“Don't leave anything behind!”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Dublin, Ireland
“Don't leave anything behind!”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for 2 nights the last weekend of November. Our initial impressions were that the room was large and comfortable, food good, moreso in the bar than the restaurant, and during our time there, we both felt the staff we dealt with to be excellent. In fact, I would have given this Hotel a Very Good rating if it were not for what took place AFTER we checked out.

We had bought a new Digital camera just 2 days before our trip to Limerick and in fact the thing was hardly out of its box that weekend and we did not take it out of the room. Unfortunately, when we checked out, we left the camera sitting in its open box on the table beside the TV. We only realised this when we unpacked when we got back to Dublin that evening. It included 2 software discs for the camera, instruction manual and a USB cable.

My girlfirend immediately called the hotel to inform them that we had left the camera in the room. The phone was answered by an extremely unhelpful member of staff. Without even really listening to my girlfriend he immediately informed her that the rooms had not been cleaned yet and she should call back the next day after 2pm! When she tried to tell him where the camera would be, so the cleaning staff would be able to spot it immediately, he again just repeated that she should call back after 2pm the next day. So, my girlfirend came off the phone feeling extremely annoyed with this guy. Fearing she would just get the same guy again if she called back, she resolved to call back the next morning and not after 2pm!

On doing so, she dealt with a more helpful member of staff who agreed to call her straight back once the room was checked. True to her word she did, but informed us that the camera was not in the room. We were very disappointed by this as we knew that we had left the camera on the table beside the TV in that room. Sometime between us leaving the room and it being cleaned, it had vanished! The staff member told us she would ask Housekeeping to call us when she got back to work in 2 days time.

My girlfriend, feeling very aggreived at this stage, as I was myself, called back again the next day to complain and dealt again with a friendly member of staff who said they would get a manager to ring us. A day later someone did ring us but really we were on a beaten docket and never really got anywhere.

Initially the fault is no-one's but out own in leaving the camera in the room at the end of our stay. However, we were bitterly disappointed by the initial response of the hotel later that evening when we informed them and also by the fact that the camera disappeared from a locked room.

Morale of the story I suppose is, make sure you take that extra look around when checking out, otherwise you may not see your stuff again! Nice stay made very bad.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Commandante
Tom S, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review - overall it seemed to be a very positive stay - as you mentioned that the hotel was confortable with excellent staff. I am however disappointed to read your comments with regards to your camera. There was an investigation into this and I can assure you that the room was checked and rechecked having received your calls. I know you have been speaking with our Management here and I am sorry that you feel that the respose has been insufficient.
Regards
Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
kildare
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Great staff, made feel very welcome with our 22 month old. We went midweek November so was lovely and quiet and we were able to have our dinner in the lobby instead of the bar by the open fireplace which was very cosy. The pool is tiny but we had it all to ourselves so we felt great. Little teething things like not enough towels in the bathroom for three and the baby cot wasn't in the room and not enough decafs etc but rectified immediately when asked for them all, nothing was too much trouble. Very good value break at €49 for us all so can't really complain for this money. Also I find it very difficult to get skimmed milk, decaf and low low in hotels these days and they had all three which was great!!! I really like the spread for breakfast too as they had all the extra condiments you could ask for and then had things like honey and lemon which was great for me as was suffering from a sore throat so all these little extras came in very handy. The only issue was two very rude drunken women that came in at 4am and woke us all up including the baby. This is out of the hotel's control of course but as soon as I called down they were up to them to shut them up. Then I was given abuse at 4am in the morning from them in my PJ's in the middle of the hall when I asked them to be quiet and the following morning they banged our door on the way out, which was extremely childish and frightening for the baby. I hope they read this and realise their idiotic behaviour and will hopefully think twice about it next time they stay in a hotel. But again I can't blame the hotel for this, it was a circumstance that happened.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
RadissonLim, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to write you positive review. I am delighted that you felt we offered great value for money and that the food and service from our staff were well received. We hope that you will return in the future and keep an eye out for our special mid term Family Breaks.
Cork
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed at the hotel recently for three nights with my partner and overall I was happy. It isn't our first time staying at the hotel and it probably won't be our last. The rooms are lovely and comfortable (I would recommend upgrading to business class).

The pool and thermal suite are very relaxing, a great place to unwind!

I used the spa and the treatment was first class, the only negative I have is that there is a relaxation suite in the spa and people using this area are supposed to whisper. I had the misfortune to be there at the same time as a couple of ladies who were talking and laughing loudly, I was disappointed that a member of staff didn't ask them to quiten down and consider other guests who were trying to relax. This took away from my spa experience and I didn't leave the spa as relaxed as I would have hoped!

