“Quite reasonable”

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kilkenny
Kokhav Yair
“Quite reasonable”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I found this hotel quite reasonable in every respect. I had a large double room although I was there just by myself. The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed good sleep and the only drawback occurred right before that when I wanted to watch TV, but the screen was so small that I had to sit on the edge of my bed in order to get close enough to see something. Breakfast was reasonable again, but no great choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yehuda70
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback we value all genuine feedback.
Clement Gleeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Czech first
kilkenny
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Visited your hotel last night,food service slow. Bar service worse ,impossible mess trying to pay for our food .Also it would be good to have some kind of entertainment for guests staying as town is too far .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we do value Genuine feedback. I believe given your profile states that you are from Kilkenny that you seemed to have been in for dinner and not a resident. However I have gone back through our reservations and we have not had people dining with us from ourside the Hotel and the Team working for the past number of days do not recognise you from your profile photo. As I said we do value genuine feedback. The feedback on our food is excellent and at this time of the year we do not accept
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

While I know this is a three star hotel, the first impression and lasting impression was one of disappointment. When you walk in the door the Reception/Lounge/Bar and Restaurant are basically all in the one room. Not a great first impression. Staff were friendly Room was clean (except for stains on net curtains) bed was big ( 6ft) and v comfy but bathroom was slightly bigger than what you have in a ferry cabin! Tiny sink half size narrow bath, my husband nearly slipped in the shower as the bath was so narrow! Old style TV worked but again it just said, meh.., short taxi ride to city centre about €8. Breakfast was disorganised chaos, went down at 10am they serve until 10.30 food was fine nothing to rave about but find your own table, ya no bother, but then cutlery missing... Back up to waitress ... Just effort after a night on the tiles! No water in the bedroom plastic cups in the bathroom alright but I wouldn't drink water from a bathroom tap at home let alone somewhere else. Small things could help this hotel be better, water in room, bigger bathroom, more organised breakfast. We paid €105 for double room with breakfast. To be honest I have stayed in much nicer places for less! On the upside Kilkenny nightlife was great

• Stayed August 2014
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your recent review and very sorry to read that you found it to be disappointing. We do use plastic disposable glasses in the rooms for guest safety as glass can on occasion be dropped and we do not want anyone standing on broken glass. We also use the plastic glasses prior to a programme been aired recently where the glasses in a hotel bedroom was been cleaned with the towels from a previous guest. Our plastic glasses are all individually wrapped so once used they are disposed of. Glad you found the Hotel to be clean and that your bed was comfortable as our beds are Hypnos top of the range King Koil beds.
Thanks for your feedback it is appreciated.
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel had a 4 star rating when I booked, but I fear it no longer meets those standards. The carpets are stretched so much they have bumps in them and some spots are dirty. Our bath had only one dispenser for soap...no shampoo...no conditioner... and something black along the tub caulk line. Tables and chairs were piled in the hallway and remained there for over 24 hours. The breakfast food was self-serve in a cafeteria line and kitchen workers dumped new batches of bacon or sausage on top of what was there already. This resulted in some of the meat being in the serving container for up to 3 hours. The manager, when asked about these concerns was rude. The hotel sits at the end of a business park so there are no restaurants or shops in walking distance. Traffic and parking lot noise is a constant. It's sad to see a hotel going down hill like this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side opposite the parking lot may be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon W
Thank you for your very kind review, I would like to point out an number of errors in your review firstly. We are a 3 star hotel since opening in 2006 and was never a four star property. I can assure you that no food was ever left on any buffet for 3 hours because if it was we would have had a major food poisoning incident. I can assure you that at no stage did you see this practise so why make such damming claims? I would welcome you to retract your unfounded claims as soon as possilbe and you can check with the Environment Health Officer in the area who will be happy to stand over the safe food practices at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival I had a fantastic welcome from the lady on reception, who couldn't have been friendlier. However, I was not offered the free drink voucher that I was due. I did receive this later when I came back to reception.

I found the room to be extremely hot and, as there was no air conditioning in the room, this made my stay very uncomfortable, to the point where I didn't get very much sleep. The window was open all night but this didn't help.

After not getting a lot of sleep, the next morning I was woken up by the housekeeping staff who based themselves outside my room and proceeded to shout along the corridor to their colleagues. All this despite me having the 'Do Not Disturb' sign hanging in my door.

Finally, the doors have a tendency to slam and through the early morning this was constant. All of these points added up to a very disappointing stay. On check out the gentleman on the desk didn't seem to be to bothered about speaking to me and was a million miles from the greeting I received at check-in.

The hotel is situated some way from the city centre and is in a retail park complex. The distance is further than the hotel website suggests.

Unfortunately, this was not a very pleasant overnighter for me and I don't think I would be using this hotel again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Willie1888
Thank you for your feedback and I am very disappointed to read that your stay was far from in keeping with our normal reputation but I will be holding a team meeting today to discuss your concerns. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you will return in the future to experience our service levels far better than your experience.
Dublin
Reviewed 6 August 2014

One or two of the staff have some issues with customers don't speak to them or they seem to want to go around the hotel repeating the conversation to every other member of staff including the general manager in a loud voice for all to hear this is very embarrassing other than this the hotel is reasonable for this end if the market and also is a good distance from town

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank padraicpearse
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we do welcome genuine feedback. I have actually sent a letter of complaint to your employer with regards to your stay with us recently. Bus dirvers are expected to pay for items ordered whilst staying in a hotel and we do not expect staff members to accept abusive language on a regular basis been directed towards them. The team did not like you following them and as I approached you thankfully you left the building before I had to ask you to leave. As I have said we do value genuine feedback and I am delighted to read all the positive reviews from so many of our previous Guests.
denmark
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The key-card were ready as soon as we walked in the door as they where expecting us. Really good service to be greeted with your name as soon as you walk in the door. Really really friendly irish staff. Large bedroom for three people. Good bathroom with tub. Really good breakfast, bacon, eggs and all that! And many different types of bread. Cereal, fruit - I certainly did' nt miss anything. Would really recommend if you dont mind the eighties interior.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GMAspectHotel, General Manager at Aspect Hotel Kilkenny, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thanks so much for your very positive comments about all aspects of your stay, sorry you felt that that the interiors were from 1980 considering we open in the late 2006 but eh perhaps its a matter of tastes between our nationality, but glad you enjoyed our Hospitality and service. thanks for your business very much appreciated.