“Great hotel and location”
Review of Pembroke Kilkenny

Pembroke Kilkenny
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I stayed here for one night on a Sunday for my birthday, check in was smooth, staff were friendly. I couldn't get the lift to accept my key-card so had to walk up the stairs but luckily we were on the first floor. On entering the room it was very cold, the sir conditioning was on but that was easy to fix. The room was very big and there was plenty of storage. The bathroom was large enough and clean, with some very nice toiletries. The shower was a let down, the cord on the shower was not long enough so I had to bend down a bit to rinse my hair, also I nearly slipped getting out of the shower, it was very slippy, could do with a bath math. The bed was big, but just a bit too hard for my liking, but I managed to sleep. The hotel is in a great location, turn right out the door and you are at the castle and a few minutes walk from the main street. I never managed to try the food but I would have no problem returning again.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,831)

Reviewed 4 March 2010

This hotel was modern and tastefully decorated. This however is where the good news ends...upon arrival we were met, not greeted, by a receptionist who seemed out of her depth. Her manner was far from friendly. When we mentioned that we had parked at the front of the hotel she failed to mention that there was free parking up the street for hotel guests resulting in a 40 euro parking fine waiting on our windscreen in the morning. She failed to give us adequate directions to our room and when I asked her to repeat the directions she was obviously irritated.
The phone rang during our check in with complaints about the heating in several rooms. Unsurprisingly when we entered our room it was freezing cold. The air con system was set to warm but this didn't seem to make any difference. When I rang to enquire about the heating an oil filled heater was sent to the room but given the high ceiling the heater was inadequate to say the least.
The receptionist was not the only unfriendly member of staff, the service during dinner was well below par and at breakfast the next morning the staff were incredibly unhelpful and rude. A small request about a bowl to put my cereal in at the buffet was met with disdain. There were no glasses for the orange juice (I daren't ask for one!!)and the croissants were hard as a rock!!
My advice to the staff at The Pembroke...learn these few words: hello, thank you, excuse me, of course, no problem, a smile wouldn't hurt either... not too difficult..simple manners would have made the freezing room and the parking fine less of an insult!

1  Thank roo86Kildare
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Just to start off by saying, myself and my wife dont get away from the kids very often, so when i book a hotel for a night away, I expect good value for my money and a relaxing night away. We got both here. I booked two rooms for the middle of Feb 2010 for one weekend night, one for me and my wife and one for my wifes sister and her fellow. We didnt pay the extra €30 for the castle view room but we were upgraded to it anyways. (To be honest, dont pay the extra as the castle is a few miles away anyways and your view is over other adjacent buildings - so not worth it in my opinon).

The hotel seem like it was built within the past 2 or 3 years, so it is very modern and clean. No complaints here on food, we didnt eat dinner there, but breakfast was a buffet style and the food just kept rolling out of the kitchen even up to a few minutes before breakfast had ended... which was great as we trundled down to the breakfast 15 min before closing. Everything from yogurts to a full large fry up. It is within 1 minute walk from city centre bars, restaurants and clubs. Someone said here in an earlier review that the carpark was tight? maybe if your driving a hummer! but for us normal folk, the was plenty of room about 25-35 spaces in the hotel carpark situated down a side gate entrance right next to the main hotel door entry and an overflow carpark (keycode entry) down the street which were all free parking.

Just for your info, we paid €150 B&B for each room on a Saturday night and we were quoted €89 for the same on the Friday night (but could only stay on the Sat night as kids being minded by grandparents). So total, €300 for two couples for one night B&B. Kilkenny is a fantastic city and my first time there, well worth returning.

Just a side note... we had a meal in Langdons in the city which was very good i must say, and as its a big venue, we decided to go into the nightclub there after the meal to have a few drinks and the girls wanted to dance. Now, we arent old by any respect!... we are all in our early thirties... but the club in Langdons was a creche! full of 18-19 year olds texting and tweeting each other and ear bursting loud premixed music! we felt like we at a school disco! - not for us... even though we each paid a €5 in, we left after 20 minutes. We did find a late night bar more to our tastes in "Matt The Millers" (at least i think thats what it was called! - i had had a few to drink!). It was busy but comfortable and we could hear ourselves talk and the music covered 60's right up to whats in the charts lately all in all it made our night. Kilkenny is great like i say... go, you wont be disappointed! (we are going back in Sept. it was that good)

1  Thank Accessmh
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We stayed for a two night midweek break in February. We parked in the first space at the back door and were lucky enough to return to the same space each time we came back over the two days. The reception staff were very friendly and we booked a table in the restaurant at 8pm. The room was large clean and tidy overlooking the main street. During the rush hours you could hear the traffic but the noise died down later in the evening and through the night.
The bathroom was spotless and towels were clean. Only one mirror but thats a welcome change.
The restaurant was busy and the waiter friendly. The crusty and wheaten breads were fresh and the quality of the food was exceptional and plentiful. The staff were attentive and the Guinness was just the right temperature. The whole eating experience was five star.
Breakfast was also very good and I recommend the Full Irish. The sausages were particularly tasty as was the black and white pudding.
The room was cleaned while we were away for the day and towels etc changed. We would give this hotel five stars and recommend it to anyone looking for a friendly place to stay in the beautiful city of Kilkenny.

Reviewed 23 February 2010

5 ladies in 2 rooms for a weekend. The staff were really friendly. The hotel is well designed for a short stay and the rooms have everything you need. The location is superb, just moments stroll from everything central. We had 2 lunchs in the hotel they were fine and breakfast was excellent. I would highly recommend it. If there is any negative is that there was absolutely no view from the room, but I see from their website that you can get a view of the Castle for a small amount extra, I think it would be worth it next time for me.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Took a 2 night mid week break which included dinner vouchers (max 25 Euro each off menu prices & excluding alcohol). We paid 30 Euro each extra for a room with "castle view". The view was across gardens & other buildings so no big deal. The room size was small for a 4 star & I would find it very disapointing if a standard room was smaller still. The hotel was modern & clean & staff especially reception were pleasant. Dinner was in a room that also was the hotel bar & service was friendly but a bit amateurish. We got parking on site but others were not so lucky as parking spaces were limited. On a more positive note the location is central, newspaper is complimentary & buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank battyee
Reviewed 20 February 2010

i had a really nice stay at this hotel. I went with friends on a girls night out. Excellent location, lovely spacious rooms, good evening meal and lovely breafast(carvery b/f) would def reccommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends