“Good value near the centre of Limerick”
Review of Pery's Hotel

Pery's Hotel
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Good value near the centre of Limerick”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights last weekend.

We were allocated a room on the first floor overlooking the front of the hotel - see below. The room was a good size and looked like it had been recently furnished with a modern look.

We paid for breakfast when booking. At 5 Euros each it represented excellent value offering fruit juice, tea/coffee, cereals, yogurts, soda bread as well as a range of the usual hotel breakfast items. It filled us up for the day!

The location around the hotel is quite quiet during the day and a five minute walk from O'Connell Street, which is the main shopping area and also from the River Shannon. Free, secure overnight parking is available in the casino across the road from the hotel.

The hotel prides itself on its friendly service and we did find staff helpful, particularly Brian on reception.

We did have an issue with noise from the bar which is open until 1am at weekends and nightclub which was open until 2.30am on Saturday but this was resolved with the hotel. Still, if you are planning an early night at the weekend insist on a room away from the front of the hotel.

Overall, for the price paid, around 56 Euros per night including breakfast, we felt that it represented very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the hotel if you want a quiet night at the weekend
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bestwestern_perys, Front Office Manager at Pery's Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I would like to express my genuine thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do appreciate that our hotel can be noisy at the weekends due to it's central location and internal entertainment. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can a quiet room for all future stays. Thanks again. Your feedback is always welcome and very much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

BEST WESTERN Pery's Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I was in Limerick city for one night and booked Best Western for the stay as it is in a perfect location. I got to reception and the lady there was lovely and helpful. Got my key for the room and found it was not working so a member of my party went to get another. The key problem, was only the beginning, the door would not open so I got moved to another room. When I got inside I noticed straight away that the motor for the fans or something like that was right outside my window and very loud, and the room was next to the lift and every move up and down could be heard very clearly. I decided to use the toilet and was disgusted, there was either vomit, or something else brown, splashed all over the seat, I got a wet piece of tissue to clean the seat as I needed to use it and what came off in the tissue made me nearly loose my breakfast, the whole seat was covered in fake tan and the tissue came off brown. The toilet had obviously not been cleaned before my stay!!! In my experience "if it looks clean don't bother to waste your time cleaning it as no one will notice" is the WRONG attitude ANY cleaning staff should have. I went to bed later that night when I got back to my room and discovered hairs on the sheet! had the bed been changed????? I do have to finish this off in some sort of good note as the staff were very nice and helpful but someone needs to either hire new housekeeping staff or re-train the ones there as the level of cleanliness was unacceptable, the toilet wall and radiator was splashed in the same brown spots also!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your honest review of our hotel. I am truly sorry that you encountered so many issues during your stay. I would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. I have taken on board your valuable feedback and i will personally ensure that these issues are immediately addressed and rectified. I really hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future so that i may change your negative view of our hotel and offer you a positive experience instead. Please feel free to contact me directly so that i can offer you the relevant compensation and hopefully re-instill your confidence in our hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

BEST WESTERN Pery's Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Limerick hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

7 out of 12 guys came a day early for our week long golf trip. We arrived about 10:30am on Sunday and the front desk couldn't have been more friendly. They stored our bags and golf bags. We asked if a pub in town was opened. They said on Sunday, they didn't open until 12:30pm. She said she would open up the bar for us. Well, we had quite a few pints and whiskeys. We went walking around town at 12:30 and had fish and chips near the hotel.

Rooms were clean and nice. If you don't go in expecting a Marriott or Hilton property, you will enjoy your stay.

About 2pm, we were sitting in the lobby and the front desk said our 7 rooms were ready. She offered us breakfast for €5 more a night and we said yes. Rooms were only $65 US. That is the only meal we had. Buffet style and not too bad.

We really enjoyed the location. It was awesome. We sat on the patio having pints and cigars. AAA+++

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Bestwestern_perys, Front Office Manager at Pery's Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. I am truly delighted that you really enjoyed your stay with us. I do remember your golfing group and I must say you that were a lovely and funny group and it was a pleasure looking after you during your stay. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip in Ireland. Thanks again.

Regards,

Valerie
birmingham
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

With a tour group , I expected the food to be of a average quality as you usually find this on tours, was not expecting the food to be so poor I had to eat out , friends called to be told everyone was at dinner , we'll no we was not so maybe you should have tried my room and not presumed I was . Toilets in reception was filthy and found to be the same through my stay , asked for extra tea and got told my room will be cleaned and felt I was unable to have any extra , I would not return and would not recommend to anyone , staff tried there best with what they had to work with.your best to try else where , you have been warned !.

Stayed July 2014
Good Morning,

I really do appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. However I am a little disappointed having read some of your comments. I would like to assure you that we take all guest feedback very seriously and I will be following up on your feedback directly with all departmental managers. While I truly appreciate your valuable feedback, it would have been better if you had communicated these issues during your stay so that we may have had the opportunity to rectify them immediately.

I must say that I am truly surprised that you found the food to be so poor as generally we get really positive feedback regarding our evening dining. We have a British tour series that stay with us for four nights every week throughout the summer and I have a mountain of feedback cards from these guests who give us great compliments on our food. However I am sorry that the food was not to your standards during your stay.

