“Highly recommend ”

Great National South Court Hotel
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed last weekend with my friends on a girly weekend, on arrival the receptionist were most helpful and accomodating reccomending to us where to go in limerick etc, we ended up having dinner in the Indian which was very busy and very tasty then took a taxi into the city which was no distance from the hotels location and great nightlife there, buffet breakfast served until late on both mornings was a real plus to us.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear Deirdre M,

I am grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your weekend away and your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and food. I have passed them to our staff as we continue to strive to provide the best possible service to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the South Court in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Worst place I have ever stayed. Ever. Run away as fast as you can. We checked in, dropped our bags at our room and headed to the pub attached to the hotel.
Room - small, okay for the short stay, clean but the door would not lock. We had 4 rooms and it was extremely difficult to get the door to close and lock – totally not safe. It was very annoying.
Pub - nice interior. Staff was nice but didn't seem to know much about alcohol...or being a bartender. Despite that we had a good time. They offered food but we didn't order any. It was early afternoon so there were few patrons in the pub.
We left the pub and headed to Shannon for dinner and shopping. When we got back to the hotel we went to the pub...it was crowded because of a rugby game and then a band showed up to play. A group of guys had a table in a corner and they stared at everyone in the bar. It was extremely uncomfortable. We tried to ignore them...until the one of the girls they were with tried to steal my friend's phone. She put it in her bra (yes, she did). My friend told her that it was his phone and got it back. (She almost didn't give it back!!). This somehow made the group of creepy guys mad. They blew kisses at the girls in our group and made comments. It was annoying.
A little later, some of our group went to bed so we left the table and went to sit at the bar. The bar staff (different from earlier in the day) was apologizing to patrons for the "people" in the bar. They were loud, obnoxious. They had their own door to go out and smoke - no one else could use that door - seriously no one else. I briefly left the pub and heard a guest complaining to hotel employees about the group in the pub.
I headed back to the bar. The employees asked the manager to kick the group out of the pub - he didn't do it. Long story short – patrons were very uncomfortable. I get along with EVERYONE but this group was rude, tried to start fights... We left the pub and retired to our rooms. Around 1:00 AM there was a fight in the parking lot. The group was fighting one another - guys vs. girls. It was crazy. Guests were yelling out the windows of their rooms at the people fighting. Garda showed up...
Most of the people in my group slept with the back of a chair under the doorknob all night. We got up the next day, packed and left but not before we heard more people in the lobby complaining about their stay and what happened the night before...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank citygirlforever

Dear citygirlforever,

Thank you for posting your views of your stay at the South Court Hotel.

I have examined them carefully and discussed them with the relevant members of my team. While I appreciate that on the evening in question there was a disturbance on the hotel premises, I would like to assure you that this was an unfortunate and singular occurrence which was entirely unforseen. I note your comments about our bar staff and can assure you that all staff members in the hotel undergo a continuous training programme in their relevant departments and are supervised by senior staff at all times.

We endeavour to provide our guests with the best possible experience and from your review it is evident that on this occasion that was not the case. I hope that should you be in Limerick again that you would give us the opportunity to demonstrate our hospitality and customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com to arrange a stay.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

stayed here for our college ball last year.
despite the terrible food served in the function room and the rude night porters patrolling the hallways and knocking on doors, we had a super time. very helpful reception staff and lovely bar staff too.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear im_a_teacher92,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the South Court Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your college ball with us and found our staff helpful. Should you be in Limerick again and wish to stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact us on 061 487 487 or www.southcourthotel.com.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

i am not a fan of bad reviews but this place is shocking
i havent stayed there so cant comment on rooms etc but stopped here for a dinner in the bar with a friend before a meeting else where
to start with it was quite and i still had to go to the bar to find someone to take the order
once taken i asked for two coffees and returned to my seat
but had to back to bar to bring the coffee down myself
the casear salad was truely terrible and wasnt eaten
the mains were some of the worst i have ever gotten anywhere the veg pasta is a joke i was shocked by it and my guest could not eat this bowl of slop
i had the rack of pork which turned out to be two over cooked small pork chops with a side of cold veg and luke warm sauce it took 8 minutes to get a server to come over and when told of the problem it was quite clear this is something they deal with alot from the reaction
will never return and despite leaving a complaint and my contact details was never contacted

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kevin p
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Dear Kevin P,

Thank you for your review and trying our bar food. Unfortunately, it is evident from your review that on the night in question we did not meet the standard expected of our bar food. Moreover, I take your review very seriously as it is not reflective of the general feedback we receive about our bar food.

I would sincerely ask that you contact me directly on 061 487 438 or at dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com so that I might get further details from you to investigate this matter fully.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My wife and i decided to take a new years eve break at the south court hotel.The room and the staff were great.But the breakfast was horrible.To start with on the first morning we came down to the buffet breakfast around 9.30 the breakfast was was dry and just about warm it was so bad that we did not bother to have a breakfast on the second day and instead whent into the city where we were able to have an edible meal.Day three thought we might try out the breakfast at the hotel again.This time we went down early to see if this improved things .No such luck have you ever tried eating cold runney fried eggs yuk.Also if you do stay at the hotel make sure that they do not put you near the airline crew room they have no consideration for other people and are very noisey shouting and laughing at all hours.I am sorry to be so negative as the staff and the hotel itself is really nice if they could only get the breakfast right and sort out the airline crew it would be a great place to stay.By the way all other meals that we had at the hotel were really good,Do try out the indian food its one of the best i have had in a long time.

Room Tip: Do try to avoid staying any where near the aircrew room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wexster

Dear Wexey,

We welcome all feedback from our guests and thank you for posting your review.

I am glad you found your room and our staff agreeable. Moreover, I have passed your positive comments about our Cream Room Curry House on to our staff as we continue to develop it as an authentic Indian restaurant.

I am sorry that your stay was somewhat disturbed by other guests and noise. We do try as far as is possible to allocate all our guests suitable, quiet rooms and we will continue to be vigilant to excessive noise.

In relation to your experience of breakfast, this is obviously unacceptable to me and I apologise for this. We endeavour to provide a high quality and varied breakfast to suit the needs of our customers. I have spoken to the relevant staff members and continue to monitor our overall breakfast to ensure we meet the best possible standard and your experience is not repeated.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for New Year's Eve and should you return to Limerick please contact me on dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com and I will personal arrange your stay.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

2 adults and 3 chidren in adjoining rooms. Childrens room was fine, our room was very large, end of corridor, but there was an unpleasant smell, probably from plumbing. Room got very hot during the night, difficult to adjust the heating. (better too hot than too cold !) Bedroom furniture in need of update. En suite starting to look a bit shabby and needs updating. Breakfast next morning was good. We stayed at this hotel a few years ago, and it was better then. Probably in need of a bit of renovation now.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cion M

Dear Cion M,

I am grateful to you for taking the time to review our hotel.

While we continue to strive to provide the best possible service to all our customers, it is unfortunate that on this occasion your room was not satisfactory. We have an ongoing schedule of renovation works throughout the hotel which includes the upgrading of all our bedrooms.

I would ask that should you be in the Limerick vicinity and wish to stay with us again that you contact me directly on dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com and I will ensure you and your family stay in our refurbished rooms.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here on Saturday 28th dec 13 with friends from work as we were attending a nearby event. Got parking right outside door (v important when you are female and do not travel light), beautiful entrance, receptionist was lovely, and our rooms were all gorgeous. Could not mark our stay down for anything!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ellen C

Dear Ellen C,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the South Court Hotel.

I am glad that you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Best wishes,