“The place was clean but not much else”
Review of Railway Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Limerick
Railway Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Columbus, Ohio
“The place was clean but not much else”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We were a bit skeptical when we entered this hotel - the room rates were quite cheap. It turned out to be a nice hotel to stay for the night. The staff was very helpful at the front desk and knowledgeable about the local area - restaurants/bars, etc. Breakfast the next day was just average and they were severely understaffed. I felt sorry for the waitress who was running around like crazy trying to keep everyone happy. She did a great job.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here in April with my daughter and returned again in August. Basic no frills hotel. Room is clean. SImilar to B&B accommodations. Pub downstairs is delightdful and we had our breakfasts and dinners there. Family run; friendly; saw same locals both times. It has a nice feel to it. Nothing fancy AT ALL but perfect in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I am currently lying on a bed in the railway hotel. I haven't taken my clothes of as I am afraid to sleep in the bed, it's so dirty. I have already paid but I am considering either just driving home or sleeping in my car. That is how bad the room is! I have taken some photos which I will upload but they don't do justice to the level of filth in the room... I have found several toe nail clippings and other unidentifiable stains on the carpet. The pillow cases are on inside out and the duvet cover is covered in crusty stains!!! There isn't even any shower gel in the shower...

• Stayed May 2011
6 Thank IrishJaneDoe

Travellers are raving about these Limerick hotels

Tipperary,Ireland
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My hotel room was booked for 9.pm, my flight was delayed so rang the hotel of my late arrival, they were very understanding and said to ring the bell if they bar was closed.
Finally arrived at 12.30am & was met by a very friendly manager/owner not quite sure, he offered me an on-suite (even though I found out the next morning there was no hot water) at no extra charge and carried my very heavy cases to my room, two floors up, he also asked if I fancied a cup of tea, to call to the restaurant & he would make me one.

I chose The Railway Hotel because of the very close proximity to the railway station, directly across from the hotel, I was getting a train at 6am.
It was very cheap for the night, it's a basic hotel nothing fancy.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Brid11
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 September 2010

I am in Limerick for a semester of school at UL. I flew in a few days early so I could spend some time getting familiar with the city. I was traveling alone and wanted to stay some where close to the bus station (I had 4 months of luggage) and I wanted to be somewhere safe, somewhere the staff would be willing to offer help if I needed it, advise on travel and the city... and they did all of that and more. I changed my room so I had a street view, I could watch the busses coming and going "listen-in" to people walking under my window. Originally they put me in quieter room off the back... they are so thoughtful and accommodating. All you have to do is ask.

When I emailed them about my arrival they got back to me with information about taking the bus from Shannon airport to the bus terminal, which is just across the street. The breakfasts were great. The locals welcomed me and gave advise on where to visit, where to tour, how to properly drink my first Guinness in Ireland. They told me stories and jokes and sang songs.

Now it feels like my home away from home. I stop in for lunch on my way in or out of town via the bus or train. I will be staying there again this week and maybe a few more times during the semester when I have an early bus in the morning.

If you want the Ritz, this is not it. If you want perfect quiet an anonymity, this is not the place for you. If you want concierge to fluff your pillow and bring ice to your room, you won't find that here either. But if you want to experience Limerick, have a good breakfast, listen to the locals sing some of the nights away... if you have a sense of humor, if you want easy access to the bus and train station, if you want to be a few blocks walk to some of the greatest pubs and music... and if you want to feel part of the community - then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Juliek3317
middlesex
Reviewed 21 September 2010

mybrother and myself stayed here and were very well looked after, the management and staff were very good ,polite and nothing was too much trouble .there is very secure parking at the rear of the hotel. we will be certainly be going back

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank postiecatMiddlesex
Bern
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Good location (next to the railway and bus stations), not too expensive (to irish standards), but very noisy, quite dirty (strong cigarette smell in room , I even found cigarette ashes in the bathroom!) and terrible beds (way too soft)
So if you don't come late or quite early, try something else.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple