“Slowly Going Downhill”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Dublin, Ireland
“Slowly Going Downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

When passing through Limerick recently I decided to revisit this establishment and try the bar food. The menu has a selection of European or Indian food. I had a shared starter of BBQ wings which were within a percentage point of being over cooked (deep fried).

Main courses were the Haddock in batter and the burger. The fish, well the only comment was thankfully there was tartar sauce to give it taste! The burger fared no better. It was a good sized burger but devoid of taste. The appeared to be no seasoning making it bland. The accompanying chunky chips were pale and unappetising as if cooked in 'tired' oil.

On the other hand the staff were pleasant (as always) and service prompt. This visit was my fourth or fifth and I have found the standard of food is getting worse. Unless I hear otherwise, this will be my last visit for a long while.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Ardaravan,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your meal in our Boru's Bar, but in truth I am dismayed by it. Both I and our head chef have seriously reviewed your comments and are taking steps to rectify each of the issues that you have highlighted.

That you had such a negative experience of our bar food truly disappoints me as we have taken a number of steps recently to improve our dining experience including the appointment of a new head chef, the opening of the Cream Room Curry House and our bar food menu is currently being reviewed.

I would like to sincerely ask you to contact me directly via telephone on 061 487 438 or, if you prefer, via email at dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com so that I might get more specific details about when you dined with us. Moreover, I would like to invite you to return to dine with us and meet with both myself and our head chef so that you can experience the improvements we are putting in place.

South Court Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Polish first
Cavan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Myself & my sister stayed for 1 night & we were sorry we couldn't have stayed a 2nd night. The staff on reception greated us with a warm friendly smile (which in some hotels is hard to get) & were very helpful & very knowledgeable about the local area. The rooms were clean, spacious & very relaxing, the house keeping staff that we met during our stay never passed without saying "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon", which in these days is sometimes a rareity.There was a great atmosphere around the hotel, the food was beautiful, we also had a few drinks in the bar which was very busy. The Staff are a credit to the hotel! We couldn't fault this hotel & would definately reccommend it to friends & family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear CTEH13,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with your sister . Your comments about our staff, rooms and food are most welcome as we continuously seek to improve all departments.

Please do recommend us and next time I hope you have time for that second night!

Should you wish hear about our special offers or wish to book, please contact us directly on 061 487 487.

Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Hi, my 6 year old daughter was Irish Dancing here on Sun 19th January. Myself and my daughter stayed here for one night on Sat 18th January. I explained I had a disability and I needed a room near where the irish Dancing was on. Room was lovely and clean, Staff were very friendly. Even though it was very busy, we had no issue whatsoever with noise. I would just like to point out 2 things, the first being the Disabled parking, well it was right next to the steps and had no ramp by the Disabled parking so I had to walk over to the other side of the steps, go through some cars and go up that way so I didn't have to do any steps. I just cant see why the Disabled parking could be on the other side of where they are now so you don't have to do steps and it is wheelchair friendly. The 2nd thing I would like to point out is the service was very poor in the bar, even with my disability I had to get my 6 year old to call a waiter after waiting 20mins, we ordered and food was very average to be fair but it came out hot. After dinner the waiter never came near us and I again had to send my 6 year old to get a waiter, even though as this time 5 o clock, it was not busy. The kids menu had Jelly and ice cream and when I asked for this he looked at me and didn't understand, I showed him the menu and he said no we don't do this(THEN WHY WAS IT ON THE MENU)Look other than the 2 issues I had, I would definitely stay here again and next time will try the Indian restaurant. We didn't have breakfast but heard from another friend who was staying there same night that it was lovely.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AoifeBrennach
Dear AoifeBrennach,

I appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your stay at the South Court Hotel.

I thank you for your comments about our staff and rooms. Moreover, I have carefully reviewed your comments about the service you received in our bar. We are continually training and upskilling our staff and by highlighting these issues to us, it enables us to be more focused in the provision of this training. As a consequence I hope, should you return to us in the near future, you will notice a marked improvement.

In relation to your remarks about the disabled parking in the hotel, we are in the process of assessing the feasibility of moving the car parking spaces to a more convenient position. As you aware most likely their are specific width issues but I understand your access concerns and assure you that this is currently under review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the South Court Hotel soon and please do try our Cream Room Curry House! Should you wish to book, please do not hesitate to contact us on 061 487 487.

County Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My partner and I had a really enjoyable stay at the South Court Hotel.

Our room was great, spacious and bright with all mod cons. It was comfortable, warm and relaxing. Even though the hotel was busy with guests, we had no issue with noise in the hallways or from outside the hotel. Before arrival we had made a reservation for dinner in the city centre which is a short 10 minute taxi ride away. We decided after dinner to return to the hotel & there was a fantastic band playing in the hotel bar. The bar was busy but the bar staff were very prompt and the service was great. We met a family from Donegal who ate in the hotels Indian restaurant and said it was excellent. Top marks for the breakfast the next morning too, there was a great selection. Although we arrived towards the end of the breakfast serving we still managed to get fresh hot food from the buffet. Ask the staff anything, they are very friendly and helpful. We will defiantly return for another stay at the South Court, and hopefully get to try the Indian restaurant next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear YelloSunshine,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the South Court Hotel.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us over a busy weekend period. Your comments about our staff and breakfast are most appreciated as we continually seek to upskill and develop these areas.

I hope to welcome you back the South Court in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us on 061 487 487 or www.southcourthotel.com should you wish to book.

Ennnis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed last weekend with my friends on a girly weekend, on arrival the receptionist were most helpful and accomodating reccomending to us where to go in limerick etc, we ended up having dinner in the Indian which was very busy and very tasty then took a taxi into the city which was no distance from the hotels location and great nightlife there, buffet breakfast served until late on both mornings was a real plus to us.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Deirdre M,

I am grateful to you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your weekend away and your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and food. I have passed them to our staff as we continue to strive to provide the best possible service to our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the South Court in the near future.

Best Wishes,

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Worst place I have ever stayed. Ever. Run away as fast as you can. We checked in, dropped our bags at our room and headed to the pub attached to the hotel.
Room - small, okay for the short stay, clean but the door would not lock. We had 4 rooms and it was extremely difficult to get the door to close and lock – totally not safe. It was very annoying.
Pub - nice interior. Staff was nice but didn't seem to know much about alcohol...or being a bartender. Despite that we had a good time. They offered food but we didn't order any. It was early afternoon so there were few patrons in the pub.
We left the pub and headed to Shannon for dinner and shopping. When we got back to the hotel we went to the pub...it was crowded because of a rugby game and then a band showed up to play. A group of guys had a table in a corner and they stared at everyone in the bar. It was extremely uncomfortable. We tried to ignore them...until the one of the girls they were with tried to steal my friend's phone. She put it in her bra (yes, she did). My friend told her that it was his phone and got it back. (She almost didn't give it back!!). This somehow made the group of creepy guys mad. They blew kisses at the girls in our group and made comments. It was annoying.
A little later, some of our group went to bed so we left the table and went to sit at the bar. The bar staff (different from earlier in the day) was apologizing to patrons for the "people" in the bar. They were loud, obnoxious. They had their own door to go out and smoke - no one else could use that door - seriously no one else. I briefly left the pub and heard a guest complaining to hotel employees about the group in the pub.
I headed back to the bar. The employees asked the manager to kick the group out of the pub - he didn't do it. Long story short – patrons were very uncomfortable. I get along with EVERYONE but this group was rude, tried to start fights... We left the pub and retired to our rooms. Around 1:00 AM there was a fight in the parking lot. The group was fighting one another - guys vs. girls. It was crazy. Guests were yelling out the windows of their rooms at the people fighting. Garda showed up...
Most of the people in my group slept with the back of a chair under the doorknob all night. We got up the next day, packed and left but not before we heard more people in the lobby complaining about their stay and what happened the night before...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank citygirlforever
Dear citygirlforever,

Thank you for posting your views of your stay at the South Court Hotel.

I have examined them carefully and discussed them with the relevant members of my team. While I appreciate that on the evening in question there was a disturbance on the hotel premises, I would like to assure you that this was an unfortunate and singular occurrence which was entirely unforseen. I note your comments about our bar staff and can assure you that all staff members in the hotel undergo a continuous training programme in their relevant departments and are supervised by senior staff at all times.

We endeavour to provide our guests with the best possible experience and from your review it is evident that on this occasion that was not the case. I hope that should you be in Limerick again that you would give us the opportunity to demonstrate our hospitality and customer service. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dermot.kelly@southcourthotel.com to arrange a stay.

Sneem, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

stayed here for our college ball last year.
despite the terrible food served in the function room and the rude night porters patrolling the hallways and knocking on doors, we had a super time. very helpful reception staff and lovely bar staff too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear im_a_teacher92,

Thank you for sharing your experience of the South Court Hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your college ball with us and found our staff helpful. Should you be in Limerick again and wish to stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact us on 061 487 487 or www.southcourthotel.com.

Kind regards,