“Absolutely terrible”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Limerick, Ireland
“Absolutely terrible”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

It's a bad sign when the management don't want to serve the customer!? Myself and a friend arrived there for a chat and tea and it was terrible. The seating area in the bar looks like a makeshift retirement home. Bits of bread or scone crumbs on the floor. Few dirty tables. The smoking area is absolutely filthy an the seating out there is in serious need of up dating. The toilets are smelly (male) the soap is empty. That bin under the hand drier I've never seen empty. Very poor for a city hotel with such history in the city of limerick. Not impressed at all.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Giveroffacts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Shanahoe
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This is one of the less expensive hotels in Limerick and good value. It is very central literally a three minute walk to both train station and city centre. There is a large bar and restaurant. My room was very big but maybe a little on the cool side. I did not notice heating coming on at any time.

Breakfast was very good with quality products used. Good to see the hotel is not cutting back by using cheaper cuts etc. Service was friendly and prompt.

The hotel also has free parking just around the corner in a secure car park.

Will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Limerick overnight.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street as traffic noise is evident in the morning
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Chris O
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here on February 28th and despite some poor reviews, I entered the place with an open mind. Car parking was excellent. It was in an underground park just across the road and around the corner. it was protected by a key-pad gate. It is free for guests.
Reception lady (very friendly) said that she could give me a room there and then ( I had arrived early), but I would get a better one if I waited about an hour. I did and she stowed our luggage. We visited the lovely Hunt museum while we waited. When we returned, everything was ready and we were given two key cards (I hate it when you have to ask for the second one).
The lift was efficient, if a little mesmerising. You get in one side and out another.
Room was on the second floor and overlooked the entrance. It was large and had tea/coffee making facilities. Bathroom was spacious. Shower was over the bath with a shower curtain (which didn't cling ). The shower head was fixed and I always prefer a removable one.
Went down to the spacious bar and had a few drinks. That was the first time I got the foul smell that I had read about. It was faint and after a few minutes unnoticeable. I don't know if it was the hotels fault, because I got the same smell every now and then as we walked around the city.
The bar had a good atmosphere and I enjoyed some late drinks and music and dancing later that night.
Breakfast was good next morning and checkout was seamless.
We were happy with our stay there. We got a very good deal price-wise and would be reluctant to look at different options when I next visit Limerick

Room Tip: I don't know if it matters, but I was very happy on the second floor over the entrance.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wearb
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 6 nights, the staff couldn't be more friendly. Rooms are basic but location and price are spot on. There is a great buzz in the bar nearly every night with a band or singer playing and packed with locals, there is also free underground parking across the road. One thing I would say is there is an unusual smell in certain areas of the Hotel that they need to address and it features a lot on trip advisor but don't let that put you off stating here!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank logginsirl
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I was here for a family reunion and having read the reviews on Tripadvisor, I wasn't exactly excited about the hotel! When we arrived we were after some food and went into the bar to enquire, we were told we could have some sandwiches as long as they were simple (no more than 2 ingredients) and cold. At 2 o' clock in the day this was completely unacceptable resulting in us refusing to spend further money in the restaurant. We then made our way up to our rooms and I couldn't get over the smell, it was horrendous! We were situated on the first floor and myself and my grandmother were nearly ill walking to our room each time! Room was basic and toiletries etc available if needed! The food was awful at the function and the staff were even worse. Not quite sure whether the woman who was helping that night was in charge but she was so out of order and rude that I'd be shocked if she still has a job there! Manners don't cost a thing and she should really look into getting some of them! Outright awful to my father and other members of my family! I can't even put into words how angry this woman made me! We were nothing but polite and were treated awfully by one particular person! I would NEVER put a foot back into the place even if I was paid! We've contacted the head of Best Western and hope to get it sorted!!!

Room Tip: AVOID THIS HOTEL IF POSSIBLE!!!!! Otherwise try not stay on the first floor, smell is awful!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sk186

Travellers are raving about these Limerick hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel itself was ok but it was located close to the market, restaurants, and bars. There is also a convenient store on the corner and a casino across the street. The staff was friendly and helpful. I visited Ireland with my aunt for 5 days so we didn't spend much time in the room since we rented a car and drove to a Dingle and Kerry (well worth the trip). Train station nearby.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
worcs
Reviewed 24 December 2013

we stayed at perrys while on business in limerick 0n the 13-14 december the hotel was first class the rooms were ok .one thing that let the place down was a bad smell in the corridor like a blocked or leaking drain .they need to get this investigated by a plumber as it was a bit off putting the room was ok though and the facilities were good and I would go back

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends