“5 star service, 4 star rooms and 3 star spa”

Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Ireland
“5 star service, 4 star rooms and 3 star spa”
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I travelled with my spouse for a weekend trip away to Kilkenny, my first time in Kilkenny and have to say loved the city, great Restaurants and Bars and very friendly staff in all Bars and Rests, top Class. I have to say Lyrath House is in a beautiful Location with fabulous grounds all around it and the staff in the hotel were friendly and efficient with excellent manner all round. Prices were expensive for food and drink but I guess that goes with the 5 star rating but overall I would have to say this hotel would be more of a 4 star hotel in many areas rather than a 5 star. The rooms were lovely but in fairness I do not think they were 5 star at all, I found the hotel to be draughty, perhaps because of the huge lobby and high ceilings that is inevitable. My biggest downfall was the Spa, I booked 2 treatments and was so disappointed with them, not good at all. I have had several treatments in different hotels and have to say the standard here was not great. Overall I enjoyed my stay at Lyrath House but I would not rush back there again, I would prefer to try a different hotel in Kilkenny. I'm sure many would disagree with me re: the above but that is just my own personal opinion.

2 Thank kate43ireland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend in november. we normally go for the cheaper options but decided to spash out this time, and we were really glad we did. firstly the service was top class, from the lovely porter at the door to the receptionist taking us straight to our room, we really felt like royalty. the building itselt is gorgeous, we spent a couple of hours just exploring all the old part of the hotel, as well as the spa and leisure center, which were all fantastic! the room was immaculate and cant fault a single thing. the only negative about the hotel was being wrongly charged for a box office movie. when i approached the reception about it i felt like i was being interrogated. we were out at dinner when the 'movie purchasing' occurred but i felt like the girl didnt believe me, when i suggested she look at the cameras to see us leaving she just pulled a face and didnt even apologise. Such a shame to have left on a bad note. watch out for this and check your bill before paying

2 Thank rachtbn88
Dublin
Reviewed 25 November 2009

Myself and my partner stayed here earlier in the year and really could not find fault with the Lyrath. From the Spa, to the room, to the staff, all excellent and what you would expect of a hotel of this calibre. The food in Yindees, La Perla and Tuppers was fantastic as was the room service. The cost of our stay, although expensive, was well worth it in my opinion as our stay was simply perfect. So much so that we are having our wedding reception here.
I'd fully recommend the Lyrath to couples and groups alike.
One tip is to book your restaurant reservations well in advance as they are extremely busy.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
cork
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The hotel is set in a beautiful location with plenty of space around it. The lack of road noise from the Dublin road sets the tone for the hotel/spa. The reception you receive is very good and efficent. The hotel seems bright and smells of new furnishings as you enter and are escorted to your room. The room itself was basic for an executive room and the carpet stained. The bathroom was excellent and roomy. The staff are friendly but set rigidly in what they can do. I stopped a cleaning lady and asked for a bottle of water after coming from the pool. I was told I couldn't have one but it would be put in my room.On the pool, it's small with wasn't a problem but the changing rooms for the pool/gym were way too small. Just enough space for two people to change! The restaurant was of good standard and the food good. However we asked for a window seat when after being seated for dinner and were told it was not available even though it was free for an hour after we started.
Overall impressions of the hotel were ok but not really worth the money we spent there. Drinks are really expensive. I won't be returning as better value can be got elsewhere.

3 Thank WestCork3
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Myself & my wife held our wedding reception at the Lyrath in March 09 and we couldn't rate the hotel, staff, food and surroundings highly enough. Considering the high standard of the hotel and everything it offers, the cost of holding our reception there was very reasonable. The dedicated wedding coordinator really helped us through the process of selecting a menu, wine etc. and we really had nothing to worry about on ther day as all the arrangements were agreed in writing before the day and the staff - every one of them - really are top notch!! The only downsides to our day - there are always little things!!!! - were that wedding coordinator not being there on the day (there was a manager there however) and when settling the final bill, the manager conducted the transaction in the main hotel foyer over the piano. I felt a private consultation room would have been more inkeeping with the 5 star rating!! But, these are minor details - we have since been back for a long weekend and really do intend to visit agin. we absolutely love the place.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Stayed at the Lyrath for one night and it was one night too many.We arrived at 4.15pm only to be told our room wasnt ready.Check in is normally 3pm and God help us if we arrived at lunch time they wouldnt have been able to cope at all.Reception was busy checking in other guests from a wedding that was on there and we were left to our own devices.We werent told where we could get a cup of tea or a drink.Nobody offered to take our bags 5* I wouldnt give it a 3*.We approached the desk 15 minutes later only to be told our room still wasnt ready.I asked for someone to take my bag and we left and went into Kilkenny.We received a phone call at 5pm to say our room was ready.When we returned to the hotel 10 minutes later we found our bags in the middle of the lobby and nobody around!Great five star service!The only apology we got was from the doorman!

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank George_and_Mildred49
Ireland
Reviewed 8 November 2009

Amazing I think is the word I'd use. Everytginh was lovely- food, room, atmosphere, staff, I could not find fault with it. the oasis spa was glorious!! HA dtwo treatments and the therapist was very professional and accommodating. I would highly reccommend it and will def be back for a return visit! Nicest place i have stayed in. A little pricey but well worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends