“not a 4 stars!”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Limerick
Dublin, Ireland
“not a 4 stars!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

First there is no car park you have to use the public car park around the corner, there is no sign to tell you where to park!Once you walk all the way over to get ur car the man in the car park tells you you have to go back to the hotel to pay 1 before you can get your car out! The breakfast is really poor and not nice at all we end up to cancel the 2 days breakfast and go somewhere else! On the 1 evening we had dinner there I find 2 insects running wild in my salad it was change for something else and a complimentary drink was offered to us! The kids corner is great really well entrain the children menu is good and the portions are big enough the childen had more than enough with 1 for 2 the price is reasonable! The room are big enough with a nice view over the river Shannon

Room Tip: Book on booking.com you save you money
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mel a
ClarionHotelLimerick, at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your recent stay with us. As a city centre hotel, we do not have our own carpark. We do offer our guests reduced rates in the Eurocarpark, customers do need to validate their carpark ticket at go the hotel reception desk in order to avail of these special offer rates. I would like to apologise sincerely for the issues you experienced with your breakfast & dinner during your stay and am disappointed to read that you decided to have breakfast outside the hotel following your experience on the first morning. I would like to assure you that this is not the standard that we endeavor to provide to our hotel guests, we do receive many very positive comments on both our breakfast and dinner offerings. I will be bringing all your comments to the attention of our team to ensure such situations do not arise for future guests. I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding our Kids Club and our children’s menu, we do have a lot of families visiting the hotel and the feedback is very positive. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
Gencay, France
Reviewed 8 April 2014

On arrival, there's no obvious hotel parking. You go past the public parking you're supposed to use before you get to the hotel. Would be nice if they put a sign up to say before you have to drive all around the block....

I had a nice room at the end of the floor overlooking the river on both sides, well styled and laid out to compensate for the unusual curved shape. Yet, the wardrobe was installed on an angle and over the years the doors became misaligned meaning it was hard to shut. Or, it suddenly sprung open in the night. Tea and coffee facilities were provided, but they were tucked away in the cabinet under the TV. There was no plug or table nearby and the lead was very short, so I had to leave it on the floor next to the socket.

Bathroom was ok, but only ok. the shower was nice - not overly powerful, yet enough. But the shower screen only protects against water splashing half way along the bath. The result? Flooded bathroom floor. The fan was very noisy and seemed to stay on for a very long time after the light was switched off. The soap was only replaced once during the week i was there. Just as well i had my own.

Breakfast was ok, but again, only ok. it only opens at 7am, yet by 7.30 the hot food tastes like it was cooked several hours ago and kept warm. A small selection but plentiful supply of slightly dried breads and pastries. There was no no way they would even open up breakfast even a few minutes before 7am, which was disappointing. For a hotel which seemed to have many business guests, 7am seems quite late to open. 6.30am would be better.

The Clarion seems to generate a lot of it's business from coach tours, in the week i was there especially american coach tours. The lobby was small and at their meeting times it overflowed., making it difficult for other guests to navigate their way through.
At breakfast though it was terrible. From 7am when it opened, 50+ tourists descended on all the food meaning long queues for everyone else. It's not a big breakfast room anyway, so i imagine getting a place to sit might be tricky too. One morning i gave up and came back 40 mins later - i was lucky i was able to. As i was on a tight schedule i just didn't bother on the last morning i left. They (Clarion) really need to find a way to allow other guests to get a chance to take breakfast, like a separate tour dining area or different opening times.

It could be a good hotel. Convenient location, fair rooms, acceptable price. But it's the little thing that let it down.

Room Tip: end room on each floor gives a good view up and down the river
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MalR372
Peebles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

While the view from Ireland's tallest hotel (source, hotel) is nice I did fine the hotel basic. I rate this a 3-3.5 star hotel, looking at the hotel and services only. Not how good my weekend was. It is possible that I under rate the rooms as I was in a disabled room so bathroom was bland, overly spacious and basin was at an inappropriate height for me. That said the room was cleanish, wifi worked and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast matches that offered by hotels such as Holiday Inn and Days Inn. Basic. The location is good with a five minute walk to the restaurants and bars. We negotiated a rate of 70€ and for that I would use it again, but I read someone paid 240€. For that look elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Skytourist
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of House Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the views from our hotel and our convenient city centre location. With the hotel being the tallest in Ireland and situated right on the banks of the River Shannon, all our rooms offer panoramic views over the river. I do understand your feedback relating to your room, if you were staying in a room designed for our guests with special needs, you may have encountered certain factors which would not be an issue in our standard rooms. I am disappointed that you found your breakfast basic, breakfast is an area of the hotel on which we put a lot of emphasis and focus and have recently updated our breakfast menu and buffet layout, I hope you will notice an improvement on future stays. Thank you for your positive comments on our WiFi and beds, we offer complementary 100MB WiFi throughout the hotel and have recently investment heavily in our beds, so I very much appreciate your compliments on both. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for one night with my husband and 2 children. We were charged €240 room only. Ridiculous price for such a basic hotel. Don't know how it ever got a 4 star rating barely deserves 2 stars. Dinner was nice but breakfast was very very poor.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Niamh1izzy1
Thank you for your review. I am very disappointed to read that you did not believe our hotel deserves our four star rating and that you found the hotel overpriced. We do receive excellent feedback on our hotel and throughout the year we have many different special offers available which give excellent value for money to our guests; I’m sorry that you did not experience the same on this occasion. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings you encountered with our breakfast offering and would like to assure you that this is not the standard we endeavour to provide to our guests. Thank you for your positive comments regarding your dinner experience. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager
Co.Kerry. Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

