“Disturbed Sleep” 1 of 5 bubbles

No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
“Disturbed Sleep”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Hotel on paper looked excellent. Reviews looked great. Booked for wedding anniversary on 23rd August. So what went wrong.

First of arrived at 14:00 to find we could not check in, according to booking I had the check in time was 15:00 so we decided to leave our bags and head into town for some food. We were assured our bags would be put into storage location securely. On return to the hotel around an hour and a half later we found the room was still not ready and the bags were "securely" stored behind the checkin desk, in full view of anyone walking around in the hotel.

Room was eventually ready and we moved our bags into it. We were in the Yeats room on the first floor and if offered this please turn down if you like your sleep. On inspection of the room, hairs were found on the bed sheets and there were some stains on the headboard. The sash window was not closed properly next to the bed and to close it involved standing on the window whilst simultaneously pushing up the upper frame and down the lower frame, only then would the latch close. However this did nothing to prevent the road noise coming into the room for the rest of the stay.
Television channels were limited, but guessing it is not what people would be coming to the hotel for, also of limited supply was shower gel in the bathroom, just one small bottle between two people.

We decided to go down to the spa, was a brief visit. While the staff could not be faulted in the area there were a few issues here also. In the changing rooms there is no private changing area, rather an open plan arrangement. The walls could do with some repainting in areas. The "Cocoon" room appears to have been set at a hot summers day in Dubai, rather than a pleasant temperature for relaxation. The steam room did not have any aromatheraphy characteristics and both of the Irish mist showers were broken and were rather showers than Irish mist showers.

All this paled into insignificance with the major issue of the room which was noise. Along with the road noise from outside that could not be prevented there was a constant clip / clopping of people on the main corridor underneath the room. This was constant through the night as it was obviously used by staff.

At 12:30am we were both then awoken by drunken guests in the room next door who decided that shouting and screaming was a valid form of communication. While not the responsibility of the hotel the lack of sound insulation meant that we were disturbed until around 01:30 when the noise and constant flushing of the toilet which was directly behind the bed headboard in our room. I have to say that listening to a stranger using the toilet while lying in bed is not my idea of a romantic evening.
The smell of cigarrette smoke which also seemed to permeate the room at the same time period as the guests arriving was also strange considering it is a non-smoking hotel.

So after a lack of sleep due to noise and disturbances we eventually came to breakfast, which is not served until 09:00 on a Sunday. We would have preferred earlier so that we could get out of the hotel and return home for some rest.

On a plus side the breakfast was excellent and was the only thing that we would compliment on for the stay. That and one of the quietist A/C units I have, in this case, not heard in a hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the Yeats room
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank David K
Food1wine, Owner at No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Oh I am so sorry to read your mail, I wish you would have made us aware while in house. We have many repeat guests who stay in the Yeats room and the street noise has never been an issue, in fact many comment on how peaceful it is. Maybe on this night there was something happening we were unaware off. The other resident's who disturbed you, if we were aware we would have put a stop to this immediately. Delighted to read you enjoyed breakfast and the A/C . I wish we could have had the opportunity to deal with these issues when you were with us, I hope you will return and give us the opportunity to restore our reputation with you and your guest. Please contact me direct and I will ensure you are well looked after.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Qualities of this hotel are: "friendly - clean - quiet - lovely" - that's about all there is to say. It is very convenient to reach from Shannon Airport and even though we did arrive very late, the stuff was extremly friendly. Parking lot is available, as is free internet. Limmerick is a lovely town and all you might want to see is in walking distance from the hotel. That was a wonderful start to beginn our "Ireland weekend".

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room like "Stephens" room. If availeble, you will get one of those to...
1 Thank gniessen
Patricia-Roberts, Owner at No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Its hard to fault this place,
the room was amazing, the staff were lovely and the breakfast was simply stunning.
We only stayed one night but I'd definitely return.

Not sure if breakfast is served to the public, it should be, the kitchen is world class - compliments to the chef!

Room Tip: Make sure you get breakfast at this hotel, its great!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vincejd
Thank you for your comments on breakfast and been the best in town. Delighted to read you enjoyed it so much
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Simply amazing ☺my boyfriend and I visited today.From the moment we arrived our experience was second to none. Facilities were faultless. The ambience was one of pure tranquillity. The staff were warm and welcoming. We both had hot stone back massages and facials as part of the pick and mix specials. Amazing value for money. I recieved the best massage iv had in a spa from my therapist Amy. As I am I therapist myself I was really in need of a good treatment. As it was my boyfriends first time at the spa I was glad that he enjoyed the experience. I would highly recommend this spa and will definitely be visiting soon ☺

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vivien T
Delighted you enjoyed your birthday with us, we wish you many more happy birthdays
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We have to spread the word- this boutique hotel was fabulous and luxurious and a perfect choice for us to spend a sneaky night away from normal life! Stayed in the Vanderkiste period style room and it took my breath away: from the georgian meets modern take on decor, to the most comfortable bed in the world. The staff were so professional, special mention to Kathleen and Terry- so friendly and funny! Will definitely be back!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My only regret was that we didn't stay longer. Due to changes in our trip, we only stayed 1 night. But this hotel was awesome...staff friendly, super clean/new, very nice, and great food. Wish we had gone to the spa, which I'm sure is great. Overall, I would definitely come back and stay here!

Room Tip: We got a club double I think...was great. It seems you can't go wrong with any of the rooms!
Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here last year and fell in love with the place so we booked it for our wedding! The hotel, it's location, the food, the accommodation and the spa are simply amazing and the pictures speak for themselves. Where this hotel really stands out (and I mean by miles) comes down to the staff. I have never stayed in a hotel with such a caring, interested & lovely bunch of people.

From having a disagreement with the girl making my coffee about which Abba song was better to the porter in the hallway who said "Good morning, I hope you have a wonderful day!" - you cannot fake that level of sincerity. Patricia owns the nicest ship in town run & staffed by some loveliest people. Of everywhere I have stayed, I've never met a friendlier bunch of people.

If you are looking for a proper treat, a little haven tucked away in the corner of Limerick city center, get yourself to No. 1 pronto!

Room Tip: The Period Rooms are extra special!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Oh thank you so much for a lovely review