“Little Gem”
Review of Pembroke Kilkenny

Pembroke Kilkenny
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Kilkenny
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Stayed here for 1 night with the girls. Brilliant location, very spacious rooms, courtous staff, good price. Only downside was the nighttime temperature of the bedroom, like an ice box, and couldnt work out the air conditioning, and didnt want to disturb the night porter as it was 4am, and one of our friends was asleep.
Would definitly stay here again, oh and free parking, which is always a difficulty with City Centre located hotels.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DKennedys
Write a ReviewReviews (1,831)

Reviewed 17 March 2010

Stayed there earlier in the week with a couple of friends. Firstly this hotel was the only one in the area who could realise that an empty room makes no money- and for €35 b&b pps including parking, it is great value.

This place is bang in the centre of things. Our room was a family room (3 single beds) and was bright, spacious, clean and modern. The check in was efficient, professional, and courteous.

One gripe was the price and quality of lunch in the bar. I don't like to pay €10 for a half slice of toast, and the slimy lettuce was inexcusable!!!

Cracking little hotel- but eat elsewhere!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2010

arrived here for a mid week break, including dinner on one night, check in staff very helpful, plenty of space in the car park, ate in the hotel first night, told menu was half price because of international womens day, food was top class, getting 50% off the bill was even better!, it made our trip, have no problem recommending this hotel, hope to be back! plenty to choose from at breakfast, everything cooked fresh. room clean and tidy, quiet at rear of hotel, bathroom immaculate, could just see the turret of the castle-on 2nd floor, obviously not high enough, had to phone reception to get the heat turned on though- but was not a problem. all in all, a very good experience

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2010

We loved the Pembroke Hotel. Our room was clean, modern and quiet. The staff was friendly and the food was great. Everything you needed was in walking distance I would definitely recommend staying at the Pembroke.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I stayed here for one night on a Sunday for my birthday, check in was smooth, staff were friendly. I couldn't get the lift to accept my key-card so had to walk up the stairs but luckily we were on the first floor. On entering the room it was very cold, the sir conditioning was on but that was easy to fix. The room was very big and there was plenty of storage. The bathroom was large enough and clean, with some very nice toiletries. The shower was a let down, the cord on the shower was not long enough so I had to bend down a bit to rinse my hair, also I nearly slipped getting out of the shower, it was very slippy, could do with a bath math. The bed was big, but just a bit too hard for my liking, but I managed to sleep. The hotel is in a great location, turn right out the door and you are at the castle and a few minutes walk from the main street. I never managed to try the food but I would have no problem returning again.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2010

This hotel was modern and tastefully decorated. This however is where the good news ends...upon arrival we were met, not greeted, by a receptionist who seemed out of her depth. Her manner was far from friendly. When we mentioned that we had parked at the front of the hotel she failed to mention that there was free parking up the street for hotel guests resulting in a 40 euro parking fine waiting on our windscreen in the morning. She failed to give us adequate directions to our room and when I asked her to repeat the directions she was obviously irritated.
The phone rang during our check in with complaints about the heating in several rooms. Unsurprisingly when we entered our room it was freezing cold. The air con system was set to warm but this didn't seem to make any difference. When I rang to enquire about the heating an oil filled heater was sent to the room but given the high ceiling the heater was inadequate to say the least.
The receptionist was not the only unfriendly member of staff, the service during dinner was well below par and at breakfast the next morning the staff were incredibly unhelpful and rude. A small request about a bowl to put my cereal in at the buffet was met with disdain. There were no glasses for the orange juice (I daren't ask for one!!)and the croissants were hard as a rock!!
My advice to the staff at The Pembroke...learn these few words: hello, thank you, excuse me, of course, no problem, a smile wouldn't hurt either... not too difficult..simple manners would have made the freezing room and the parking fine less of an insult!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roo86Kildare
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Just to start off by saying, myself and my wife dont get away from the kids very often, so when i book a hotel for a night away, I expect good value for my money and a relaxing night away. We got both here. I booked two rooms for the middle of Feb 2010 for one weekend night, one for me and my wife and one for my wifes sister and her fellow. We didnt pay the extra €30 for the castle view room but we were upgraded to it anyways. (To be honest, dont pay the extra as the castle is a few miles away anyways and your view is over other adjacent buildings - so not worth it in my opinon).

The hotel seem like it was built within the past 2 or 3 years, so it is very modern and clean. No complaints here on food, we didnt eat dinner there, but breakfast was a buffet style and the food just kept rolling out of the kitchen even up to a few minutes before breakfast had ended... which was great as we trundled down to the breakfast 15 min before closing. Everything from yogurts to a full large fry up. It is within 1 minute walk from city centre bars, restaurants and clubs. Someone said here in an earlier review that the carpark was tight? maybe if your driving a hummer! but for us normal folk, the was plenty of room about 25-35 spaces in the hotel carpark situated down a side gate entrance right next to the main hotel door entry and an overflow carpark (keycode entry) down the street which were all free parking.

Just for your info, we paid €150 B&B for each room on a Saturday night and we were quoted €89 for the same on the Friday night (but could only stay on the Sat night as kids being minded by grandparents). So total, €300 for two couples for one night B&B. Kilkenny is a fantastic city and my first time there, well worth returning.

Just a side note... we had a meal in Langdons in the city which was very good i must say, and as its a big venue, we decided to go into the nightclub there after the meal to have a few drinks and the girls wanted to dance. Now, we arent old by any respect!... we are all in our early thirties... but the club in Langdons was a creche! full of 18-19 year olds texting and tweeting each other and ear bursting loud premixed music! we felt like we at a school disco! - not for us... even though we each paid a €5 in, we left after 20 minutes. We did find a late night bar more to our tastes in "Matt The Millers" (at least i think thats what it was called! - i had had a few to drink!). It was busy but comfortable and we could hear ourselves talk and the music covered 60's right up to whats in the charts lately all in all it made our night. Kilkenny is great like i say... go, you wont be disappointed! (we are going back in Sept. it was that good)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple