“Big portions of tasty food”

The River Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 317 Restaurants in Limerick
Price range: US$18 - US$42
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The River Restaurant at the Limerick Strand Hotel offers a truly special dining experience overlooking the magnificent River Shannon. An emphasis on fresh, seasonal produce all of our food is traceable and where possible we use locally sourced produce. Our team, the menus, the setting and above all the food ensure that The River Restaurant is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Limerick. Tom Flavin Executive Chef awarded 'Best Chef Limerick' at the Irish Restaurant Awards 2013 & 2014. Best Breakfast 2014, Hotel Catagory 2014 Georgina Campbell Awards.
Reviewed 30 August 2012

On the positive side you cannot fault the friendly service and portion sizes which were very large by my English standards. The food also tasted very nice but personally I would prefer to see a bit more refinement and work on presentation and less food on the plate. The lamb came close but other plates (beef duo and veg spring rolls) were very “country like”. Having said that quality was good and we enjoyed our evening. Next time I might ask for a kiddie’s portion.

1  Thank GH24

Reviewed 22 July 2012

When this hotel and restaurant first opened the food and service was very good. I have eaten here regularly over the past 12mths and each time it gets worse. The service is poor and very slow and on the last occasion we have had to leave our food behind as it was inedible and disgusting. I am not a picky person but I have to say this place needs to seriously improve before I would go back. It is a pity as it is in a lovely location with great views.

5  Thank rua25
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We booked sunday lunch for 3adults.We did not realize that it was a buffet style and hadn't been told this when I booked.Thoughts of warming food on holidays abroad sprung to mind as we sat down.How wrong we were.Everything is laid out and beautifully presented.There was cold meats,prawns,salmon and plenty of salads and fruit.The mains had chicken,fish,and meat.the desserts were to die for.My only gripe is that a lot of the starters were smothered in salad dressing and that the veg for the mains were all mixed in together and I hate cauliflower and it's very hard to pick out the veg you do like when the queue is standing behind you waiting.!!!!
Great value for money and the food was really yummy.Staff very attentive and Peter the manager was very nice.Will definitely go back and would highly recommend it to friends.Another plus is that you can sit and chat for as long as you want and as there is only one sitting there isn't anyone hounding you to move and leave the table.

2  Thank everlovin
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My self and my wife at beautiful meal in the strand hotel limerick. The restaurant was quite with four other couple dinning the food was lovely and the service was excellent. Staff was very helpful and friendly

1  Thank diggybaby71
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

After reading the previous comments, i'm nearly convinced that i have no more to commend the river restaurant for! It was great to be received in such a contemporary, chilled out atmosphere accompanied by a delicious high quality meal for such a reasonable price! The staff were very hospitable and Peter, whom i think was the restaurant manager, regularly attended to us to make sure he could offer us only the best service! The River is definitely somewhere ive already started recommending my friends to. As for myself, all i have to say is that its a pity i dont live in Limerick so i'd be able to dine there more!

1  Thank Ceekayy