“Lovely hotel but rooms are small”

Clayton Hotel Limerick
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for a 2 night stay with breakfast and dinner included. We found check in swift and went to our room which was clean and VERY high up with great views. The decor was lovely but I found the size of the room was small. Breakfast was lovely with a great selection and the the dinner was delicious. We are from Limerick ourselves but live in the county so it was just a little treat. Limerick gets bad press but its a wonderful city with loads of great shops and there is plenty to do and see. Id recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Limerick. Its in a great location just a few minutes walk to city centre thee food is fab and the price reasonable

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolineBee09

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I can't review the rooms as didn't stay at the hotel but attended the parties there a few times & had lunch there a few time. Food is really nice - curry is a really Curry! And all the options I went for when at the Birthday/ Christening etc. were always nice - chicken/pork. The desserts were also nice. Staff members were all pleasant. Leisure centre is also nice/ I got got membership there a few years ago - area is small but they have everything - swimming pool, steam room, sauna etc.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have stayed at least Three Times.....over the past two years and am Dissapointed, Truly Amazed by the Unfair and Non-Objective Comments submitted by a few reviewers.
On One Occassion...Its True to Say, I did have a short wait at the Reception But this was Soley Due to the Staff being very busy; I was given a Warm, Friendly, Professional welcome and the Booking In Process was completed in a Matter Of Moments.
Throughout my stay, I found the Staff Members at All Levels were Excellent...Even to the Point Where A Porter attended my room and Helped Me with set up my computer.....as I could'nt manage on my own.
The Breakfasts were Exceptional, The Restaurant and Meals Served Therein were Ist Class and because of My Experiances ( overall ) have told my Family and Friends who have Not Only
Stayed....But Had Good Stays...on each occassion.
Liam V.D.Kirken

Room Tip: Rooms on the Upper Levels are Quieter, During Busy Periods.....Best of these that Overlook the River...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here for three nights and found the hotel clean and all the staff friendly and polite, the website for this hotel does not show how good it is but I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is either on business or leisure.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with a view over the river
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of House Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us before Christmas. A lot of work has recently been done on our website in order to make the site more user friendly, with better information on the hotel itself, our special offers and tourist attractions in the area. Thank you for our lovely comments regarding our staff and hotel, they are very much appreciated.I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family & I attended Sunday lunch at the Clarion hotel yesterday the 3rd of November and I would like to complement the hotel on the quality of food and service.
We ate in the Synergie Restaurant and enjoyed the Buffet Lunch, which had a great choice that appealed to my parents, parents in law, my husband and I and also our 2 young children aged 7 and 4.
The girl that served us ( I think her name was Magda) was so helpful and accommodating. It was my husbands 40th birthday and I had left a cake in the fridge. Magda did everything to ensure we were looked after and even so far as reserved seating for us in the bar afterwards where our other family members were meeting us.
My father in law is in a wheelchair and we found the hotel very friendly
The kids playroom was very clean and well equipped with toys and games for the kids, this is a fantastic service to the hotel.

I would just like to compliment the hotel on their quality service and I will certainly be recommending it to my friends and family and will certainly return ourselves again soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed 1 night while on business in Limerick. Big hotel, room was ok but this place is definitely not worth the cost of staying. Carpets a bit ratty, signage very poor. Breakfast was pretty vile - obviously cheap ingredients. They tried to overcharge me when checking out. Room was ok. There's plenty of competition in Limerick so I think this place needs to smarten their act up.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HolidayDad2004
ClarionHotelLimerick, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you found your breakfast to be of a poor standard and that we tried to overcharge you on checkout. This is certainly not the normal standard in my hotel. Should you be returning to the area, I would appreciate if you could drop me an email directly so that I can make sure that we take very good care of you. Kind regards, Ivan Tuohy General Manager (ituohy@clarionhotellimerick.com)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

As a regular visit to the Limerick area on business, I decided to change away from my usual hotel and spend a night in the Clarion - something I've long been intending to do. Externally the building is impressive and towers above the city Skyline so naturally I was expecting great things on the inside - boy, was I wrong.

On arrival to the hotel, the first thing to strike me was that there was no receptionist behind the desk. It was at least 5 minutes before one of the girls spotted me, and after that check-in was pretty straightforward.

My room was on the 10th floor and on exiting the lift the first thing I noticed was how run down the corridor was. Scuff marks on the walls, stained carpets etc. On a strange side note, the doors to the rooms would not be out of place in a 1950's council flat, and the lack of lever's on each means they slam hard shut.

The bedroom itself was a good size, clean and the view over the river was truly amazing.

The bathroom was again quite big, with all of the usual facilities you'd expect. However the shower was broken, and hanging our of the wall so when used, water sprayed in every direction.

The bed itself was truly awful - the worst I every slept in. I'd have been more comfortable sleeping on the floor. Add to that the cheap duvet and pillows, and the fact that when I got into the bed, it hadn't been made properly and all of the sheets were bunched in up at the bottom which meant it had to be made again. Finally, the straps that keep the mattress topper on the bed were both broken and that made it worse.

One of the bedside lights had a bulb missing which was strange.

Noise around the hotel at night is minimal, apart from the occasional slamming door, as mentioned above.

I tried to order dinner to the room - so frustrating! When I called room service, it went straight to an unactivated voicemail. I then called reception who transferred me over, and again I got a voicemail. Eventually the receptionist took my order, and when the food arrived, it was cold with no condiments! By that stage I couldn't be bothered calling again.

Next morning, I got up and expected breakfast to arrive at 07.30 as per my instructions left outside, however it didn't get to the room until 08.20. Tried calling room service, but alas it went to the same voicemail as the night before. Once again the food was cold, and this time they didn't even give me a spoon to eat the cereal!

Checkout was also a mess as none of the food I had ordered was on the bill, so she had to chase someone down to get this sorted. Then an €8.50 parking charge was attached to bill.

I didn't get to use the spa/bar facilities so I cannot comment on these.

All in all, a very unpleasant and disappointing experience. The hotel looks fantastic on the outside, but inside there is much work to be done.

There are nicer hotels, costing less not far away!

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room up high, with a working shower.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business