“Nothing special...”

Mortells Delicatessen & Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 300 Restaurants in Limerick
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A family run restaurant in the heart of limerick city. We have probably the best tea and coffee in limerick. We also specialise in fresh irish fish and all our products are homemade on the premises
Dublin, Ireland
“Nothing special...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

I dined in Mortells very recently for lunch as it had been recommended. On entering, the restaurant looks inviting and well-kept. It was empty, as they had more than likely just opened for lunch service moments before. I went towards the back of the restaurant towards the smaller tables as I was on my own. The rear of the restaurant had a strong smell of damp and wasn't anywhere near as modern as the front. That smell immediately threw me off.

Having been approached by a not-so-friendly lady who didn't offer any assistance just a "hello" followed by a blank stare as if to say "can I help you with something?". Having asked for the menu she headed off for a copy, and returned about a minute later with her order pad to take my order - perhaps a little more time to look at the menu would have helped.

I went for the salmon sandwich which in hindsight was slightly over-priced for what it was - a thin darn of salmon, some salad and two slices of shop-bought bread - and for over €8 I thought it was nothing special. Having finished the sandwich I went to pay - no eye contact was made, no small talk - all very cold.

All in all, it seemed like just another deli serving average food.

• Visited June 2012
7 Thank failte89

Limerick, Ireland
“perfect FISH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Went to Mortells for dinner last night I had sole on the bone it was the best fish i had in along time,the atmosphere was simple but who need it with fish that good.The owner and his wife made us feel very welcome.

• Visited May 2012
Ireland
“Just fine, but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had a very ordinary lunch here recently. I hadn't been here for years, but I was surprised that they hadn't improved in the meantime. There was nothing wrong with anything we had, but nothing special either. There are much better options nearby.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Donna O
Belfast
“Best meal I've had in a while”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

If you are looking for a fine dining experience this is not the place for you and if you are looking for a quick meal in a supersized restaurant similar to those on O'Connell Street this is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a restaurant where the counter is deli style, you choose your fish or meat and discuss with the chef how you would like it cooked (in front of you) this is the place to go. I had the steak cooked exactly as I asked for it and my wife had a beautiful fish dish and in both cases the chef was able to tell us the farm the steak came from and how many days it had hung and when and where the fish was landed. In both our cases it was the best meal we have had in a while

• Visited April 2012
“A hidden gem, with the best value breakfast in Limerick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is both a deli and a classy diner. Breakfast can be the full Irish, fresh fish or home baked scones. There is always a buzz and is the place to go to meet real Limerick people . The owner is slightly eccentric but this just adds to the attraction of the place. Also a great spot for lunch.I wish we had a place like this in Galway.

1 Thank MrGalway