“Very dissapointing very poor service, hotel guests given priority”
Review of Sol Oriens

Sol Oriens
Ranked #15 of 83 Restaurants in County Laois
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
midlands ireland
“Very dissapointing very poor service, hotel guests given priority”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

This was the second time I have been for a meal in the past year as a customer that is not a hotel resident. I have also had a meal here as a staying guest. Last year when we went for a meal here it was with my mum and sisters, we chose here on the basis that when we had stayed in the hotel the previous year the food and service were excellent.

Unfortunately, the service that night was very poor, vegetables and potatoes came when we had half eaten our meal , it was very difficult to get the attention of the two waiters, who seemed to have forgotton us on a number of occassions and seemed to be falling over themseleves to look after a large group on the other side of the restaurant, who we discovered later to be residents of the hotel. At one stage we had to go up to the counter to look for service. The food was very dissapointing that night, i had tastless seabass dish, I was also surprised the menu was exactly the same as the previous time.

Last night myself and my husband went there for a meal, I was hoping both the food and service would be a lot better this time and perhaps the last time was just an off night.

When we booked we were told there were two sittings 7 or 9pm, we booked 9pm but when we arrived we were told our table would not be ready until at 9.15 as there was a wedding party from the hotel having a meal and would we go to the bar next door for a drink, here again hotel guest were given priority, we really didnt want to eat too late so not a good start.
We came back at 9.20pm and were led to a table which the Head waiter described as the best seat in the house and apologised for the delay, unfortunately he didnt give us any menus and 10 minutes later he spotted us and apologised again!! We ordered our meal at 9.45pm too late really, we had hoped to be eating well before this.

We ordered a bottle of red house wine which we had to return as it was the cheapest tasting quite undrinkable wine i have ever had, we changed to a chablis which was fine.We found it quite hard to get the attention of the waiter to change the wine.
My husband had the garlic prawns which were a bit undercooked and swimming in garlic butter with rock hard toasted french bread.

We then had steak and a pasta dish which were both ok, nothing exceptional.

The dessert was pannacotta which was absolutely delicious, the highlight of the meal.

We also ordered coffee which we received from a very nice waitress but unfortunately, this must have been sitting there for at least over an hour and was completely stewed, this was the part of the night that annoyed us the most, because the head waiter was nowhere to be seen the waiting staff congregated around the counter area of the kitchen, one of them on their mobile phone, and the waiter who was looking after us had his back turned to us, we tried for about 10 minutes to get their attention,but in the end i had to go up and ask him to change the coffee, this really annoyed us.

The head watier asked us later when he came back was everything ok at this stage we were tired of it all and just said yes.

We will never return to this restaurant and were so dissapointed at the night as we dont get out too often as we have small children. I have read very good reviews on this restaurant and when I stayed in the heritage I too gave a good review two years ago, but this has changed the service needs to be reviewed and why after 2 years is the menu still the same the food was just ok, we should have gone to Marios Trattoria, in the Square in Portarlington, where I had a fantastic evening meal the week before with friends,would recommend here for dinner I have also had lunch here which is not a patch on their evening meal so not recommending for lunch.

2 Thank cathalbrugha

Co Kildare
“Best staff ever!”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We love this restaurant, the staff are so good, nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. The restaurant itself is good value for money and whether it is for a romantic dinner for 2 or a birthday celebration with your friends and family I cannot recommend it enough. We have been on numerous occasions and it has always been a good experience. Well done Hisham, Abdul, Harry, Lucas and all the other staff.

2 Thank sgs67