“overnight stay”

Maldron Hotel Limerick
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 13 April 2014

this hotel is really nice.excellent service and the food was great.will defin go there again. it was very cheap to stay there. shopping in limerick very convienent to the hotel. big swimming pool which was great.

Room Tip: the highter the better
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We took a LIDL break to this hotel recently. The hotel is a few km outside of the city centre and is not in the best area of Limerick. We did not find the reception staff overly friendly (apart from the man on the night shift) and some of the food was not great on the menu we had to order from (we were on a "deal" and were given a seperate menu to choose from). One of the choices was turkey and ham and while the turkey was Ok the ham was of the packaged variety and definitely not fresh.We had to call reception immediately we arrived as the light in the bathroom needed replacing. The extractor fan in the bathroom was not working either and when we mentioned it we were told that it was on a timer along with the central heating! We also had a problem with our meal vouchers and when we pointed out that they had made a mistake they were not impressed and were a bit snappy when we went back to reception to collect the correct ones. The decor is a bit dated and parts of the corridors smell damp.The pool area is lovely with plenty of space for both adults and children to enjoy themselves. The bar is a bit dry in terms of entertainment but a taxi to town is only about 7 to 8 euro and there is plenty of entertainment to be had in the city. The hotel is on the same site as an Aldi store and also had an Off Licence and Chemist on the same site. Right across the road there is a fast food outlet and there is also a halting site beside the hotel but it did not appear to present any problems. The underground carpark is not secure and while we were told to just press the buzzer to get the barrier raised when we were going out we could still be there waiting for it to be lifted and we eventually had to come out the "in" ramp which was permanently open so that just about anybody could come and go as they pleased. We felt that we got value for what we paid (99 euro each for two nights b&b and 2 (very mediocre) dinners) but I dont think we would return again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann O
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Firstly, the hotel is not in a very nice part of town. There is a halting site directly across the road, and when my boyfriend walked to the shop - he walked past numerous groups of young lads and a passed out junkie on the corner. I was not advised not to park outside the hotel, but only heard them advise someone else in passing. My car was fine, but I was a bit concerned. I parked in the underground car park the second night, but there is nothing secure about it. Any car can drive in and out, and anybody can walk in an out.

The decor of the hotel is cheap and dated. The rooms are functional but that is about it. On arrival, we were not given enough towels for us both to shower and only one roll of toilet paper. My boyfriend asked for more towels and toilet paper at reception at 9.45am, by 11am there was still no sign. I rang reception to enquire and was given an abrupt response 'well I have been on reception all morning, and he didnt ask me for them!'. Eventually we were given the requested towels and toiler paper.

We had dinner in the hotel one night as we arrived late and the food was edible. But that is about the best I can describe. The breakfast was again average but not worth the ten euro price tag.

The restaurant staff were friendly, but the rest of the staff were rude and lazy.

I would never ever stay here again, and would definitely not advise anyone to stay there. A general feeling of being unsafe in the area was definitely off putting.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Orla B
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Myself and my wife spent a 3 night break here from 4th February. It was a wonderful relaxing time. From reception right on through, the staff were wonderful. Always greeted and made feel at home.Rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and serviced everyday, the bar was clean and the service was good, Sandra made us feel so welcome as did the other lady also. it was good to see management and staff work so well together. The food was good and a nice selection.
The location was perfect and easy access and exit from.
Thank you for a nice relaxing stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed in a family room for one night. The room we were allocated on arrival smelled very badly of smoke, staff were extremely helpful and we were moved promptly. The second room was lovely, spacious and clean with a double, single and camp bed. Breakfast in the morning was good, although the coffee machine seemed to have a mind if it's own! The pool area was really nice too and the girl working there was very friendly. Overall our stay was pleasant

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Arrived at night time, had a pleasant check in, room was clean, bathroom was clean, so far so good.
Went to the bar for something to eat. That was our first mistake. I had a steak which was passable but my wife opted for fish and chips. The fish had obviously been cooked at an earlier date, frozen, then microwaved to order. The batter was chewy and inedible. Note to the chef - Batter is normally crispy and tasty. We were also served a 'salad' which had been drowned in a vinegary type sauce. To call it disgusting would be nice about it. The bar staff were also not exactly friendly. Maybe it had been a long day for them but that's no excuse to look like they had been wearing the same clothes for 3 months. When our waiter cleaned our table he made a point of showing his buddies my wifes unfinished 'meal' and didnt come back to see if we wanted dessert, tea or coffee, etc. Deprived us of the opportunity to say 'no way'. This was the most depressing bar that I had experienced for many years.
Breakfast the next morning was a similar experience. The chef was chatting up the waitresses when we arrived. I said good morning and the waitresses were polite enough to say good morning back to me. The chef just looked at me as if I had 7 heads. He should have spent more time ensuring that the hot breakfast was edible. I can't begin to describe how poor it was. The hash browns looked as if they had survived for a few days already and I wasnt going to be the one to put them out of their misery. Other items were cold. The beans and scrambled eggs had a reheated type skin on them but at least the bread was fresh.
The view from our bedroom window was of a gypsy camp with tons of rubbish dumped over their boundary wall and apart from looking at that there is nothing else to do unless you fancy a trip to Aldi or to the local petrol station.
Check out was less friendly than check in.
Normally I am asked if everything was ok but not this time. It was like we were not welcome there and the staff were apathetic as to whether we came back or not. But they have no need to worry as we certainly won't be. We'll spend our money elsewhere next time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This trip was booked for us by family who had previously stayed in this hotel. We arrived onn Valentines night at approx 9.30pm. The guy at check in wasn't over friendly and gave us our keys. When I enquired about breakfast he told us this was not part of our "package" and didn't even point out where breakfast would be served! Up in the room, all looked good at first glance. However when I sat on the bed, I nearly fell through the 2 single beds pushed together! We rang downstairs and were told that there were no double rooms that night. No apology. The next morning after a bad nights sleep with springs digging in our backs and a warm watery breakfast I went down to reception to complain only to be told that all double rooms in the hotel were single beds pushed togehter but usually the beds were zipped together. Gillian said she would get housekeeping to look at the beds. that evening we had dinner in the restaurant, it was fine. The newly zipped together beds were just as uncomfortable as the night before. On Sunday morning I went to let the water out of the bath only to realise that the plug wouldn't come out!!!! On checking out I brought my complaint again to Gillian who seemed totally unfazed "apologies, I'll pass on your complaint". That was it! Never ever again. Poor hotel, bathroom was stained with dirt, uncomfortable and just lazy customer service!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple