“Very Disapointed”

Maldron Hotel Limerick
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked the Maldron through an internet deal 46 euro B and B for two.
When we got there we seemed to be the only people around.
Our room was only ok awful stains on the bathroom sink.
We went down to the Bar for something to eat only a handful of people in there.
My daughter ordered a sandwich and told the lady no butter,it was supposed to come on thick farm house bread.
It came out on plain sliced pan covered in butter.
My daughter dident want to make a fuss but i told the waitress, all she said was oh i told them no butter.
My daughter at this stage wasent feeling at at all well,so i payed the bill and was charged for the sandwich which was not ate.
We decided to go home as she really wasent well we stayed one hour in the hotel.
The lady on reception asked why we were leaveing i told her,i also said how unhappy i was over the sandwich.
She called the manager who said oh if you ever come again i will give you dinner.
Iknow it was our fault that we left but he could of said come again ,to be fair it wasent that the hotel was busy.
For two woman on their own i dident like the area.
and when we booked the lady said oh its not an area you would walk around at night.
All we can do is put it down to experance but over all a very disapointing hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tammycorkireland

Reviewed 21 September 2011

If you want to stay at the best hotel in the city...go pay for it. If you want a cozy hotel convienently located (no view) with friendly staff...clean rooms...good rates etc...then give it a try. Funny to read other reviews and things people complain about. Bible in room a turnoff- I've never been in a hotel without one get over it. Guys passed out with beer cans in front of them....your in Ireland. Anyways...good value for $ no hesitation to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank florida_deals
Reviewed 21 September 2011

When we arrived at the hotel after a very long and tiring journey and we were greated by a very friendly and professional lady working behind the desk who made us feel very welcome. The rooms were very clean and tidy, and the hotel was lovely and quite you wouldnt think you were in a city. The location of the hotel was superb and was very easy to find. We had a wonderful weekend at the hotel and would definitaly be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cici89
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel, on the weekend of 10th September 2011!!! I have to say I only wanted a room for the night following a conference in the city, however I ended up having a Fantastic dinner here followed by some very reasonably priced drinks.

A lot of my work colleges have travelled all over the world and stayed in many different types of hotels, but they were well impressed with this particular Maldron.

The staff especially are a credit to the place, remember people the amount of stars after a hotels name is not always the best option. Would definately stay here if I'm ever in Limerick any time soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mhm11
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My family (2 adults and 2 kids) stayed here for 4 nights in August. We were greeted by nice pleasant staff at reception on check-in and they were so helpful. The underground carpark was so secure - such an added bonus! The hotel facilities were great as was the cleanliness of the room. Atmosphere in the bar was great, even the kids enjoyed themselves! The buffet style breakfast was ideal as we were able to help ourselves (ideal with fussy/slow eaters). Being located seconds off the ring road it was perfect for travelling to Galway, Clare, Killarney and Cork, Tipperary and Dublin.
Thought it was going to be noisy being so near the dualcarriage way but I was wrong! Had 4 restful nights sleep!
Didn't get to experience Limerick Night Life so myself and my partner will definately be back to Maldron Limerick for a weekend!

Room Tip: Room were huge!! Ideal for families!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank irishsabs
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend last Friday and Saturday night.

First impressions of the hotel - we arrived late on Friday night (maybe around 11pm.) The girl working on reception was very friendly and professional. The cards for our room did not work at first, but this was quickly and easily rectified. One problem we noted was the car park - while you need a hotel key card to raise the entrance barrier the adjacent exit barrier remained open all weekend! So the car park doesn't seem to be particularly secure, especially considering that the area doesnt seem great, and that there is what appears to be a halting site directly across the road from the car park. Having said all that, our car was fine and we had no issues with security all weekend.

We had gone for the most basic hotel room, which cost approx €165 for the two nights (which included an extra €40 for breakfasts both mornings.) The room was lovely. Plenty of space. Massive comfy bed (well, two beds pushed together, I don't mind this though.) Some very minor complaints - there was a bible displayed quite prominently in the room. I spend up to six months a year in various irish hotels for work, and this is an old fashioned archaic symbol that I generally only see in the most backwards of establishments. While the presence of a bible wouldn't offend me personally, it does give a bad impression of management. Its very presumptuous to have it there! Why not have a couple of copies at reception instead, that guests can obtain on request?! Other than that, there was a badly cracked tile in the bathroom. No big deal, but easily fixed. Also, there was a shower curtain - a pet hate of mine! Much prefer the glass doors.

The room and bathroom were spotless. Decent bath/shower. Lighting could have been better, in both bedroom and bathroom, but I find that to be the case in most hotels. We had a lovely quiet peaceful nights sleep both nights.

Breakfast in the hotel did not begin until eight. This was a little inconvenient for us, as we had a tight schedule to follow on saturday and would have preferred to be on the road a little earlier. Breakfast was all self service, and it was all fine, with one major problem. The juices (apple and orange) were watered down to a ridiculous extent - it was like drinking flavoured water! Absolutely disgusting, and really not acceptable when you're paying €10 extra per person for breakfast each day. This really put me off. The rest of the breakfast was fine. One suggestion - its far more appealing to have a large bowl of plain yogurt with the fruit, than the individual flavoured cartons.

We had soup and a couple of drinks in the hotel bar on saturday afternoon. Soup was fine, very cheap, drinks weren't overpriced either. The bar is very friendly and cosy, there is a nice relaxed atmosphere there and everywhere else in the hotel.

My boyfriend had a swim in the pool, which he enjoyed. He had however been looking forward to a massage in the spa, but was told the spa had moved elsewhere, which was disappointing. Actually, one thing missing from the bedroom - a folder outlining the hotels facilities, including restaurant menus etc.

The juice wasn't quite as watered down at breakfast on sunday morning - it was still very bad though! Such a very basic thing to get right, its a pity the hotel let itself down with such a simple thing.

Check out was fine, staff friendly as ever.

Would definitely stay here again, as it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 18 September 2011

If you are a teenager, and are looking for a Hostel/Hotel to run amuck in for your post debs party, then this is the place for you. Girls and Boys running up and down the corridor shouting, laughing, and going from room to room right through the entire night. At one stage the security Guard was chasing them around the hotel. They had a ball!! I passed young fellas in tuxedos sleeping in the lobby with bottles of beer on my way to breakfast.
If you are looking for a safe and quiet nights sleep, then you will be disappointed. This hotel is a shambles. I had a word with the manager the following morning, and he said "sorry"! Yeah, well that is alot of good!
I'm safe in the knowledge that this wont happen me again, because I wouldn't set foot into this hotel again, even to use the toilet. Worst hotel I have ever stayed at.
I have since stayed in a tent at electric picnic, and I got a better nights sleep. ( I exaggerate not).

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business