“Great hotel great value”

Aspect Hotel Kilkenny
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
tipperary
“Great hotel great value”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Stayed at the Aspect Hote Kilkenny on a Saturday night as we were attending a wedding at another hotel in the city, where the rooms were nearly double the price of the aspect I was so glad we chose this hotel , friendly staff comfyy beds hot breakfast impressed with the toaster gave perfect toast first time not white or burned . as we were away without the kids asked for and recieved a late checkout I cuuld not have asked for more from a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thalassa3
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Thank you for your very kind comments on your recent stay with us at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Like so many people have commented we value our clients and we at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny always offer the best value in the market within kilkenny. Please do let all of your friends know of our existance as we would love to welcome them to the Hotel in the coming months. Remember we will be offering exceptional value right through out the Autumn/Winter so your next break may not be that far away.
Looking forward to welcomeing you back.
Clement Gleeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Czech first
Portarlington, Ireland
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed here with 3 friends. We had 2 twin rooms. We had booked the Sunday night on a special beddeal and decided to stay Saturday night too so I contacted the hotel - €130 per room for Saturday night. I think this is far too expensive for a 3 star hotel located outside the town so we decided not to book. I subsequently saw the hotel on supervalu breaks for €39pp for the Saturday night so we booked that. Alot of hassle to book this way but worth the savings. The hotel should look into the pricing though as I would not return and pay €130 for one night B&B in this hotel.
The hotel is nice, can be complicated to find, located in a retail park. Rooms are clean, bathroom small but functional. This is a hotel to stay in with friends or as a place to lay your head if you are going to an event/function. It is not a hotel for a romantic/relaxing break. Breakfast is ok although the setup means you must queue for some time to get your breakfast and when I asked for poached eggs I was told it would take 20mins in a way that indicated they did not want to fulfil the request....
The hotel was quiet and beds very comfortable although the pillows were horrible, so much so that I went to Dunnes and bought a pillow for my second nights stay.
We had dinner included in our Sunday night package, nice touch that we were given the option of having the meal on Saturday or Sunday. We opted for Sunday and due to a large group booking they had were given the option of 7pm or 8.30pm. We chose 8.30pm. The restaurant was busy with the large group when we arrived at 8.30pm although there were plenty of free tables. We were asked by the manager (?) to sit in the bar/lobby as they did not have a table for us????? I explained we had a reservation (I thought she thought we were walk ins) and was told they had a waiting list and would get to us as soon as possible. So we sat in the lobby and waitied......and waited.....after 20mins I approached the manager (?) again, she appeared very flustered and kept saying 'we are doing our best you know'. Eventually we were seated at a table beside the door in the dining area. We asked if we could move to a table beside the window but were told No that the order had already gone into the kitchen (so what? the dining area is not huge!!!!) and that the table indicated was already reserved for someone else (we were the last table to be served and to eat and nobody sat at that table all night-this left a sour taste in my mouth as there is no need to lie and we would have been much more comfortable at that table rather than one where everyone had to pass by, we felt like we were in the way sitting at the door!!!)
Food was great, I must admit my expectations were low after the wait and the table problem but they really outdid themselves and there was a great choice on the set menu. Service was fab also, very impressed.
We then asked reception to order a taxi for us, after waiting half an hour we again asked at reception for taxi and were assured it was on it's way. 15mins later and no taxi we asked again and receptionist called taxi company, company said taxi had not been ordered..................they sent one straight away.....................we were waiting for an hour!!!!
We eventually got into the town. Overall I would recommend this hotel only if price is right and I would avoid restaurant if there is a large tour group eating there (or eat earlier than them).
Pros - clean, quiet, excellent restaurant food, free parking.
Cons - price when booked direct with hotel, pillows, breakfast layout, flustered manager in restaurant, alot of hiccups on the Sunday night let this hotel down.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lollypops12
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny. I am delighted that you forund the overall experience to be good but I am very disappointed with the events that you seemed to have experience on Sunday night.
Firstly the delay in getting a table, our Kitchen is quite small and we do like to stagger tables entering the Restaurant so that your servce will not be disrupted but this was not explained to you. However I am delighted to hear that your food was very well presented and prepared as we do have an excellent reputation locally for the quality of our food, all of our food is cooked to order......its fresh. I will investigate as to why you did not get to move tables either. Our Manager on Sunday evening was actually Male and perhaps it was a waitress that you spoke to but I will follow this up internally this morning.
I am so sorry to hear that you had to wait almost 1 hour for a taxi as normally we have a taxi at the door in under 5 minutes.
With regards to the rate we charge, I can assure you that our rates will always represent the best value in the city on any day but rates change in line with demand but Aspect Hotel Kilkenny but we do remain the most competitive. I am happy to hear that you found our Hotel on SuperValu website for less but to avail of this you did have to do quite a bit of shopping to collect the points.
I do hope that you will come back to visit us again in the near future as we would love for you to experience the couple of items raised ironed out.
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This hotel was very good value for money - the rooms were very spacious with a lovely powerful shower! Staff were very helpful and friendly and there was absolutely no roadside noise in the room. The only downside was breakfast - we tried going at different times each morning but it was still very busy with little organisation and for some reason the food was always cold! But apart from that it was a lovely hotel and we would definitely stay there again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Thank you for your positive review of our Hotel, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a good break. It is great to hear that you enjoyed a quite stay, the hotel is very quiet by night allowing for a good nights sleep yet very close to the city centre.
I am sorry to hear that you found Breakfast to be cold, I will investigate this futher as this is far from our norm and i will have it rectified immediately. Again please accept my apologies and thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Cork
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The room was excellent - clean, spacious, comfortable 6" bed, good shower, Tea/Coffee facilities, Iron and Ironing board and safe.

We had an evening meal and the food was very good - way better than I expected - perfectly cooked tender streaks. Breakfast was also good with plenty of choice.

There is a small bar and lobby in the reception area that was fairly full. Complimentary newspapers available. The staff were friendly and courteous.

This is not a luxury hotel by any means but is a very good budget hotel. It is on the outskirts of the city in a business park and is not within walking distance of the city so a taxi may be required.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
Thank you for your review of our Hotel. I am delighted with your positive feedback and that you found Aspect Hotel Kilkenny to be of a good standard. Our staff and our food are always well received and we continually empower our staff to go beyond the normal expected service levels, we believe our standards will encourage repeat business. We would love to be able to welcome you back again in the future but in the mean time please tell your friends and Family about Aspect Hotel Kilkenny as we would love to welcome them also.
Thanks again for your valued business and hope to see you again in the near future.
kildare
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed in many hotels in kilkenny and I must admit Aspect Hotel Kilkenny by far beats any hotel in Kilkenny, I stayed there on the 30th July as I was attending a wedding in another hotel nearby and they were full on this day. We were greeted on arrival by the receptionist who was professional and friendly, and checked us in efficiently. The bedroom was immaculate with everything supplied in the room from tea,coffee, tv, ensuite bathroom etc. The beds were also comfortable and I had the best nights sleep.
The breakfast the following morning exceeded our expectations with cold buffet and hot breakfast available, the hot breakfast was very tasty, hot and was presented to the customer to a high standard. The staff are very helpful, obliging, friendly. I will definitely be back in the near future. Thanks for the lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 5 August 2011
Thank you for your positive feedback, much appreciate you taking the time to offer your views. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the Team at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny are delighted with your comments. We do strive to exceed our cusotmer expectations, our staff do like to go that extra mile to make sure that our guests experience is memorable. It is good that you had a good nights sleep, our special Hypnos beds are great for a good nights sleep. Please do let all of your friends know about Aspect Hotel Kilkenny as we would love to welcome you and your friends back to the Hotel. Please remember that as we are entering the Autumn season we will have many special offers available, so please keep an eye out for them.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel as it turned out to be a great little spot. Came here on my anniversary with my girlfriend and we had a great time. Room was beautiful, clean, great service and was located very close to Kilkenny town which was fantastic for going out!

1 Thank Adam_2kay11
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Hi Adam,

Thank you for taking time to give us your positive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny. We do stand over the level of service, value for money and our standards. Our location as you mentioned is close to the city which is ideal as it allows one to enjoy a nights rest without the disturbance of the street noise and nightlife spilling on to the street.
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us and I do hope that you will not wait for another year before you return to Aspect Hotel Kilkenny.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stay well clear of this place as when we arrived to an unfriendly reception our cards didnt work and only after about a dozen times back and forth to reception..left standing in the hallway..room was unpleasant ,fire alarm went off so many times at 3 in the morning ..in serious need of upgrading and staff comunication skills very poor..not value for money atall...faulty towers I would of prefering

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Thank you for your feedback but I very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny. Let me first apologise for the problems encountered with the keys to your room. Unfortunately the machine for cutting the keys started to give problems on Friday night and unfortunately as it was a Bank Holiday Weekend we were not able to get a replacement part, I can assure you that this was replaced first thing on Tuesday morning. With regards to the fire alarm going off at 3am we again do apologise but this was beyond our control. A guest in the Hotel released the a powder fire extuniguisher and as a result it set off the fire alarms. I can assure you that this guest was removed from the Hotel by the Gardai and they are pressing charges against this individual. However I know this is poor consolation to you on a weekend away. If you are planning a return trip to Kilkenny please do give me a call personally and i will be happy to look after you favourably upon your return. I can assure you this is far from our norm level of service and customer satisfaction.
056 7783100