“Family Break”

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Waterford, Ireland
“Family Break”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lovely hotel, spacious rooms, very helpful staff, bar food excellent and well priced, good location, plenty of parking, I would have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxed comfortable break close to city centre and shopping centre.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Susan M,
Many thanks for your review and recommendations!

I hope you and yours had an enjoyable visit to LImerick.

Thanks again and hopefully we can welcome you back at some stage,

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here whilst touring Co. Tipperary, Co, Clare and Co. Kerry researching family history.
Although not in a particularly attractive location the warm welcome we received on arrival soon dispelled any fears we may have had. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Grainne in the Curry House restaurant.
The only niggle we had was at breakfast where empty plates were not cleared leaving the table cluttered at times.

Room Tip: Lifestyle Suites are roomy and the ones overlooking the car park quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Eileen,
Thanks for reviewing us.

I hope you had an enjoyable and successful time exploring your ancestry.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed the accommodation and hospitality at the South Court Hotel. I will pass your kinds words on to Grainne and the team.

Please accept our apologies over the issues at breakfast; I will raise the matter with our restaurant supervisors accordingly.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next visit to the region,

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Do not look at any other hotel in Limerick but this one! It was amazing. The staff were lovely, the room was so beautiful and spacious. The restaurant was fantastic. Overall, this is a great hotel and will not disappoint you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Emily C
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Emily C,
Delighted to hear we exceeded your expectations! We really appreciate the kind words and recommendation.

We hope to welcome you back again at the South Court Hotel,

Newry
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked this Hotel on-line to attend the Special Olympics and did not know what to expect . I was certainly not disappointed . From the first minute I walked thru the front door until I left I cannot praise the very helpful and courteous staff highly enough . If back in Limerick again I will not even consider looking elsewhere .

• Stayed June 2014
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Armaghforsam,
Firstly, I hope you had an enjoyable visit to Limerick for the Special Olympics.

Thanks for sharing your experience and indeed for choosing the South Court Hotel. We value all feedback and really appreciate your recommendation.

Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the not too distant future,

Best Wishes,
Dublin,
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here on Saturday 14th June 2014, with my sister. I travel to Limerick often, and usually stay in a different hotel, but most hotels were booked up, when I went looking for a room overnight.
The South Court, was near where I needed to be, so I booked it.

First impressions were great, the warm friendly greetings we got at reception, from Simone, and her male colleague, who's name I did not find out. They could not have been nicer.

We then made our way up to our room, which was a suite (338), although not a "separate " room, just a larger bedroom, with spacious seating area.
The room was lovely, the bed very comfortable, and everywhere very clean.

The staff friendliness extended to all staff, from the guy that seemed to be in charge of "housekeeping", to the staff in the Boru Bar, where we had an excellent meal that night, to the staff serving breakfast the next morning.

This is probably the biggest asset this hotel has, so well done on the staffing!

The meal we had that night, was also excellent. This was not your "average" bar food. I had simosa's and spring roll for starter, while my sister had chicken wings. For main, I had steak, and mash, cooked to perfection, while my sister had Indian chicken dish. All of which was lovely.

All in all, we had a lovely stay, the only complaint my sister had, was that it was a pity we only booked one night, we would have liked to stay longer!

So well done to all. This is a very good hotel, for a 3 star, and probably better in a lot of ways, then some 4 star hotels.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in Limerick. It's proximity to the Cresent Shopping Centre in Dooradoyle was also a bonus. ( My credit card took a hit)

Dear sillymoonfran,
We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and thanks for sharing such an extensive review.

I've passed your kind words on to our front-of-house and housekeeping staff.

Our chefs are thrilled with your comments on the food, too: it's an area we've worked hard on and are keen to maintain so it's really great to hear feedback.

You mention that you're a frequent visitor to Limerick so hopefully we'll get a chance to welcome you back again soon!

Best Wishes,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here twice in the last year and twice I've regretted it. I've instructed my job never to book this place again.

The first time was on July 4th and they had a MASSIVE party going on in one of the function rooms DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH MY ROOM. The hotel was practically empty and they put me right on top of it. Unbelievable. Didn't get a wink of sleep and wasn't even offered a drink with the party seeing as they had me up anyway!

The second time was on May 3rd 2014 and there was a serious domestic going on next door. Roaring and shouting and the lad in the room banging on my wall threatening to beat me up if I called the cops. When I called down to reception I was told it would be taken care of. It wasn't. It went on for the whole night and my subsequent calls were ignored.

I will never stay here again as twice I've had no sleep going into a 16 hour working day. I wouldn't be a fan of the bar food either. There is way better out there for the same price.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel would be my best advice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dave G
Dear Dave G,
Please accept our apologies. We are disappointed that both stays were unsatisfactory.

It is hotel policy that guests are notified of evening events in our function rooms and that residents are allocated rooms at the other end of the building, where possible, to minimise any potential noise issues.

As your original stay dates back almost a year, it is proving difficult to establish the circumstances which lead to you being allocated a room directly over the function room.

With respect to the incident this year, any reports of disturbances to guests is treated extremely seriously and I'm concerned to hear that this doesn't appear to be the case. As such, I would be interested in discussing matters further. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly in this respect.

Kind Regards,
Kerry
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Stayed in the south court hotel for one night whilst attending the mini munsters dancing competition! Arrived early on the Friday and got a very warm welcome from reception,have to say were very helpful and nice, room was good on checking , nice and clean, had breakfast on the Saturday morning which was fine but I would like to point out that the carpet in the restaurant needs a serious cleaning,very grubby,felt that the bar staff were lacking experience, whilst they done there best, needs to be more organised,the bar in general needs a bit of work, overall our experience at the south court was good,probably stay again next year for the dancing!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
SouthCourtHotel, General Manager at Great National South Court Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Seamus D,
Thanks for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our apologies over your experience at breakfast. The carpet has since been replaced.

We work hard to ensure customer service levels are maintained and I apologise if there were failings in this respect. I'd be grateful if you had a moment to discuss this further as we're keen to address any training issue that may arise. I'm available on 061 487 438.

Once again, thanks for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Limerick sometime soon,