1st impressions of the exterior of the hotel were really good, nice clean modern building set beside the docklands in the city. There is no carpark so while one person waited outside the front of the hotel in the car, I went in and sought directions, we were directed to a seperate car park which meant driving around the block again. THere is an charge of 8.50 euro and you need to get the ticket validated at reception otherwise it is more.
Check-in was nothing special and money was requested upfront, and because of this we didnt charge anything to our room.
The rooms are clean but fairly basic. Nice selection of toiletries and powerful hairdryer which was a plus.
The bar and looby are very nice and relaxing and its a nice place to relax in.
Had dinner included, the restaurant has nice views and the service and food was good. Top marks.
Breakfast the following morning didnt impress. There is a traffic light system in place so be warned that you could be waiting for a table. The layout of the buffet was a bit baffling and there was a lon long queue for the toaster. If you want eggs other than scrambled eggs then they need to be ordered. Also we had to wait 15 mins for tea/coffee to be served to us.
Overall nice average hotel. Not sure of the 4star ranking as there is certainly signs of improvement to be done especially when walking along the corridors and breakfast needs a serious overhaul.

1 Thank CU09
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you experienced shortcomings with our breakfast buffet and a delay with part of your breakfast service; at present we are working very hard to improve our breakfast offering and there is a new layout for the buffet now in place, so thank you for your constructive feedback, it is very much appreciated. As we are a city centre hotel, we do not have our own carpark, for this reason we do not have a hotel sign outside the nearby carpark as it may be misleading for our guests. I am glad to read your positive comments regarding our staff, views and food, we do receive many positive comments about these aspects of our hotel and I am very happy that you experienced the same. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

stayed in the clarion 29th march 2014 for my hen party ,what can i say ,fabulous hotel staff were very attentive ,rooms were spacious and spotless clean ,we had the hen party package with dinner included it was fantastic and great service no delays everyone was served together ,taxi's were arranged for us to go out and were there in five mins ,no rushing us out of residence bar ,breakfast was great all freshly cooked ,we will definitely be back again for girls week end ,the hen party package is a fantastic price could not be beating anywhere else i will be recommending it to more people ,fiona leahy

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
ClarionHotelLimerick, Front of HOuse Manager at Clayton Hotel Limerick, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Hi Fiona, thank you for your 5 stars and the wonderful review on our hotel. I am delighted that you and your hen party really enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your overall experience excellent. Thank you also for your lovely comments regarding our staff. I look forward to welcoming your back in the near future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager
rocky hill, CT USA
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed one night with a group tour. Knowing that Limerick s a bit gritty, we did not expect much. We were pleasantly surprised! The hotel is an eye-catching modern building on a working dock that is piled with scrap metal and is very industrial. Staff are friendly, and our room was a corner room with a great view of the river. Clean and nicely appointed. We even had a Jacuzzi tub and separate shower. We had dinner and breakfast included in our package... The dinner as OK... but INSTANT potatoes in Ireland? What an abomination! The breakfast buffet was OK, offered the full Irish Fry, but the scrambled eggs were a gelatinous vile mess. Yuck.
The Clarion is right near the great Dolan's Pub, and several others. We would stay here again.

2 Thank cathy h
Thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our hotel & Limerick City itself exceeded your expectations. Our staff are very friendly and I’m happy that you experienced the same during your stay. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the views; we do have a lovely location on the River Shannon which offers panoramic views from all our rooms. With regards to your dining experience, I would like to assure you that the potatoes we serve are not instant, all are cooked by our chefs in our kitchen, I am sorry though to read that you believed they were and that our scrambled eggs were not up to our usual standard. I will pass your comments regarding these issues directly to our Head Chef. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Kind regards, Laura McNamara, Front of House Manager