“Decent stay.”
Review of Bregagh House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilkenny
Bregagh House
Ranked #23 of 74 Kilkenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Good location, away from city center noise but close enough walk. Good parking. Small room with nothing special about it, but clean. Helpful enough staff and good breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WeL0veIreland

Reviewed 31 August 2009

What a disappointment this B&B turned out to be. Rosie was nice enough when we arrived and gave us a nce welcome and a map along with a run down of the things to do in Kilkenny (not much). However, the rooms are very average and the beds are lumpy. It felt like sleeping on a well worn futon from college (and not in a good sense). To top it all off, there wasn't any soap provided for your *very* small shower. Just a bottle of liquid soap screwed into the wall above the sink - which you can't use from the shower. Fortunately, my wife brought along an extra bar of soap just in case and we were fine but others may not be as fortunate. The water pressure and temperature were both good but it was a very cramped shower. We did find the hair dryer in one of the dresser cabinets. The breakfast the next morning was very average with watery eggs and a meager selection for the continental breakfast. It is on one end of town just across the street from St. Canice's Cathederal. However, this isn't a very big town and you can easily walk to the other end in less than 15 minutes. There was free parking at the B&B and the high-speed internet connection (Wi-Fi) was good. The rooms while worn, were very clean. This was definitely a no-frills B&B.

All in all, it was NOT worth the 76 euros we paid for the night. Kilkenny is a very average town and the Kilkenny Castle is VERY VERY over rated. i.e. save your money and check out St. Canice's Cathederal instead, which is vastly more interesting and also has a block and hammer roof. Do this on a stopover through town. This town and this B&B in particular are not worth spending the night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WorldTraveler1975
Reviewed 30 August 2009

I booked the bed and breakfast and specifically told the lady owner that I would be staying there on a Saturday night for business purposes. I always do this as many bed and breakfast owners think it is strange for a woman to book a room on a Saturday night. My usual hotel where my business meeting was couldn't accommodate me so I booked this bed and breakfast. As early as 8pm on the Saturday night I started to hear music. I tried to drown it out with the television but gave up at 1.20am and eventually fell asleep. I had to close the window to keep the noise out and so I awoke 3 hours later as the room was stuffy and wasn't able to get back to sleep! I complained to the owner's son but he couldn't care less. My argument was that they should have advised me go elsewhere if I had business the next day. At €55 I felt I had been robbed blind!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank CorporatechickIE
Reviewed 16 August 2009

THe night we spent ay Bregagh House was our lowest raated night out 6 B&B's, guesthouses and hotels we stayed at during our trip to Ireland. When we arrived a couple was wlaking out of the B&B, really did not say much, but they made a comment that their son Jimmy would check us in. Did not even introduce themselves, just left. Jimmy showed us the room and then disappeared, did not help with bags, smallest steps I have seen. Difficult to carry a bag up these steps. Rooms were noisy, we were on the back side of the B&B but the other people as there came and went were noisy. Rooms are small, bathroom is smaller. Breakfast in the morning, we had the traditional Irish breakfast and within 2 hours both my wife and I were headed for the bathroom. The location of the home is in an area that most of the buildings have bars on the windows. First and only time I was worried about the car, I brought everything into the house that night. Over all, I would try a differnet place next time

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtnkd
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We stayed at Bregagh Guesthouse only one night, on our way to Powerscourt. We had just driven from the west coast and were warmly welcomed by Rosanne. She helped us find a place for dinner and gave us a map of all the sites in Kilkenny. Rooms were spotlessly clean and very comfortable. My husband and I stayed in a room with a full-size bed and our kids stayed down the hall in a room with two beds. Yes, the shower was small, but didn't matter; it was so perfectly clean. We all loved the Irish breakfast the next morning. Our son didn't get up in time to make the 10 a.m. cut off, but Rosanne insisted on making him a full breakfast anyway. He was in heaven. We loved talking to Rosanne and meeting her family. After a full day touring Kilkenny (they kindly let us leave our car parked in the lot while we toured around), we continued on our way to the east coast with fond memories of Kilkenny and Brehagh House.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Oakton_VADac
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Great location-easy walk into downtown Kilkenney-with a gated carpark (tight in, tight out but safe and accessible!). Rooms were nothing special but were clean and the triple did have 3 beds. Bathroom was a bit tight...those 'needing' shower pressure might want to look elsewhere. We had to leave early so missed the breakfast. Good basic, no frills B&B. My only comment/concern was that they didn't take credit cards and we didn't find this out until we arrived and had to search out an ATM several blocks away to pay for the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank cgiombetti
Reviewed 3 July 2009

This B&B is just across the street from St. Canice's Cathedral (go visit Noel in the round tower if he's there) and just a short walk from the High Street and great pubs. Jimmy greeted us upon arrival and was very helpful with our bags and finding a place to eat. If there was a hairdryer, I didn't find it, and the street was a little noisy at night, but otherwise a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2009