet style with huge choice. There is a kids club for over 4's and also loads to do on the grounds (swimming, biking, walks etc). Overall we had a wonderful experience and will definitely be returning for more stays here.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am not one to usually write on here, in fact this is my first ever review but given the circumstances i feel i have to. Myself and my partner stayed here a couple of weeks back as a treat for his birthday. As he works most weekends i wanted the one weekend that we had together to be special so i booked the Lyrath hoping for luxury and relaxation as promised! To make sure we enjoyed it to the full i had booked us in for a package which included 1 nights bnb, a 4 course meal, a 30 min spa treatment and €15 lunch voucher all pre-paid on arrival, bliss. Or so you'd think, Firstly seeing as it was a rare occasion where i was treating him i did not want him to know the price, i rang the hotel days before our arrival asking them if they could put a note of some sort so the price is not said in front of my partner and just ask for my card, the lady on the phone reassured me this would not be a problem. I had to ring back 2 more times to book in for our spa treatment and restaurant reservation which i should have been asked about when first making the booking given the package i had went for! I reminded them about my request to keep the price secret during both these phone calls and was reassured again it would not be a problem. On arrival the first thing that was said to me was the price in front of my partner who immediately wanted to pay which as you can imagine was infuriating as i knew that would be his reaction and is exactly why i rang and reiterated my request to not let it be said, I paid with my card and was given a key and no receipt, in my annoyed state i didn't even realize. I shortly got over that, the rooms were nice but not in my opinion 5 star given the 5 star prices, And there was damp behind the bedside locker nearest the window! Our dinner was lovely even though there wasn't an awful lot to choose from the menu, but what we got was lovely. For breakfast we opted for room service which was fab and a real treat. We then checked out of our room and headed for the spa.. this was the worst part!! On arrival the lady at the front desk asked us how we were paying, 'cash or card?' I explained that it was already paid for in our package, but in fairness to her it wasn't on her computer system. After ringing down to the front desk (the people who took the payment and never issued a receipt to me) they also said i hadn't paid for it they had no record. After a lot of coming and going by the girl at the spa desk who got the brunt of my anger, she finally went direct to reservations who confirmed eventually that it had been paid for. This is not good enough it was supposed to be a relaxing weekend and paying for extras to make sure of it, you expect professionalism. I was then told the manager wanted to speak with me but to go for my massage first (to calm me down maybe) the last thing i was in the mood for was a massage after the way i had been treated. All that aside the massage was lovely. I then came up after awhile and myself and my partner headed for the bar to get our lunch before leaving, when we got there i explained that i had a €15 voucher for lunch and was told i should have been given it when i had paid at arrival. I left my partner to go deal with it at this stage as i had enough of the poor service and was fit to crack up. After coming back he had the manager with him, i explained everything to him and he did apologize and as reimbursement offered us lunch on him, in a crowded room i was wary not to make a scene and accepted. Our lunch came to €19, taken our €15 voucher away from this we were reimbursed €4 !! I can safely say it was the most disappointed i have ever been by a hotel in my life and it was purely down to diabolical organisation and service!! The front desk were a disgrace and it is a long way from the luxurious, relaxing break we had hoped for!! Very very disappointing!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eimearfitzgerald
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Dear eimearfitzgerald,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had the pleasure of spending one night in Lyrath recently. I have to say, though I have only experienced a few 5 star hotels, this was the best so far.
Helped also by the fact that we were give an upgrade to a suite on arrival.
The suite was really nice, consisting of 2 spacious, comfortable and bright areas, looking out over the estate.
The service and quality of food was excellent all round.

In all honesty I could not in any way fault this establishment. It was a memorable, albeit too short stay.

Room Tip: try a suite, you won't be disappointed, though I'm quite sure the rooms are all excellent to...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Back down for the night and as always the staff were great and make you feel comfortable.

Had a great lunch in Tuppers Bar and had dinner in Yindiees followed by some after dinner drinks in the bar.

Great room also and the breakfast in bed was a good call also. Got a call to say breakfast is on the way from kitchen so it was nice and hot.

Will be back again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed with a friend for much needed break. The whole experience was amazing. The room was spotless, spa and facilities incredible and the staff were fantastic. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Hotelstay12,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences of a recent stay here with us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. What a pleasure it was to read your kind words and a great boost has been given to all the team here.

I am thrilled to read you found the services, facilities and team of the highest standard.I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and to know that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you very much indeed for your kind recommendation of our hotel.

I do hope that I will be able to meet with you personally the next time you come to visit us at the Lyrath Estate Hotel.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Spent my birthday at the Lyrath Estate Hotel. The grounds and hotel are stunning. The staff bent over backwards when I made any request. The room itself was really impressive, particularly the bathroom which felt like a mini spa. The breakfast was excellent, way above and beyond what you would generally except. Pancakes, eggs benedict were available also. The only fault I have was the quality of the wifi. But, I intend to return and try the spa and cinema very soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul B

Dear 268Paulb1,

Thank you for the lovely and comprehensive review following your recent stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the hotel, the staff still proves to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. It gives me great pleasure to know that our team were able to facilitate your requests. I am also thrilled to hear you enjoyed the beautiful grounds, facilities & rooms, and our marvellous breakfast which we receive much praise for.

Again to conclude thank you again, for sharing your experiences with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future. perhaps before your next birthday.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here over the Easter break with our 5 year old and 3 month old baby. I found the reception staff and manager in the restaurant unhelpful however the room service staff were very good. Our 5 yr old attended the kids camp but the extra charge for the evening camp was a bit mean given the cost of the stay. Although the hot milk and cookies delivered to the room each evening for children is a nice touch.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Carol T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following your visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny over Easter.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes