“Total relaxation”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Roscrea, Ireland
“Total relaxation”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The lyrath hotel is the perfect spot to go for a nice relaxing break, it's situated in beautiful grounds for strolling around , the staff are all so friendly and helpful all the food from breakfast to afternoon tea to dinner was beautiful . It's the perfect place to bring children on a break they have great entertainment for children and still you don't ever feel like this place is full of kids. The spa is heavenly , honestly so relaxing . Only a 5 min drive from the town . This was our second break here and we will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms lovely, all air conditioned.
2 Thank Pamela L
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
Dear Pamela L,

Thank you for the time you have taken in sharing your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to the Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the facilities, food and service to be excellent throughout. The team are always pleased to be recognised for excellent service and have asked to be associated with my thanks for your kind comments.

I do hope we have the honour of welcoming you back again for another perfect break.

Best Wishes,

Iain Gray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2014

During our Christmas break in 2013 we decided to go to Lyrath on our first break with out our daughter as my sister offered to come to our house and look after our daughter for the night, as this was our first time to leave her overnight we were both really looking for to it. I had heard lots of great reviews about the la perla restaurant and the spa in lyrath so we thought we would go there. We booked our room on line for bed and breakfast at a reasonable rate. We arrived in lyrath around 4 pm and there was a queue for check in, which was fine and expected at this time of the day. When it was our turn to check in I gave the receptionist our booking reference and she asked what name had I booked it in, I showed her a copy of our booking and I was asked to wait a minute. The receptionist then came back and asked to me take a seat and someone would be with me in a minute. After about 15-20 minutes the accommodation manager came out to speak to me as this point I know there was going to be a problem. The accommodation manager explained that they didn't have a room for us even though they had our booking and she asked if we could wait a while longer to see if she could find a room for us. It was getting quite late now so there was no chance we were going to be able to use the spa before dinner and as this for our first night away alone in a few years it was already ruined at this stage. The accommodation manager returned and offered us a room in another hotel which we declined as we had booked lyrath for the spa and the la perla restaurant which we were both really looking forward to. At this point the manager asked us to wait and have a drink while she looked again for another room. We did have a drink and waited but after over an hour we decided to go home at which point the manager said a room had just become available but we explained that our night had been ruined at this point, no spa and not must time left to get ready for dinner. The accommodation asked to Rebook for another night and when we were doing this to contact her directly, which we said we would do. Although we have not managed to get an over night babysitter since. But my reason for this review was that at no point after our attempted check in to lyrath have we received a follow up call or email to apologise for the mix up, this to me is a simple thing to do especially as the hotel had our booking but no room for us. We are so disappointed

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nanchang2010
Iain G, General Manager at Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Nanchang2010,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your experience were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Spent two great nights in this hotel in a regular double room. There wasn't anything overly spectacular about the room or the decor but we were in a ground level room so we had a little patio and double doors leading out on to the beautiful grounds which was a nice touch. The shower was lovely though - I love a good shower! The reception area and the restaurants are lovely and well decorated. We visited the hotel leisure centre and all the staff were very friendly. The pool/jacuzzi/steam room area was small enough but very family friendly. Lots of kids having a great time and comfy seats on the side of the pool for parents etc. If you are visiting as a couple I would highly recommend visiting the thermal suite and the Oasis spa. This is generally a kid free zone with a more romantic vibe. It has an infinity pool with a view of the countryside complete with spa jets, steam room and sauna. You will also be given big fluffy dressing gowns. We had a few treatments in the couples rooms. We went to the Rasul mud chamber which was a lot of fun and left our skin feeling really smooth. Then we finished our trip to the spa with a massage. The girls who work there were very nice also.

Breakfast is buffet style and tastes lovely. We had a full Irish and there's even pancakes and syrup. The waiting staff are very friendly and really make an effort to talk to all the guests and give each person special treatment. I tried to take my tea back to my room and one of the waiters spotted me and offered to make me a takeaway tea.

When we left I forgot one of my dresses and my phone charger - I called the hotel and they were very nice about it, found my lost items and had them posted out to me within the week.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms with a patio are lovely
4 Thank Jacqueline H
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I think this is an excellent option for staying in Kilkenny. Its definitely upmarket, relaxing and luxurious, and you are unlikely to have gangs of drunken hens and stags.

Not quite as good as other 5 star hotels I have stayed at, but its a very good 4 star in my opinion. I think its under NAMA control. The upside of this is prices were excellent value, but I think the maintenance/cleaning is not as good as it should be, e.g. looked like the exterior windows had not been cleaned in some time. The bedroom and bathroom were great, though (see other travellers photos) and the reception, bar, restaurants were really nice, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

There was a wedding there when we stayed and its definitely an impressive venue to host an celebration like that.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Just back from a one night stay at this beautiful 5 star hotel with my wife and two children(4 &1). From the moment we arrived all the staff made us feel welcome & were very friendly. We were upgraded to an executive room which had loads of space for rollaway bed & cot for the kids. We had lunch in Tupper's bar & had dinner in Yindees restaurant, food was top class and staff were excellent. We had breakfast in La Perla, buffet style with huge choice. There is a kids club for over 4's and also loads to do on the grounds (swimming, biking, walks etc). Overall we had a wonderful experience and will definitely be returning for more stays here.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am not one to usually write on here, in fact this is my first ever review but given the circumstances i feel i have to. Myself and my partner stayed here a couple of weeks back as a treat for his birthday. As he works most weekends i wanted the one weekend that we had together to be special so i booked the Lyrath hoping for luxury and relaxation as promised! To make sure we enjoyed it to the full i had booked us in for a package which included 1 nights bnb, a 4 course meal, a 30 min spa treatment and €15 lunch voucher all pre-paid on arrival, bliss. Or so you'd think, Firstly seeing as it was a rare occasion where i was treating him i did not want him to know the price, i rang the hotel days before our arrival asking them if they could put a note of some sort so the price is not said in front of my partner and just ask for my card, the lady on the phone reassured me this would not be a problem. I had to ring back 2 more times to book in for our spa treatment and restaurant reservation which i should have been asked about when first making the booking given the package i had went for! I reminded them about my request to keep the price secret during both these phone calls and was reassured again it would not be a problem. On arrival the first thing that was said to me was the price in front of my partner who immediately wanted to pay which as you can imagine was infuriating as i knew that would be his reaction and is exactly why i rang and reiterated my request to not let it be said, I paid with my card and was given a key and no receipt, in my annoyed state i didn't even realize. I shortly got over that, the rooms were nice but not in my opinion 5 star given the 5 star prices, And there was damp behind the bedside locker nearest the window! Our dinner was lovely even though there wasn't an awful lot to choose from the menu, but what we got was lovely. For breakfast we opted for room service which was fab and a real treat. We then checked out of our room and headed for the spa.. this was the worst part!! On arrival the lady at the front desk asked us how we were paying, 'cash or card?' I explained that it was already paid for in our package, but in fairness to her it wasn't on her computer system. After ringing down to the front desk (the people who took the payment and never issued a receipt to me) they also said i hadn't paid for it they had no record. After a lot of coming and going by the girl at the spa desk who got the brunt of my anger, she finally went direct to reservations who confirmed eventually that it had been paid for. This is not good enough it was supposed to be a relaxing weekend and paying for extras to make sure of it, you expect professionalism. I was then told the manager wanted to speak with me but to go for my massage first (to calm me down maybe) the last thing i was in the mood for was a massage after the way i had been treated. All that aside the massage was lovely. I then came up after awhile and myself and my partner headed for the bar to get our lunch before leaving, when we got there i explained that i had a €15 voucher for lunch and was told i should have been given it when i had paid at arrival. I left my partner to go deal with it at this stage as i had enough of the poor service and was fit to crack up. After coming back he had the manager with him, i explained everything to him and he did apologize and as reimbursement offered us lunch on him, in a crowded room i was wary not to make a scene and accepted. Our lunch came to €19, taken our €15 voucher away from this we were reimbursed €4 !! I can safely say it was the most disappointed i have ever been by a hotel in my life and it was purely down to diabolical organisation and service!! The front desk were a disgrace and it is a long way from the luxurious, relaxing break we had hoped for!! Very very disappointing!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eimearfitzgerald
Dear eimearfitzgerald,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip Advisor, following a recent visit to Lyrath Estate Hotel Kilkenny.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were not entirely to your satisfaction and I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your feedback in more detail.

Please could you share your contact details with me, gm@lyrath.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best Wishes

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had the pleasure of spending one night in Lyrath recently. I have to say, though I have only experienced a few 5 star hotels, this was the best so far.
Helped also by the fact that we were give an upgrade to a suite on arrival.
The suite was really nice, consisting of 2 spacious, comfortable and bright areas, looking out over the estate.
The service and quality of food was excellent all round.

In all honesty I could not in any way fault this establishment. It was a memorable, albeit too short stay.

Room Tip: try a suite, you won't be disappointed, though I'm quite sure the rooms are all excellent to...