“Appalling Customer Service.”

Greenhills Conference and Leisure Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 20 June 2014

A pity there isn’t an option of giving Zero stars as this would have deserved that score.
On June 2nd, I booked 2 rooms at this Hotel for Thursday June 19th as we wished to go to the advertised dance at the hotel on that night. The booking was made through the Official hotel website using the event specific page of the website. I, reasonably, assumed that if there was a problem with the event taking place that I would be informed. Just to be sure, I even checked the hotel website on the before we set off and the event was still advertised.
The other couple arrived at the hotel at approx. 3.30 p.m. only to discover that there was no dance. As I had made the booking, they waited until I arrived about an hour later. On arrival I took the matter up with reception. I informed them that I had made the booking through the event specific page but was informed that it was not flagged as an event booking!! Why the hell have an event page on which a booking can be made without it flagging that it was event specific. Madness !!!
We were still willing to stay for the night if the hotel had made a gesture, a simple complimentary main course in the restaurant to in some way compensate us for cost incurred on the wasted journey would have been sufficient. Unfortunately however, we were met with an appalling “Tough, but not our problem” attitude. An offer was made of an unspecified deal for a future Thursday night dance. A lot of good that was as the couple that arrived before me were informed that THERE WERE NO MORE THURSDAY NIGHT DANCES. A classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Even more intriguing is the fact that there is still an event advertised for Thursday July 3rd yet, when I checked the artist’s Official website there is NO mention of him appearing anywhere on July 3rd.No surprise there I suppose.
While the attitude I encountered might be expected, but not acceptable, at a hotel of a large chain it was surprising to find it at a family run hotel which one would expect to be more “user friendly” It has resulted in the hotel not only losing out on the revenue of the two rooms for the night but losing 4 customers for life (we had all eaten there previously, separately, on different occasions).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SteveOC_9

Reviewed 19 June 2014

stayed 1 night was very comfortabe, staff were v helpful at reception bar staff not so friendly, service was v slow but food was lovely room was comfortable was near enough to everywhere. would definetly stay here agin the girl on reception stood out for me she was extremely helpful and friendly. price for the night was very good and you could use sauna and gym which was fabulous...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Yvonne797
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights with my partner. Loved it from the moment we walked in the door. We had a wonderful meal on the first night and it was so nice we had it the second night too. The room was small but so cosy. Decorated beautifully. I would defo stay here again. The bar staff were such nice people especially. Thanks greenhills it was a pleasure

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I wasn't expecting much from this hotel. It's on the road from Shannon Airport and I kind of expected it to be motel-ish with few staff and unimaginative food, perhaps a bit noisy as it's on the main road, and so many of the hotels along here have become tired and run down. I was there for a wedding reception, something that usually produces boring food and late night noise.
Well - I was wrong. Easy to access, plenty of parking, efficient checkin, free wifi all over the premises and in rooms. Good shower, warm but not stuffy room, good bed, and good attention to security - card access to rooms and corridors.
The food at the wedding was outstanding. Beef that was tender and moist, fish (hake) was good according to my partner, deep fried Brie with chili sauce was yumm, dessert was 3 items all delicious. I have never seen a wedding dinner at a hotel where all the plates went back pretty well licked clean. Staff were attentive (some Irish, some foreign) and offered more.
I went to bed relatively early (1-ish) but heard no noise either from the dance floor or from the road traffic.
Surprised, and well impressed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed with friends when visiting Thomand Park for the rugby.

Hotel is 15 minute dander to the ground which is ideal but is a fair distance walk into town.

Room was clean and bed very comfortable only issue was the temperature tap in the shower didn't work but as the shower was hot it didn't matter!

Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but when asking to book a taxi however they did seem a little put out by the request. I have seen other reviews mention this so there must be some other secret way of booking taxis in Limerick!

Breakfast in the hotel was excellent and very tasty and the waitresses were fantastic very attentive and bubbly especially for early morning.

Very good price, nice staff will stay again! Good show!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for one night while over for the marathon. On first impressions the hotel was quite pleasant and the room of reasonable size, clean and tidy. The hotel is quite far out of the city center with little around it apart from a large Tesco at the next exit.

Having dined in the bar and really enjoyed the Hawaiian Burger - excellent burger with good thick chips and recommended - we retired early after a long day and with an early start ahead of us. Shortly after, the guests in the room next door returned and talked and laughed in very loud voices for the next hour or so. This was quite intrusive, but the noise when the toilet was used was loud enough to wake us up - we thought they were in our room!

We managed to sleep by using earplugs (having learned never to travel without them) but it was not what we expected from a hotel of this standard.

The final issue came while trying to leave at 5:45 the next morning - all the doors were locked, reception was unmanned and calling the number advised on the desk elicited no response. Finally we tracked down the night porter setting up the restaurant for breakfast and he very grudgingly and grumpily came to reception to unlock the door and let us out.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for one night and found it overpriced for what it was. Our rate did not include breakfast and although the room was fairly comfortable it was also a bit wear-worn. The hotel is also out of town and you can find much better deals in the city centre for a nicer room, in my opinion. The lady who greeted us at reception was very pleasant and friendly though unfortunately, the customer care went downhill from there. We entered the bar and enquired with one of the bartenders if they were going to be showing a particular match. He was extremely unhelpful replying that he didn't know and the encounter ended there. Another staff member eventually turned on the game for us but we left the bar area shortly after due to a gaggle of noisy children running around the place unchecked. Fortunately, we could watch the game on the tv in our room. Later, we rang reception to ask if a taxi could be called for us as we wanted to venture into the city for a drink (there is nowhere nearby). The 'gent' at reception seemed incredibly put out to have to perform such a task and was similarly grumpy when we arrived to reception for our taxi. Upon returning, we enquired politely if the residents bar was still open. The same man informed us that it wasn't (even though there were two or three men in the bar already drinking) but that we could take some drinks to the room. We were happy to take the drinks to our room though the man was extremely rude and unpleasant throughout the whole transaction. We had a comfortable enough nights sleep. Upon checkout the receptionist, who was not unpleasant, seemed distracted and disinterested and did not enquire as to how our stay was. The free car park was quite good. However, if you're looking for a night out be aware that it costs about 10euro for a taxi into the city centre (and a bit extra on the way home). I personally, will not be returning to the Greenhills.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple