“really bad”

Great National South Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 10 January 2014

i am not a fan of bad reviews but this place is shocking
i havent stayed there so cant comment on rooms etc but stopped here for a dinner in the bar with a friend before a meeting else where
to start with it was quite and i still had to go to the bar to find someone to take the order
once taken i asked for two coffees and returned to my seat
but had to back to bar to bring the coffee down myself
the casear salad was truely terrible and wasnt eaten
the mains were some of the worst i have ever gotten anywhere the veg pasta is a joke i was shocked by it and my guest could not eat this bowl of slop
i had the rack of pork which turned out to be two over cooked small pork chops with a side of cold veg and luke warm sauce it took 8 minutes to get a server to come over and when told of the problem it was quite clear this is something they deal with alot from the reaction
will never return and despite leaving a complaint and my contact details was never contacted

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kevin p
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Kevin P,

Thank you for your review and trying our bar food. Unfortunately, it is evident from your review that on the night in question we did not meet the standard expected of our bar food. Moreover, I take your review very seriously as it is not reflective of the general feedback we receive about our bar food.

I would sincerely ask that you contact me directly on 061 487 438 or at dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com so that I might get further details from you to investigate this matter fully.

There are newer reviews for Great National South Court Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and i decided to take a new years eve break at the south court hotel.The room and the staff were great.But the breakfast was horrible.To start with on the first morning we came down to the buffet breakfast around 9.30 the breakfast was was dry and just about warm it was so bad that we did not bother to have a breakfast on the second day and instead whent into the city where we were able to have an edible meal.Day three thought we might try out the breakfast at the hotel again.This time we went down early to see if this improved things .No such luck have you ever tried eating cold runney fried eggs yuk.Also if you do stay at the hotel make sure that they do not put you near the airline crew room they have no consideration for other people and are very noisey shouting and laughing at all hours.I am sorry to be so negative as the staff and the hotel itself is really nice if they could only get the breakfast right and sort out the airline crew it would be a great place to stay.By the way all other meals that we had at the hotel were really good,Do try out the indian food its one of the best i have had in a long time.

Room Tip: Do try to avoid staying any where near the aircrew room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wexster

Dear Wexey,

We welcome all feedback from our guests and thank you for posting your review.

I am glad you found your room and our staff agreeable. Moreover, I have passed your positive comments about our Cream Room Curry House on to our staff as we continue to develop it as an authentic Indian restaurant.

I am sorry that your stay was somewhat disturbed by other guests and noise. We do try as far as is possible to allocate all our guests suitable, quiet rooms and we will continue to be vigilant to excessive noise.

In relation to your experience of breakfast, this is obviously unacceptable to me and I apologise for this. We endeavour to provide a high quality and varied breakfast to suit the needs of our customers. I have spoken to the relevant staff members and continue to monitor our overall breakfast to ensure we meet the best possible standard and your experience is not repeated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for New Year's Eve and should you return to Limerick please contact me on dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com and I will personal arrange your stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

2 adults and 3 chidren in adjoining rooms. Childrens room was fine, our room was very large, end of corridor, but there was an unpleasant smell, probably from plumbing. Room got very hot during the night, difficult to adjust the heating. (better too hot than too cold !) Bedroom furniture in need of update. En suite starting to look a bit shabby and needs updating. Breakfast next morning was good. We stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and it was better then. Probably in need of a bit of renovation now.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cion M

Dear Cion M,

I am grateful to you for taking the time to review our hotel.

While we continue to strive to provide the best possible service to all our customers, it is unfortunate that on this occasion your room was not satisfactory. We have an ongoing schedule of renovation works throughout the hotel which includes the upgrading of all our bedrooms.

I would ask that should you be in the Limerick vicinity and wish to stay with us again that you contact me directly on dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com and I will ensure you and your family stay in our refurbished rooms.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here on Saturday 28th dec 13 with friends from work as we were attending a nearby event. Got parking right outside door (v important when you are female and do not travel light), beautiful entrance, receptionist was lovely, and our rooms were all gorgeous. Could not mark our stay down for anything!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen C

Dear Ellen C,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the South Court Hotel.

I am glad that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Reception staff excellent, room spacious, buffet breakfast better than many, Indian Restuarant excellent. Depending on time of day bar staff sometimes indifferent, other times excellent.
Very convenient to Limerick Hospital, where a relative was ill.
I left my sun specs behind and was phoned within an hour of leaving and assured they are in safe-keeping until I return.
My room 233 was great
So top marks overall for a hotel with an attractive pricing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RiccoShay
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear RiccoShay

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for your kind words.

I am glad you had a comfortable stay and that we were able to locate your glasses. I have noted your comments about our bar staff and have brought them to the attention of the relevant supervisors.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly on 061 487 487 to arrange your return visit.

Best wishes

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I would like to thank the Management and staff for the wonderful time my Wife Son and I at our recent stay they could not have done any more for us and this includes the staff of the bar / restaurant the food was excellent and service very swift I would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: Just ask to be upgraded for free if possible
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Simonireland,

I am grateful to you for reviewing our hotel and sharing your positive experience.

We are continuously striving to provide the best possible service and I have passed your encouraging words about our staff on to our team.

I hope to welcome you to the South Court Hotel again in the near future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on business. Arrived at 10pm. Whilst I was warmly welcomed, when I asked about room service I was to ring down to her. Drinks only. Furthermore, the lift was broken, my room was on the third floor & receptionist told me to take the stairs. I had 3 bags to include my laptop. An offer of help would have been nice...

When I went into my room which was clean & spacious but bizarrely decorated, I saw the room service menu stated it operated until 10.30. I tried phoning reception & the front desk & the room service number but got no reply. I had a quick shower & rang again but got no reply. I had no choice but to get dressed & trek down to the bar. Incidentally passed receptionist chatting on the phone. She never acknowledged me.

When I went into the bar, I passed the restaurant which was busy & food was being carried out from the kitchen. The bar is dark & not at all inviting. The barman who served me, a young guy, was very friendly & helpful and happily prepared me a sandwich. I passed reception again and passed the still chatting receptionist and was once again ignored.

The bed was comfortable and I slept well but was woken very early by halls being vacuumed.

Breakfast was average. The Asian guy was very friendly & helpful, he sourced a newspaper for me. Homemade scones are a nice touch.

Check out was prompt but very impersonal. Wasn't asked if I enjoyed my stay, which would have been an opportunity to pass on my experience.

Maybe reception need to be a bit more customer focused. They could do with following the young barman's example!

• Stayed: November 2013
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Chrystallamp,
Thank you for sharing your opinions.

We're glad you had a comfortable nights' sleep. Hallways are usually vacuumed in the evenings before guests arrive and it is possible the staff member was cleaning a nearby room. Nevertheless, please accept our apologies for the disturbance. We have experienced staff and a regular, customer-centred training programme in place and we invite all feedback from guests.

Our reception desk handles incoming calls to the hotel in the evenings after our customer contact centre closes at 9PM. As it can be busy some evenings, we have a call queuing system in place to alert staff to incoming calls to the desk.

We are perplexed as to why you couldn't get through to reception. To rule out the potential of a systems issue, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 061 487 487 to discuss further and establish your room number.

Kind Regards,