The food in the restaurant is very good, however we were disappointed to discover that the restaurant was closed on Sunday eveneing, and I think this is something guests shoould be made aware of when checking in. Also there is special offers advertised in the lifts, such as a loyalty card for quench bar, but when I asked the staff about the loyalty card they didn't know what I was talking about!

Room Tip: upgrade to business class, and ask for a room away from the air conditioning.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel and delighted that you have stayed with us on numerous occasions. We dicuss all of our reviews at our weekly management meetings and I will ensure that your comments re the Spa and Restaurant are addressed. I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 30 November 2011

had really nice meal, and great service in the restaurant, staff very professional and yet friendly still enjoying our stay....

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very positive comments with regards to our Restaurant - we pride ourselves on our quality and variety of food, with service to match. I will ensure that this is passed on directly to our staff.
Warm Regards,
North Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 November 2011

we were tired when we arrived but the staff made us feel very welcome. We both enjoyed the heated pool. We met another couple there who were from Ireland and gave us tips for great places to dine.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dayna l
RadissonLim, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Many thanks for your lovely review - hopefully you managed to rejuvenate yourselves while here. I will be delighted to pass on your nice comments to our staff. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
roscommon
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We stayed here for 3 days from 1/11/2011. Reception and accomodation staff were very good. The bedroom was very clean and comfortable, the kids enjoyed the evening playroom ( dvd, Wii, games) and we all enjoyed the pool. The thermal suite is a nice area to relax for adults. Having previously stayed in the Radisson in Galway I found the food to be disappointing. The Supper Breakfast Buffet was totally different and quite average.Crockery at breakfast was sometimes dirty, plates were cold and one coffeepot had a broken lid.We had an evening meal in the restaurant on the 1st evening and that was average. The 2nd evening we ate in the bar which was very disappointing, service very slow and told 20minutes after ordering that basic items were unavailable.Each evening we sat in the lobby areas, while the kids were in the playroom, and I noticed many other guests waiting long periods for their food and having to ask several times for things.There seemed to be plenty of staff and the hotel wasnt overly busy, it just seemed to lack organisation in the food service areas. The hotel do very good wine promotions each month, however I found it unbelievable that the wine on offer for November was all gone on the 3rd. The hotel is a very good location for exploring Limerick and Clare. We visited Thomond Park which was very enjoyable and have previously been to King Johns Castle , Foynes Flying Boat Museum, Bunratty and Killaloe which were all lovely.
We went to this hotel through Supervalu breaks which are very good value for money.
I feel that if the food side of things are improved the hotel would definitely seem more 4 star.
However we had a very relaxing break in a beautiful part of the country.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RoscommonRosaleen
Thank you for taking the time to write your review - delighted that your children enjoyed our new Activity Playroom as we have launched this just recently and that you had a relaxing experience.
In relation to your comments on our food and service, I have passed these onto our Restaurant and Bar Managers, who will certainly take them on board. We pride ourselves on our Food and Service standards so the fact you felt we did not deliver in these areas for your stay is a disappointment, however all feedback is gratefully received and discussed. I do hope that you will consider returning to us and allow us the opportunity to showcase our standards.
Warm Regards
Rathangan
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Stayed at the Limerick Radisson for one sat night towards the end of Oct. Very friendly staff at check in, room was very nice. Had lunch and drinks in the hotel bar which was excellent and we were attended to really well by more very friendly staff. After a small rest, we headed to the restaurant for dinner. This was the only disappointing aspect of our stay. The food was average, the wine list was poor and we didn't think the setting for an evening meal was very nice. We felt that the restaurant area where we were seated was too open to the hotel foyer area and lacking in atmosphere.
This aside, we had a really nice evening in the bar after dinner and had a wonderful breakfast the next morning.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay but for future visits would probably venture into the city to eat if we were looking for a more satisfying dining experience.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray64
Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay and delighted that you enjoyed it and felt our staff were very friendly. I have passed on your comments to the relevant departments, our Bar Manager Rod was happy to hear you praise his department.
In relation to the Restaurant, these comments will be discussed at their next meeting. We frequently change our Wine Lists so we will look at our current offering and see if we can change some items around to give a more rounded variety. The Restaurant is open plan, however we added in the voile a number of years back and had experimented with leaving these open - I will speak with our general manager and see if an alternative can be reached.
If I can assist you with anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me and once again, thank you for your comments.