“Location, Location, Location”

The Pier Hotel, Limerick
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 9 April 2014

A good hotel for the money. Simple accomodations close to the main shopping and entertainment areas of Limerick and sitting on the edge of the Sarsfield Bridge within sight of King John's Castle.

The bathroom and beds were adequate (though the beds were a bit hard for our taste). My wife and I found the lighting situation a bit confusing as well. In our room, we had to put on of our room keycards in a small slot to get most of the lights to work (but not the television?). Also, one of the lights blew out while we were there and another fixture did not turn on at all. Despite that, there was plenty of light in the room.

Believe the hype about the traffic noise. It was definitely an impediment to sleeping, but on our second night, we closed the window and the noise wasn't as much of a problem. I don't have so much of a problem with that since I expected as much from a budget urban hotel (our room faced Sarsfield Bridge).

Definitely a budget hotel, but good for a 1-2 day stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kip H

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here as part of a hens weekend deal. Hotel was very central, only ten min walk to the train station and €6 in a taxi.Great selection for breakfast. Receptionist was lovely and helpful, ordered our taxis and gave us nice tips for bars/restaurants.Rooms are small, bed was comfy. only downside was that the rooms were cold and the shower never got hot. Thought it might just have been my room but checked with the others and theirs was the same.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jenchanted
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed in. It took me hours to fall asleep due to noise coming from the bar area & people noise from the corridors. In total I probably got about an hours sleep. The walls are obviously paper thin as I could hear conversations happening in the room next door.
On top of this, the staff were quite rude. The girl on reception was extremely unhelpful, tried to ignore me and first and then looked extremely put out when I asked her a simple question about parking (the parking situation is also ridiculous).
Would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms as far away from the bar area as possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Clare M
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Nice room, friendly staff and good location. The only downside was that they sent me to the wrong room so after i went out for my dinner and came back the hotel clerk was saying there was some mix up. Needless to say they moved my belongings from one room to another while i was out, which i wasn't too pleased with. Nothing was missing but it was still a little weird, they could have called me while i was out to come back.4 stars if they didn't move my stuff though

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ado01
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Three stars only for the size of the room. I loved walking into a freshly cleaned with bleached bathroom. The hotel is located near many attractions within walking distance. Next door connected to the hotel is The Quay Bar and Restaurant, good food at a reasonable rate.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vera O
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Good value room and reasonable ensuite although there was some mold high up in the shower. Bed was comfortable but the room was on the first floor right next to the road which is one of the main bridges into Limerick centre. Easily walkable to the few sites in Limerick but very limited free parking with buzzer entry. There is an arrangement with the public car park just down the street but this is paid parking. Very nice breakfast at reasonable cost - providing you don't want cereal as this is €2 extra. Only 2 streets from Limerick's main street and about 10min walk from King John's Castle. Hotel is beside the Shannon and easy to find.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

On entering hotel it is very clean. Friendly staff, warm and welcoming. Bar area clean and good atmosphere. I checked in and when I went to get off the lift I noticed a smell. Up to this point I had nothing bad to say. When I got into the room the smell was very bad. A musty smell that was very overpowering. Opened the window and left for town, but on returning to the room after I must say an entertaining, enjoyable night in the bar down stairs that had live music, the smell was still there. I found it very distracting and made my nights stay uncomfortable. Nice hotel, clean but they need to address this matter.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple