“Perfect for all ages!”
Review of Pembroke Kilkenny

Pembroke Kilkenny
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I recently enjoyed an enjoyable weekend in the Pembroke Hotel as a party of 4 women; I'm 24, two 50 year old women, one of whom is in a wheelchair and finally a 70 year old. It can be hard to find a place that ticks all of our boxes for a weekend away but this place hit the spot! We were given a big family room, which was luxurious yet functional (it even had an iron and ironing board) with two big bathrooms, one was disability friendly and perfectly equipped. We made very good use of the tea facilities and free daily papers! The parking beside the hotel is great also! The central location of the hotel allowed us to go into the city together or split up for a while at our ease, meaning we could all do what we wanted. Kilkenny is a beautiful city, with good shops, cafes with loads of festivals and events so we found plenty to do! The breakfast was tasty with plenty of choice, while the dinner was delicious and the menu included a lot of local produce. Finally I found the staff to be helpful and kind, especially to the elder and sick persons in my group. It was a great weekend and I look forward to making a return with friends...my own age

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Pembroke Kilkenny

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed at The Pembroke for two nights in October. I really enjoyed my stay and could find no fault with the hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and nothing was too much trouble. We booked a two night package with dinner on one evening and the hotel offered excellent value for money without compromising on service or standards. The set evening meal was delicious and offered a good choice of dishes with the option of ordering from the a la carte menu for a supplement. The breakfast buffet offered the usual choice of foods and other options which could be ordered from the kitchen. The bedroom was bright, clean and comfortable and well equipped. The only small criticism I could make is that the towels in the bathroom could have been fluffier! The hotel is ideally located on a quiet street near Kilkenny Castle and within walking distance of the shops ,restaurants etc. In fact there is a selection of restaurants and bars within two minutes walk. While the hotel doesn't actually have a spa the Mint Spa is located right next door.I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to anyone visiting Kilkenny.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

i spent two nights in this hotel and would gladly stay for an extra two nights if i had the chance! the location of this hotel is perfect as it is in the centre of the town and everything you could possibly need is in walking distance. The restaurant is also top class with very tasty dishes and the staff are all very kind and helpful people. the residents bar is wonderful and allows sing songs and the whole lot! if you have a guitar i suggest you bring it! fabulous hotel fabulous people and fabulous location....what more could you ask for?!

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
1  Thank aoife f
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This was our first night in Ireland and my wife and I were both pretty jet lagged at this point. We found the hotel easy enough and it had adequate parking (which we found to be a bit of a rarity in Ireland!). The hotel is modern and the rooms are more what one would expect here in the states. The staff was helpful and attentive. When we got to our room, we immediately found that our toilet would not stop running. We called down to the front desk and they had us in a new room within 5 minutes, no hassle, no problem. Our room was quiet and comfortable. The room came with a very nice breakfast served in the on site restaurant.
From the location of the hotel, it is an easy walk to Kilkenny castle and almost all of the other sites in the town.
All in all, a very positive experience and we would definitely stay there again when we return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently with a group of friends and enjoyed it so much that a revisit is a must. I had no dealings with the hotel prior to my visit as my friend had done all the organisation and the hard work. Delighted was I to reach the hotel after a long trip from Kerry and was welcomed heartily by the receptionist, from this she checked me in quickly and I proceeded to the rooms which were very clean, very functional and cosy, they room was serviced and all linen and towles changed as and if required. The staff were SO helpful, in fact that is almost an understatement, they were the ultimate in friendly, helpful and at several intervals went the extra mile for my friends and I. The food was also of top class quality. I would recommend a stay at this hotel to anybody and to be honest found the rate we were charged for a 2 nights stay plus breakfast and dinner very reasonable. The location is also suberb and one is close to all restaurants, ATM, amenities, attractions and shopping. Well done to you all at the Pembroke Hotel, Kilkenny, I'm sure we will be back without delay.

1  Thank Eimear N
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I spent a weekend at The Pembroke with a group of 12 ladies from the ages of 18 to 46. I was organising the weekend and as I didn't know much about accommodation in KIlkenny I emailed a few hotels for quotations. From the first email I received I knew that this hotel was the perfect choice. Every member of staff with whom I spoke was utterly professional, friendly and went above and beyond their call of duty to be of help. When we arrived at the hotel the atmosphere was really warm and welcoming. The rooms are modern and spotlessly clean as is the rest of the hotel. The staff were always one step ahead in terms of what we needed.The location is absolutely perfect, short "heel distance" from pubs, clubs, shops, restaurants. Food was top class. I would especially like to mention Paul, Keith and Phil Lanigan for their professionalism. I wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Kilkenny in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

My husband and I decided to book the Pembroke for the kilkonomics festival purely based on reviews from tripadvisor and we were very disappointed. On the plus side the location is great and the reception are friendly. On the negatives it's like a holiday inn - except a very expensive holiday inn. The bedroom was freezing which the hotel obviously realise as they leave a heater in the room. The bathrooms are tiny, the beds are hard and the hotel public areas I.e. reception area/halls could do with a good hover. There are much better hotels in Kilkenny!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank magenta_clovisse
pbroderick, General Manager at Pembroke Kilkenny, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, even though you appreciated our great location and friendly reception team.

The hotel is air-conditioned and on occasion we give senior citizens an oil filled radiator, if they request it for familiarity reasons, so one may have been left in your room .(We have an age-friendly agenda). The rooms and bathrooms are all in excess of 4star sizes and standards, with some rooms significantly bigger and all are enjoyed by a large range of visitors, including many from the US where size and comfort matters! Your expectations may have been unrealistic for a 4 star city centre boutique hotel.

We have a very committed team, driven to achieve high standards and I am confident that we can depend on them to make sure the hotel is presented to a very high standard.

I agree that there are lots of good hotels in Kilkenny and I hope you get to experience all that Kilkenny has to offer again.

Paul