“Very Disappointing”

Black Fig Bistro
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: "...This is man-sized food, for real people who want to be fed, not teased" - 'tasteofireland review.'118 O'Connell St has always been a good place to eat. Now its even better with Head Chef Noel Keane cooking up lovely classics such as Moules Marinere and Crispy Pork Belly. Our range of freshly made homemade desserts changes each day depending on whats fresh and available. We're open in the morning for breakfast from 10am, serving everything from a classic full Irish to freshly made scones and coffee. Our lunch menu is available from 12pm and we serve our fab dinner menu from 18:00. Give us a call today to secure your booking.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

we didn't find our meal good, there were 5 of us. 3 starters were shredded duck but what was on the plate was fatty sliced duck that didn't taste too nice,2 other starters were only ok, main course of Malaysian Curry was bland and overall presentation wasn't great, steak was ok and cod was just ok, thai red curry tasted nice but nothing special. Selection of desserts was poor, there was agood selection to choose from for starter and main course but then just 4 desserts to choose fromand they were pretty basic. the bill was confusing with lots of supplenents when ordering from the evening menu and there were no explanations next to the charges, there were 5 of us , think the duck and steak had supplements which is fine but it would help if the bill was clearer. Overall not a great meal which was disappointing as have heard other good reviews. Don't think any of the 5 of us would return.

Laois
“Wont be buying a Groupon for Black Fig again!”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We bought a Groupon for a 4 course Evening meal, we arrived at the restaurant and were greeted by a somewhat grumpy lady. She seemed to be fed up with the groupon voucher deal.
Our started arrived within in minutes of ordering. I had ordered a Crab & Mango salad which seemed to be just covered with onion. THe rest of the groups starters were quite nice.
For the main course we got steak , lamb & lasagne. My steak was beautiful, very delicious indeed. My friend who had ordered the lasagne had to send this back as it was cold on the inside, obviously it had been microwaved.
Dessert was absolutely gorgeous, cannot say a bad word about this!
Overall the meal itself was quite nice but the service was very disappointing and we actually felt like we were getting watched for the night by the waitress, i dont think we got the standard service as we had a voucher.

4 Thank T-bert
Limerick, Ireland
“WHAT happened in the last week to black fig?!”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Tonight was my third visit to black fig. First time great, second time great and tonight was nothing short of terrible! SOOO disappointed. I ordered things i had or friends had before and it was honestly like a different restaurant. The mussles had no flavor, the trout had a grey-ish, watery pea puree (compared to a gorgeous, bulky, colorful minty puree the previous visit) and fish over cooked. The lamb was flavorful, but the mashed spuds had almost a crust on them from sitting there, or being re heated too long ago, def not fresh. The Tarte tatin was not a tart, it was a cake type thing mixed in a glass with custard and little or no apples. The chocolate brownie wasn't a patch on the time before. When i complained about the fish dish, the waiter said " oh dear, i'm sorry". And that was the end of that! couldn't believe it! Felt sorry for the two waiters, as it was not their fault, and they were pleasant enough. I recommended this place to loads of my friends, and several bought groupons, and i'm MORTIFIED now!!!! HOW can there be such a change in such a short space of time?! very disappointed.

5 Thank NiamhyBeag
Limerick, Ireland
“Good food, good prices.”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I went here with two friends and from start to finish the food was great! also the wine is nice and reasonably priced, too. tempura prawns were excellent, and the trout was gorgeous. i'd love to see this place do well, i think there were some teething problems, service was a bit below par, but the food will save this place, i think! great steak, too!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank NLIMERICK
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Yum and fun! A great place if you're new to Limerick.”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was my first trip to Limerick, so I was a bit nervous about visiting somewhere that I hadn't been to before. But fortunately (as it turns out) a friend of mine who's from the area recommended The Black Fig, describing it as ‘charming and quintessentially Irish’. As I was looking for somewhere with a real local feel rather than the kind of cheesy Irish pub you might find in mainland Europe, this sounded like the place for me. He warned me that as it was still quite new I might find it a bit rough around the edges, so I went expecting somewhere vaguely rustic with a bit of Irish charm but with no real expectations on the food.

Boy was I wrong! The Black Fig is absolutely the real deal when it comes to Irish charm (as the other reviewer unkindly pointed out, there were plenty of candles on the tables, which I love!), BUT the food is fantastic. There’s just the right amount of choice - not so many options that you have to send the waiter back 6 times before placing your order, but not so little that you have to settle for something you don’t like – and the food itself is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. It’s not what I would call traditional Irish cuisine, but when you’ve tasted their prawn tempura you simply won’t care.

The steak was just as I like it – nice and rare – and I think it’s fair to say that the potato cake gave it an unusual (and yes, Irish!) twist. I couldn’t stomach a dessert after all that, but my partner’s didn’t seem to touch the sides, so I’m pretty sure he enjoyed it. Good thing seeing as I was footing the bill...

The staff were lovely and up for a laugh and the atmosphere was cosy and inviting. Only thing missing was a goody bag for some takeaway dessert. Maybe next time...

• Visited December 2011