“Cheap hotel”

Limerick City Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 2 August 2014

rooms ok . handy cheep hotel if your getting an early flight from Shannon and looking for a few hours sleep or looking for a cheap nothing special stay for a night out... Should improve the bar down stair does not seem to be fully ulitised by hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
LimerickCityHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Limerick City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Gracetipp
Thank you for your review. I notice from the review you stayed with us in April. Since then, the downstairs bar has been closed and we now have a McGettigans Bar on the ground floor. In addition to this, we are starting a refurbishment programme on our bedrooms in the Autumn. At the same time we will still aim to provide value for money accomodation. Of course, it would give us pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future
Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had I not arrived so late in the evening I would have immediately walked right out of this hell hole. The front desk was staffed by personnel that looked like they wanted to be there less than me. They were unfriendly, slow, but managed to check me in.

When I walked into the room it smelled musty and the décor was woefully out-of-date. There were multiple cigarette burns on the bed sheets and floor and the position of the room was next to a busy street with a considerable amount of noise.

All of this would have prompted at negative review, especially for the price, but the worst part was that I woke up the next morning with bed bug bites!! If it's one thing you expect from a hotel, at a very minimum, it's not to wake up with bites all over you due to the cleanliness of the room.

The hotel has unexplainably refused to refund me for that evening's stay. One week later I'm still itching from the bites.

I recommend that NO ONE stay in this hotel for any reason. I can't give it a negative enough review.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
15  Thank JonnyBoyAmsterdam
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed 1 night at the Limerick City and would have happily stayed much longer. We arrived to find that we had been upgraded to a room on the 1st floor overlooking the river. The room was spacious with a balcony and effectively a walk in wardrobe. The Reception and bar staff were extremely attentive and the hotel had what I would describe as a nice feel to it. Everything was spick and span. As we were travelling around Ireland we were marking hotels out of 10 and would have given this hotel a maximum but for breakfast. In marked contrast to the rest of the staff, the breakfast staff were surly and seemed disinterested. It was hard work attracting anyone's attention to get a pot of tea. As we left shortly after breakfast, this was a disappointing end to our stay but definitely a 9 out off 10 experience nonetheless.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony over the river an absolute must!
1  Thank Paul M

Dear PaulM,
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and also for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here and I value your comments about breakfast, which I definitely will investigate. Hopefully, we will have the privilege to welcome you back to Limerick City Hotel again.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Well I had the pleasure of a last minute get away with my partner. I settled on Limerick city hotel because of its easy access and convenience to city centre. On arrival the hotel had no record of my booking through trivago with the company otel.com. I must commend the lovely lady in reception who dealt with our problem professionally and quickly. Within 10 mins she had tracked down our booking but I think myself she did not have the full details as was not sure if it was b&b or room only or if we had prepaid(which I had) this was all a bit worrying. We got our room then. The rooms are basic but clean (except for an old pair of dried up contact lens on bedside locker). When we went for breakfast the following morning we were told breakfast was not paid for (but I had) the girl told us to work away while she checked it out but never came back to tell us whether they had cleared a problem which I had confirmed with lady in reception the evening before. Overall the staff were friendly but through no fault of theirs my overall experience was far from relaxing. I wont be using Trivago again to book anywhere!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheresaMill
LimerickCityHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Limerick City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear TheresaMill Cork
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your break, but we are sorry that you had a problem with your booking through Trivago with Otel.com. I am pleased that our Front Desk staff were able to rectify the problem and hopefully this did not distract too much from the enjoyment of your stay. Rest assured we have already raised this issue with Trivago. Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you to Limerick City Hotel again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The room we got overlooked a parking lot the bed had a slight leveling issue as you head was a bit lower than your feet but what is a pillow used for . The tub was slippery and my wife had an accident using it and the front desk did not have any headache pills . but we survived . The hotel across the street from a park on the Shannon River we had a great walk including the old bridge .Breakfast was very good and the supper one night was average . For Canadians - there is a Tims across the street at a Spar location .

Room Tip: Ask for room on the river side

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for writing a review as we appreciate feedback from our guests. We are delighted that you enjoyed walks along the River Shannon. Our hotel is ideally situated for this activity. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meals here, but unfortunately our Front Desk staff were unable to give you headache pills basically on the grounds of medical practice.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel was excellent for the money we paid. The room was spacious and clean and the staff were friendly. Parking however isn't free. There is a service available at the back if the hotel where you can park your car for 7.50 a night and it is safe. Its an ideal location for shopping or going out as its only a 6 minute walk to all the clothes shops etc. We got food in the bar in the hotel and I couldn't find fault with any of it. The portions were big the food was delicious and very reasonably priced and the staff were lovely I would definitely go their for food if I was only on a day trip in limerick. Overall I would definitely recommend to a friend as a getaway or for a hen or stag. Only problem with the hotel is that you can hear traffic from the road at night.

Room Tip: rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
LimerickCityHotel, General Manager at Limerick City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Rachel O,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you were satisfied with the service from our staff and happy with the facilities we provide. It will give us pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel in the not to distant future.

Kind Regards'

Callum McBreen
The Limerick City Hotel

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The room for me was very spacious, with big sofa and double bed. I'm satisfied enough for the facilities.
The location is supposed to be right at the centre, but there's still some distance from the hustle and bustle of the main street or the beauty of the Shannon River.
Unfortunately I was given a room facing the "back" of the hotel--a really old building as a car park. I don't like this "view" honestly. Get a room facing the river--if there's a chance.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
LimerickCityHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Limerick City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are pleased that you found are facilities
satisfactory. We staff and management always strive to achieve high standards and we
always appreciate feedback from our guests. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards,