“AMAZING!”

Cafe Sol Bistro
Price range: US$6 - US$34
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: CAFE SOL BISTRO KILKENNY uses quality local suppliers and our dishes are prepared fresh daily from the best ingredients. We offer a great value all night menu priced at €25 for two courses and €29 for three courses (some supplements apply). Craft beers and your favourite aperitifs digestifs and cocktails are now on the menu! We welcome customer feedback - please email with any queries you may have. Thank you!
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Not only were the food and the service fabulous, they were able to make alterations to their meals in order to satisfy some allergy restrictions in our party. Not an inexpensive restaurant but the price was well worth it. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I had dinner here with my husband and 16-year old daughter in early July. My husband had the Kilkenny meatballs with pasta for starter, and the pan fried fillet of salmon, parmesan and chorizo creamed potato with caper beurre noisette for main. He thought the salmon was a little overdone and found the creamed potatoes too salty, but he liked the flavours.
My daughter had the creamy smoked chicken and bok choy pasta w/sweet chilli and fresh herbs. She said it was delicious and ate so much she didn't have room for dessert...
I had the hake, which was baked in some kind of paper with peppers, squash (I think) and spring onions, served with roasted dill potatoes and some kind of salsa/sauce one the side. As I said - I'd kill for the recipe. If I'd been alone I would have licked the bowl! This was the best meal I've had in a long, long time. When I'd finished the fish I ended up munching potatoes - they were incredibly tasty! It was a pity that my husband's potatoes spoiled an otherwise perfect meal.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

The food here is terrific. We were given the recommendation by our B&B proprietors and this was one of our best "fancy" dinners of our whole time in Ireland. Located in the tiny village of Thomaston, this is totally worth the excursion.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

This restaurant is a gem, tucked away on a quiet, side street in Kilkenny. I ordered roast chicken with a mustard ham potato cake, served with an array of sauteed vegetables in mushroom sauce. The dish was garnished with curly, fried tidbits. My husband enjoyed baked hake with salsa verde, served with hot spiced couscous and vegetables. Presentation was exceptional for both dishes and flavors were complex. Tomato Fennel bread was offered along with the usual brown and white breads, all delicious. Service was prompt and courteous, a memorable meal during our two weeks in Ireland.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

This restaurant was wonderful. The vegetarian choices were wonderful.