“Kilkenny”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
T.H. IN
“Kilkenny”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Aspect Hotel is a converted Days Inn. We arrived before check in time but were given a room early which was fabulous as we were extremely tired after our trans-atlantic flight. The bed was a little stiff but not that bad. We were so tired that we had forgotten to exchange money. We ate at the hotel. The food was good. The rooms were clean and adequate. I can't say anything bad about the hotel Good stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s c
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback it is very much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny and remember the best value is always available on our own website and I am sure yo recognised it for yourself but Kilkenny was voted 9th friendliest city in the world but striving to be number 1 next year.
Clement Gleeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed 22 February 2014

stayed here with our groupon voucher - great staff - comfortable room, just outside of city center and easy to get around. staff gave directions to the castle and where to park. free wifi, coffee in room, later check out too!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your genuine feedback it is very much appreciated. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as do so many of our guests do. Please continue to tell your friends and family about us aswe would love to be able to remain very busy.
Looking froward to hearing from you.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Looks nice from the outside, and the lobby, but the rooms leave something to be desired. TV's are old tube style, and don't work half of the time. The safe was not working either. They even charged for nuts in the lobby bar! OMG!

1 Thank Checkers_Domino
Thank you for your recent feedback. I am sorry that you did not think much of our Hotel. Unfortunately the TV's were out of action for two days due to the worst strom that had just hit Ireland in a century so unfortunately that was beyond our control. I take it from your feedback that we were youf first stop in Ireland as chagring for nuts in a bar is normal practise in Ireland but they may be free in some of the five star properties but then you he paid for them really in your room price anyhow, its true that saying 'no such thing as a free lunch'.
I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip around Ireland and thank you for your feedback.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Aspect Hotel for one night. We arrived early and the receptionist was nice enough to accommodate us by giving us a room that was open despite the fact that our original room was not ready yet. We were thankful because we were tired from our flight.

The room was merely okay. It had two beds (we figured our original room had one), a bathroom with a sink and shower, a carpeted floor, an iron and iron-board, tea and coffee maker with instant tea, coffee, and milk, extra pillows, nightstands, a horizontal dresser, a television, and lastly windows facing a large field of grass.

What prevents our stay from getting a higher rating is that the room appeared rather outdated. Most of the colors in the room were a cigarette shade of brown. The television was old, a square relic, and the tea/coffee maker had peeling metal inside that seemed potentially dangerous if ingested. The room, and perhaps the entire hotel, would do well hiring an interior designer.

I would be hard press to recommend Aspect Hotel. It's not bad if you want only your basic needs met, but if you are looking for something more modern, you should look elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback. The first thing that came to mind when I read your review is did you actually stay with us or perhaps are you mixing ou Hotel up with another Hotel. To say that mostof the colors in the room was cigarete brown I am very surprised with. We offer over 80% of our rooms as non smoking and we pride ourselves as many of the reviews states the cleaniness of the Hotel. Our rooms are painted in a off white colour but it is well off brown and all of the bedrooms have been painted over teh past five months so I am sure you can understand my reason for the concern in mixing up our hotel with another propery. With regards to metal in the kettle we have had no feedback on that and I am sure you must have mentioned that whilst at the Hotel as that could hve serious consequences if injested. I an assure you that we do not have metal or did we have metal particules in ay kettle that was availabl for guests. We do pride ourselves on the service we offer and the cleaniness levels at the Hotel so I know with our tight controls this could not happen.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very noisy, dated, reaked of cigarettes, people coming and going at all times.

Staff was very polite and let us check-in very early which was a plus. Bar area was okay, enough for a pint. Overall average.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent feedback, I am disappointed to read that your room reaked of cigerette smoke, you must hav booked a smoking room in error and had youmntioned this to us we would ha moved you to a non smoking room give that 80% of the rooms are non smoking.
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I recently staying in the Aspect on the day/night of Hurricane Darwin, arriving into Kilkenny very shaken on a Wednesday night, thankful to arrive in once piece as Kilkenny was in a state of a County Emergency.

The Aspect is situated in a retail park and I had passed it many times, truthfully not giving it a great deal of thought......how wrong I was. I was concerned from recent Trip Advisor reviews about the parties, and references to hen and stag nights and when I telephoned to enquire was dealt with by Aisling in a most kind, helpful and above all honest manner. This alone was a major brownie. Aisling explained that w/e's are indeed eventful but midweek for the nature of my booking was most suitable as hotels as mixed guests of business travellers and recreational travellers. So because of this conversation I booked.

The Aspect was one of the few hotels on the night in question that had power, I was greeted my a lovely gentleman at Reception who seems to be manning a few posts that evening as staff and indeed guests struggled to get to the Aspect. My room was a large double room, looking towards the back of the hotel, tea/coffee, iron etc., and bathroom was very good indeed. TV was down due to signal but that was of little concern. I was shattered and headed downstairs for a bite to eat. The restaurant is a functional grill room and combines into the breakfast bar also. Word had spread that power was on so people started to flock at once - food was excellent. Hearty fare and very very welcome. I had the burger and a soft drink, and coffee. Then armed with a complimentary paper made my way back to my room and had possibly once of the best nights sleep ever...................yes ever. The bed was fantastic.

Morning and I was up for an early morning appointment in Kilkenny, breakfast was very good, and I was delighted to see mini danishes. Yum. Hot and Cold plates, very good veggies options. Self service and again Complimentary paper. As a solo traveller a lovely touch.

Went to settle my account, charming Receptionist this time no Aisling but Helen - the staff in the Aspect frankly win the award for multitasking like no other and put many higher rated hotels to shame.

Now then.............wait for it..............for this €47 per night. The best value to be found in Ireland.
Only minutes into Kilkenny and I wil be back to explore as whilst neogiating with the help of the Gardai and Civil Defence the previoius night in traffic I could see many new interesting shops and curios. It demands that I come back.

So here is the check list, stay mid week avoid w/e's, get a room to the back of the hotel and not over the kitchen entrance. This is budget hotel that punches way over its weight. Staff are quite something.

So go on .............what are you waiting for.

Room Tip: Midweek to avoid those hen and stag parties, back room away from the Kitchen entrance. Mention on b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your genuine feedback it is very much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us here at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny. Hurricane Darwin really did test all the structures locally but thankfully it only took our satelite dish off the building hence the loss of TV signal. I have passed on your kind comments to Aisling and Helen, they are two great ladies but to be honest all of the Team are employed for their genuine care for the guests experience. I have worked with The Brennan Brothers (At your Service - TV series) for four years and I do recognise that we can stand out way above the other hotels once we have the right Team in place, a team that cares and values their customers.
Please continue to spread the positive news about Aspect Hotel Kilkenny as we love to stay busy looking after our guests. We do hope to be able to welcome you back real soon as so much of our business is repeat customers.
Thank you for your business , its very much valued.
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The whole place was rather dated and really not very updated. However, the staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast was good. It is a little out of the way as it is on the fringe of Kilkenny so we had to drive into town and pay for parking since there is limited street parking. Otherwise, is was OK.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your recent feedback. I am surprised to read that you found the Hotel 'Dated' as we are continually investing in the property to keep it modern even though the Hotel is not even eight years old as yet. Our location is a little out from town but if you had stayed in town you would not be able to sleep from the crowds leaving the late bars and the night clubs, so our location is actually a big positive for those who had experienced a more central location.
Thank you for your business, its very much appreciated.