Should guests have visitors call to the hotel, we make every attempt to locate the guest for them. The first course of action is to telephone the guests bedroom. Should we get no answer, we then proceed to search for them in the bar or restaurant. If we are still unable to locate the guest, we then offer to relay a message on to the guest. I find it very unfair that you would assume that our front office team did not try to locate you or that they would give out incorrect information on your whereabouts.

I am truly sorry that the lobby toilets were in your view not up to standard. We have housekeeping staff scheduled to tend to the lobby toilets at regular intervals throughout the day. However as I'm sure you can appreciate, these are public toilets and there is a lot of traffic throughout the day. On many occasions, I have witnessed a housekeeper literally just finish servicing the toilets and within minutes, I have received feedback from customers to say that they require attention. I would like to assure you that these toilets are cleaned and serviced regularly.

I am truly sorry that you were made to feel that you could not have extra teabags. To be honest I am most surprised to read this comment. If you read back through previous reviews, the front office team generally receive the most positive feedback overall. However I have spoken to the front office team just to ensure that this matter is immediately addressed and rectified.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback. I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future so we may have another opportunity to exceed your expectations and ensure that you have a positive experience. As a sincere gesture I would like to offer you a discounted rate and free breakfast on your next stay.Please feel free to contact me directly to avail of this offer.

Many thanks indeed,

Sawtell, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel average, bad wifi in room, on third floor. Had to go to reception area to connect successfully. Spoke to reception but she was not really concerned. Location good for restaurants and walking to inner city sight seeing.
Room was basic, large bathroom, limited bath supplies eg no soap only bath gel and liquid soap in dispenser at hand basin. Towels were hard and had past used by date.
Breakfast was good, although service was ordinary.
We were lucky with parking on street, right out front as it was Sunday and free parking until Monday 9.30am, otherwise they will accommodate your parking around corner part of the casino parking, with a signed slip.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank barb1958
Dear Barb,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I truly appreciate your valuable feedback. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulties with our free WIFI system. I know that the WIFI we currently use is not the most user friendly and we are receiving some negative feedback from other guests. We are in the process of changing providers in order to rectify this issue. I have also taken on board your comment relating to the towels. I have communicated your feedback directly to the housekeeping manager for follow up.

I am happy that our city centre location was convenient for your needs. As you mentioned, we do offer complimentary parking in our secure underground carpark located just opposite the hotel.Thank you once again for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back again soon. Have a lovely day.

Kindest regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in by a lovely attentive and friendly receptionist but alas this is where the story turns. The room was dated and worn out and the staff in the bar were very off putting. When I went to order bar food the barman enquired " if I was all right ? " and then walked away!!!! Customer care at its best. The food was poor as indeed was the breakfast, little choice , and tasteless. Cleanliness was very bad , as for the state of the towels the less said the better. Sorry to say but I won't be back

• Stayed July 2014
Bestwestern_perys, Front Office Manager at Pery's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Liam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is so important as it will help us to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future. I am genuinely disappointed that you encountered so many issues during your stay. However I am happy that you received a positive welcome from our front office team. I have communicated your feedback regarding the service and food directly to the food & beverage manager who will be implementing the relevant changes to improve this area with immediate affect.

We are an older hotel and I do appreciate that there are some areas requiring improvement. We are phasing in a refurbishment in all areas of the hotel, some of which are complete and other areas such as the guest rooms which are still in progress. I would love nothing more than to carry out an immediate refurbishment of the entire hotel however as I'm sure you can understand, this is simply not feasible for us.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I do hope that you will consider staying with us in the future so that we may have another opportunity to make your stay more positive and pleasant. If you do plan to stay in the future you can contact me directly and I will organise a discounted rate for you. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance on the matter, please feel free to contact me directly.

Many thanks,

Fargo, ND
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First of all, this is the cheapest place that we stayed at during our 2 week trip around ireland. That is a huge plus!

After staying at a lot of B&Bs, I was excited to finally stay at a hotel. However, this hotel seemed outdated and in desperate need of renovations. It's a 2* hotel to me.

Again, it's good enough for the price, but it was my worst stay out of 7 different hotels/B&Bs in Ireland.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bestwestern_perys, Front Office Manager at Pery's Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Alyssa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I truly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continuously improve our standards ensuring a memorable stay for all of our future guests. I am very disappointed at some of your comments, especially the one where you would only rate us as two star. While we are one of Limerick's oldest hotels, I really do feel that rating us as a two star is a little harsh although it is your opinion. We provide free wifi, free parking and offer an excellent city centre location. Onsite we have Tait's Bar & Restaurant offering exceptional value and delicious hearty cuisine.

As you have already mentioned, our rates are extremely competitive considering all of the additional services our guests are receiving as mentioned already. I know that we are not a luxurious modern hotel. We do not claim to be. However what we do have to offer is a warm & friendly welcome. Guests can expect a unique & memorable experience with a personal touch. This in my view is far more important that anything else. We care about our customers! Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. I do hope that you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Regards,